Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about toppers

Alon

One of the Regulars
Gents,

I'm desperately looking for a top hat but they seem to be extremely rare in my size, 7 1/2. I was wondering if a professional hatter can expand a top hat as he can a fedora? The reason I ask is because I've seen several 7 1/4 toppers for sale and I wonder if, with a bit of a stretch, they could be made to fit.

The second question is about the shine. Can older top hats that have lost their shine be shined again by a professional hatter?

Thank you!

DNO

One Too Many
A top hat is one of the only style of hat I have not yet found so I can't help you much there but I've stretched quite a few fedoras. A two size stretch (from 7 1/4 to 7 1/2) is a bit risky with a fedora. The hat can easily be distorted...that's aside from the probable damage to the sweatband. In the case of a topper, I don't think I'd risk it.

John Galt

Vendor
Gents,

I'm desperately looking for a top hat but they seem to be extremely rare in my size, 7 1/2. I was wondering if a professional hatter can expand a top hat as he can a fedora? The reason I ask is because I've seen several 7 1/4 toppers for sale and I wonder if, with a bit of a stretch, they could be made to fit.

The second question is about the shine. Can older top hats that have lost their shine be shined again by a professional hatter?

Thank you!

This would be quite difficult, I think. Possible with a proper lacquer thinner, but the taper would almost certainly be noticeable, even then. I agree that 2 sizes is a bit of a stretch (couldn't help it ;-) even for a soft hat. I know from experience that a homburg doesn't take even one size well due to stiffness, and they are less stiff than a topper. Also, most toppers, I think, have hard cardboard frames that would not be conducive to stretching.

Probably you ought to have one made. There's a lady on Etsy who makes toppers, and Optimo & others should be able to do the same ($$).

-30-

A-List Customer
I cannot see for the life of me ever being able to s t r e t c h a top hat, for aside from the other reasons

given above, the majority of these hats being silk plush with a hard base, they are of a material unlike

felt which can be reformed with relative ease.

Although on occasion, rather fine top hats are available at The Sunday St Lawrence Antique Market in Toronto,

I have never seen one as to your size, nor for that matter, one of my size either.

All that I have to recommend is, Good Hunting.

As an aside, you, I, et al, should be kicking ourselves in that there were scads of these hats once for sale at

Thrift Shops sixty years past at the grand price of one to two dollars per. - LOL.

Regards,
J T

fedoracentric

Banned
No, top hats cannot be stretched. At all. They are not soft, stretchable hats. They are made exactly to size.

As to having one made today, you simply won't be able to find anyone that can make one today like they did in the old days. Even the very expensive ones won't look like they did back then. Those days are over in my opinion. Those sharp edges, fine lines, delicate curl to the brim... gone, gone, gone. What you'll get now is rounded edges, bulbous brims, bloated lines... they just don't make 'em like they used to.

As to that shine, in the old days they used to sell a hat iron that was placed on a gas jet and heated. Then the hot iron was brushed over the silk going with the grain and this pressed and shined up the silk fibers. Here is what they looked like

http://collectibles.about.com/od/pr...ron-Pictures-and-Prices/Top-Hat-Iron.-XRm.htm

I have no idea if they ever made an electric one, but I'd guess they did. I've never seen one, though.

Proper black, formal top hats are not made of beaver or felt. They are silk. Though the colored ones (like tan and gray) are of felt. A wool top hat will never hold its shape. In time it will become misshapen.

If I were you I'd just keep looking on ebay and wait until I find one that fits, but beware. 99.9 percent of all top hat sellers on ebay have not one clue about what they have.

These are my impressions. Correct me if I'm wrong and good luck.

Alon

One of the Regulars
Thank you for the feedback, guys. You saved me from bidding on a 7 1/4 topper which would've never fit.

You may want to check German eBay. There are usually a decent number of vintage Zylinder Huete and I do see 60cm ones pop up occasionally. You will pay more for larger sizes and better condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