Questions about Star Sportswear G-1's

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by pjman, Dec 11, 2017.

1. pjman

pjman Familiar Face

How do Star Sportswear G-1's stack up against others in terms of quality? Were all Star G-1's the C series? Were these jackets cowhide or goatskin?

Thanks in advance!

2. galvestonokie

galvestonokie Familiar Face

IMHO, the Star jackets were among the better made of the G-1 series. Stars were made in more than the C series. Prior to the E series, the Star jackets were goat. The E series may have been pressed cow/steer hide. you can see Roger Moore's USN leather jacket website for details.

pjman likes this.
  3. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Had a 70's Star in Goat, size 48, absolutely loved it. Fitted in all respects apart from snug (to me) shoulder fit...deal breaker unfortunately. Had the shoulders been a bit wider It would have been a Grail jacket :)

pjman likes this.
  4. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I own two Star Sportswear G-1's, a 1969 D series and a 1972 E series, and I think they are first rate jackets. The D series jacket has a real mouton fur collar and the goatskin is noticeably thicker and nicer than that of the later E series.
    Both jackets fit well and I recall reading somewhere that Star G-'s were a little roomier than Ralph Edwards and Brill Brothers jackets.
    If you are thinking about purchasing a star G1, I say go for it. If it is a C series, then all the more reason to buy.

pjman likes this.
  5. thor

thor One Too Many

I agree with everyone’s Star assessment. Nice jackets and a company that has a long history of supplying leather jackets to the military. I have a 1973 Star G-1 and the goatskin has the most incredible graining and patina imaginable.

pjman likes this.
  6. GregGale

GregGale One of the Regulars

What about sizing? If I wear a size 40 ELC Star A-2, would a size 40 original Star G-1 be a safe bet?

7. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

It should be a good fit Greg. The G-1 has an action back which allows for more freedom of movement and makes the jacket feel larger then it is. I also find that goat has a little more flex then cow or horse as well as being a bit lighter.

davyjones007 likes this.
  8. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

Still looking? :)

9. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

As always :)

10. ButteMT61

ButteMT61

I might be willing now. Thinking of moving to more non-leather bits for a while.
    Hit me up if your'e interested...