Question: The lowdown on Palm Leaf hats...

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Dm101, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Well...It's finally here.
    Arrived today... I set to shaping it immediately. Just dunking it didn't work, I had to sit it in the hot shower for a few minutes to get it softened up. Then I set to shaping it. I'll take updated pics once I get the paracord hatband finished...but here it is as it sits currently!
    Cody James - Palm Leaf Plantation Hat.jpg

2. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I had to add some padding to the sweatband around the forehead area, this hat is REALLY hard!
    Like...stiff as a board! I was honestly expecting SOME flexibility in the straw, but as it is...I could take it off and wing it like a frisbee and it might embed itself in the wall.
    Now that I think about it, I should have worn it more while it was drying so it fit my L-O shaped head better instead of being more circular...yeah...I better do that today. If I don't...that's a definite headache in the future and a greater chance of the wind taking it.

If I soak it more, will it soften?
    Or is this just how straw hats are?
    I kinda like the idea of not worrying about it getting out of shape...but if I run into someone with this at church, they're gonna be hurting lol. I can see it now...friendly parishoner loses an eye when going in for a hug...not sure I wanna be the guy.

3. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, that doesn't look like a Sunbody and if memory serves they're closed anyway. I have several Palm Leaf hats from them and they are pretty hard. Soaking them makes them pliable enough to shape but they dry up pretty quick. Nothing will make them into a Panama.

Later

4. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Oh no....this is a Cody James Palm Leaf straw hat.
    Okay, I see...well...I can live with a super stiff brim. Probably why this one has a bound edge. Keep that sharpness under wraps...lol

I think I may raise the crown about 1/2 an inch tonight. It's gotta sit deeper on my head if I'm to keep it on in the wind. That big wide brim is going to catch every breeze, sneeze and gust that exists...lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Rmccamey likes this.
  5. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Cody James - Palm Leaf Plantation Hat 1.jpg Cody James - Palm Leaf Plantation Hat 2.jpg

Widest brim I own...

6. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

But I'm happy...it looks like I finally found my "CALEB" hat... Caleb before-after.jpg

Rmccamey and johnnycanuck like this.
  7. 1961MJS

Yep, looks good, but I bet it takes a while to grow your hair out...

Later

Dm101 likes this.
  8. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

I tell you what...if I could grow hair like that just once more, I'd never cut it again.
    I'd be the Sampson of the new age!

9. 1961MJS

So, I work at the same place as the ex-wife. At work some people do the whole No-Shave November, but I've had a mustache since I was 18, and a beard since I was 23, so I can't help. I started on the Mullet and the ex said I looked Stupid in a Mullet. Duh, I thought that was the point.

Later

Dm101 likes this.
  10. Dm101

Dm101 A-List Customer

Wow, you're a strong man...
    I had to put a whole country-side between myself and my ex.
    No chance of paths crossing...
    I've got the full beard and bald head, but if it were the other way around...I wouldn't complain not one bit!