Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions: The lowdown on Palm Leaf hats...

Dm101

A-List Customer
Well...It's finally here.
Arrived today... I set to shaping it immediately. Just dunking it didn't work, I had to sit it in the hot shower for a few minutes to get it softened up. Then I set to shaping it. I'll take updated pics once I get the paracord hatband finished...but here it is as it sits currently!
Cody James - Palm Leaf Plantation Hat.jpg

Dm101

A-List Customer
I had to add some padding to the sweatband around the forehead area, this hat is REALLY hard!
Like...stiff as a board! I was honestly expecting SOME flexibility in the straw, but as it is...I could take it off and wing it like a frisbee and it might embed itself in the wall.
Now that I think about it, I should have worn it more while it was drying so it fit my L-O shaped head better instead of being more circular...yeah...I better do that today. If I don't...that's a definite headache in the future and a greater chance of the wind taking it.

If I soak it more, will it soften?
Or is this just how straw hats are?
I kinda like the idea of not worrying about it getting out of shape...but if I run into someone with this at church, they're gonna be hurting lol. I can see it now...friendly parishoner loses an eye when going in for a hug...not sure I wanna be the guy.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, that doesn't look like a Sunbody and if memory serves they're closed anyway. I have several Palm Leaf hats from them and they are pretty hard. Soaking them makes them pliable enough to shape but they dry up pretty quick. Nothing will make them into a Panama.

Later

Dm101

A-List Customer
Hi, that doesn't look like a Sunbody and if memory serves they're closed anyway. I have several Palm Leaf hats from them and they are pretty hard. Soaking them makes them pliable enough to shape but they dry up pretty quick. Nothing will make them into a Panama.

Later

Oh no....this is a Cody James Palm Leaf straw hat.
Okay, I see...well...I can live with a super stiff brim. Probably why this one has a bound edge. Keep that sharpness under wraps...lol

I think I may raise the crown about 1/2 an inch tonight. It's gotta sit deeper on my head if I'm to keep it on in the wind. That big wide brim is going to catch every breeze, sneeze and gust that exists...lol

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So, I work at the same place as the ex-wife. At work some people do the whole No-Shave November, but I've had a mustache since I was 18, and a beard since I was 23, so I can't help. I started on the Mullet and the ex said I looked Stupid in a Mullet. Duh, I thought that was the point.

Later

Dm101

A-List Customer
Wow, you're a strong man...
I had to put a whole country-side between myself and my ex.
No chance of paths crossing...
I've got the full beard and bald head, but if it were the other way around...I wouldn't complain not one bit!

Keensteen

New in Town
Traditional "panama" hats" are considered straw hats, though toquilla is not a true palm biologically speaking. Palm and palm-like fronds are torn lengthwise into thin strips, then woven together. How thin the strips are determines how flexible, tight and durable the finished hat is. In hats, the generic term straw can mean many things. It can be grasses, coated, twisted paper, cane and cane like-stalk (hemp, for instance) or plastic., besides palm. I recently saw a coconut palm hat on the Bay. The palm leaf type of straw is the best for durability (unless you like plastic), and maybe the first type of straw used in hats centuries ago. Cane straw breaks more easily and paper hates water --- my experience trying to reshape it with water or steam has several times resulted in what looks like "runs" when an individual straw in the weave, perhaps slightly thinner or thicker than the rest, absorbs more water. If there's a way to get rid of the run I haven't figured it out. Hats made from grass straw are the least expensive because the only labor involved in straw production is sorting for size. Grass straw is thin and flat and the most yellow undyed. It also turns golden with age, rather than fade. The cheapest ones are woven of grass about 1/4" wide, have no sweatband and are popular as inexpensive tourist souvenir hats. The peon straw field worker hats are another example as well as the "hillbilly" hats with a ragged, unfinished brim. Grass straw is also braided, then sewn into various styles and used for inexpensive sun hats more popular with women than men. It is fairly water-resistant in conditions short of a downpour but the straw breaks easily when dry.
I know that's a lot more data than you asked for, but it might come in handy in the future.

” It also turns golden with age, rather than fade” if only true for people as well!

