Questions About the United States Navy Peacoat

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Matt Jones, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Doctor Damage

Doctor Damage My Mail is Forwarded Here

Robert Redford in Thee Days of the Condor (great film if you haven't seen it). He's got a civilian pea coat. This is an old movie, so this civilian version must have been designed in the 1970s or earlier.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  2. Doctor Damage

(from various sources)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

davyjones007 likes this.
  3. Doctor Damage

These photos are from a 2014 Boston Globe article on Sterlingwear.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

davyjones007 and Trenchfriend like this.
  4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

The first photo on the left, above the Sterlingwear pictures, gives good detail for the WWI era peacoat. They are so rare I have never seen one in person and don't know when the style changed to that of the WWII era peacoat. Someone on the Lounge, Spoonbelly perhaps, suggested it may have been about 1936. Thanks for posting the photos.

5. Doctor Damage

The fourth pic in that row, the one in faded sepia tones, also shows the same WW1 coats of course. I'm surprised that you've never owned a WW1 version, but they must be exceedingly rare like you say.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  6. Spoonbelly

Spoonbelly One of the Regulars

Peacoat,
    I'm pretty sure it was a 1938. Wish I knew where I saw it. Was one of those sites that you just come across when going through Google, etc. I think I'll enter 1938 US Navy peacoat and see what happens. To tell you the truth I'm not too crazy about the WWI coats. My favorite are the post WWII, and then the WWII coats. Supposed to go into the 90s today and tomorrow as it has for a good part of the summer. Maybe I'll take a cruise (or walk) in one of my coats (LOL).

7. Slobo

Slobo New in Town

At this link, you'll find the USCG uniform regs from 1930 as amended through mid 1941. On p. 94 of the .pdf, you will note an amendment dated 11/21/1938 replacing the prior specs for the peacoat (as recognized by the USCG) and substituting the specs as we know WW2-era peacoats to be.

https://www.uscg.mil/history/docs/uniforms/USCG1930UniformRegs.pdf

I am assuming the language replaced was the WW1-era peacoat specs. Since the USCG followed the USN uniform regs rather closely, with the exception of cap devices and gold buttons and corps distinctions, presumably the USN adopted these specs sometime around 1938 or before. Still a mystery to me is whether the 11/21/1938 amendment was playing catch up after a more prolonged period of USN specs being in place, or whether they came close in time to each other.

8. Peacoat

Unfortunately for me the link only has VIII Chapters going to page 63. I see no way to get to page 94. I have opened the link twice with the same results each time.

I would think the regulations came close in time together and perhaps simultaneously. The two services do communicate and probably collaborated in developing new uniforms as they were basically the same back then, and probably still are.

This appears to me to be a major find which is corroborated by the comments of Spoonbelly above.

9. Doctor Damage

I got the whole thing no probs. Try a different browser, like Firefox.

10. Peacoat

Thanks for the suggestion; Firefox opened the entire document.

Wow, this is a major discovery. Looks like the WWI era changed over to the WWII era on November 21, 1938. Although this is a Coast Guard document, I think the link between the two services is sufficient to suggest the Navy also changed over on or about this date.

Slobo, you have earned your keep with this find.

11. Spoonbelly

Spoonbelly One of the Regulars

Just thought I'd throw this out. Speaking of USCG coats. I bought a WWII USCG coat from ebay. Don't know what year it was but it wound up being a size 44 instead of my size 46. I decided to sell it back on ebay. The material on that coat was INCREDIBLE. Superior and more beautiful then the other USN WWII coat that I have. It bummed me out that it didn't fit.

12. Slobo

Slobo New in Town

If the first link is not getting you the whole document. Try the link(s) off the Coast Guard's website here:
    https://www.uscg.mil/history/uscghist/USCG_Uniform_Index.asp

When I found these the other day, I felt like I had found the key to the kingdom. Thank you Coast Guard -- Semper Paratus.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  13. Peacoat

Yes, this is excellent. Now put your browser to work and see if you can dig up the corresponding U. S. Navy documents so we can probe my theory that both services adopted the WWII style at about the same time. And I'll bet that the Merchant Marine did the same thing.

14. Slobo

Slobo New in Town

Done, and no dice.

15. Peacoat

Keep trying. It took me three years to put together the research on vintage Navy peacoats. Don't give up after a few hours.

16. artemv

artemv New in Town

What you can say about this one? Can buy that coat for 50$, wors it?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Peacoat

What is the provenance of this coat; is it a German peacoat?

18. artemv

artemv New in Town

19. Doctor Damage

It looks very nice, I like the proportions. The Soviet/Russian ones are nice too, but of low quality.

20. artemv

artemv New in Town

So much has been said about US coats. In before i would like to hear some information about the German ones.