Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. dubpynchon

dubpynchon Practically Family

I have an original (from 1967 or so) in kersey and a Schott 740n in melton. The original is the more impressive coat, the quality is very high and it's hard to imagine so many being made so quickly at such high standard, it couldn't happen these days. On the other hand I wear the Schott more, it's warmer as it has a polyester lining. For warmth though you can't beat sheepskin.

2. Nigel Doe

Nigel Doe New in Town

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading the forums for a while, mostly about other clothing styles, and this is my first post.

I've been considering buying a Peacoat for years and soon decided I wanted to buy vintage. I finally found one that's the right size:

It's Dark Navy, unlined, 7 button with light brown corduroy pocket lining. It has a white label stating "Manufactured for Naval Clothing Depot". From my own limited knowledge gained from this forum I've estimated that it's post 1950 and pre-1968.

Most of the damage I can repair, and I can live with some wear. It's part of the jacket. However what I'm not sure I can live with are brown marks on the edge of the lapels, in the image attached. I'm not sure if this is just dirt or where the material has faded.

Does anyone have any views on the age and what these marks could be?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

3. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

Don't know why I missed this post when it came through last month.

But to answer your questions, your coat is between 1949 and 1955. If I had a picture of the tag, I could get it closer. As to the marks on the lapel, don't know what it is.

Later today, I am going to move this to the major Peacoat thread.

And a belated welcome to the Lounge. PC