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
Are Palm Leaf straw hats good or bad?

If they are good, then how good are they?

Are they better or worse than Panama hats?

Do you own any Palm Leaf straw hats? If so, do you like them?

Are they any advantages or disadvantages when it comes to the choice to wear a Panama versus wearing a Palm Leaf straw hat instead?

Do you have any other knowledge that you can share about Palm Leaf straw hats?

Are Palm Leaf straw hats good or bad?

If they are good, then how good are they?

Are they better or worse than Panama hats?

Do you own any Palm Leaf straw hats? If so, do you like them?

Are they any advantages or disadvantages when it comes to the choice to wear a Panama versus wearing a Palm Leaf straw hat instead?

Do you have any other knowledge that you can share about Palm Leaf straw hats?

It all depends on how you define “good.” Palm is very durable and hard wearing. It also does great in rain etc. It’s fairly heavy and usually not too refined. It really doesn’t make the best dress hat, but a lot depends on how fine the palm is and what you’re wanting from your hats.

Panama (genuine Panama made from toquilla straw) cover a wide range of quality. They can be made into very fine hats. They are more fragile and delicate than palm and they don’t tend to do well in the wet.

Both hats have their place, but I think they only overlap little. On occasions I want a Palm hat a Panama will rarely do and the same the other way around.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
but a lot depends on how fine the palm is and what you’re wanting from your hats.

How does one determine what is a good amount of "fineness" in a Palf Leaf hat? With Panama hats I can determine their quality, to some extent, by their WPI count.

Is there an equivalent type of measurement to the WPI measurement that is done with Panama hats, to determine the quality of a Palm Leaf hat?

How does one determine what is a good amount of "fineness" in a Palf Leaf hat? With Panama hats I can determine their quality, to some extent, by their WPI count.

Is there an equivalent type of measurement to the WPI measurement that is done with Panama hats, to determine the quality of a Palm Leaf hat?

No grading of palm fineness that I’m aware of. They usually aren’t the type of hats that lend themselves to such grading. I know SunBody offers a “fine” palm hat in addition their their standard palm, but it’s still not really much of a dress hat as I think of them. I think of palm hats as rough use hats. Some can still look decent and a bit more refined than others, but they are rough-an-tumble hats in my mind.

Genuine Classic Gangster

One of the Regulars
As most are on the lower end of consumer goods

So if a hatter was offering a high quality Palm Leaf hat which is better than most other Palm Leaf hats, then what would be the method by which the potential customer would be able to determine that they are actually & for sure buying a higher quality Palm Leaf hat?

Also, how is one to know whether it's a good idea for them to buy a Palm Leaf hat, or instead to just stick with their current stock of Panama hats?

What would be the reasons why someone would buy a Palm Leaf hat, other than because they have a relatively cheap cost?

I noted earlier it was stated because they are good in rain and for rough wearing, but are those the only reasons, or are there more reasons too?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
I noted earlier it was stated because they are good in rain and for rough wearing, but are those the only reasons, or are there more reasons too?

That's about it. Palm leaf hats (and Shantung straw hats) are generally inexpensive, so I'm not too concerned about giving it some abuse or rough treatment (blowing off in high wind, or, like mine, I'm not too concerned if it falls off in mud and cow ×××t when I work livestock, leaving it in a hot car all day long). Generally speaking, they are consumable items that perform their function for a few years (some for many years) and are then replaced. Over time, palm leaf and shantung tend to stain, dull and discolor (in my experience) more than Panama, but I do not treat my Panama's so rough either.

No grading of palm fineness that I’m aware of. They usually aren’t the type of hats that lend themselves to such grading. I know SunBody offers a “fine” palm hat in addition their their standard palm, but it’s still not really much of a dress hat as I think of them. I think of palm hats as rough use hats. Some can still look decent and a bit more refined than others, but they are rough-an-tumble hats in my mind.
I don't own a palm leaf hat but I tried a few on in Art's shop a few years back. I was surprised at how heavy they felt on my head compared to my Panama. I thought they might work as rough wear gardening hat but I had my doubts about that based on how heavy they felt on my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112