Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

questions re button & sticker

budward

One of the Regulars
'lo all. I have two questions about my Borsalino. First, just below the ribbon on the hat band there's a small button looking thing in the same material as the band. What's that? Second, the (at least nicer) hats I've seen have the size stamped on the band or on a tab or something that looks like it's intended to have the same life span as the hat. Mine doesn't have that but instead has a sticker with the size (actually 4 different translations of what must be the same size--60, 6 1/2, 7 3/8 [UK], and 7 1/2 [USA]), which frankly looks kinda cheap. Am I expecting too much? Thanks for your help.

bud

Bud,

I am guessing that your Borsalino is not vintage by the way you describe it. In the vintage Borsalinos, the size would be on a material tag that is at the back of the hat---in the 1960s it became paper. I am sure you probably know all those size variations are from different measuring systems. The 60 is 60cm. 6 1/2 is the French size system. The others you have already identified. :)
That little button is the end of the wind trolley or wind string. That button goes in your lapel or such to keep the hat from flying off you head and into some place where you will never be able to extricate it. ;)
As I said before, it looks like you have the newer Borsalino. Does the sweatband look like this:
NewBorsalinosweat.jpg

and the liner like this?:
NewLiner.jpg

You will notice part of the little sticker on the sweatband that should be something like yours.
In answer to your question, you might be expecting too much from a modern Borsalino. They just do not make them like they used to unless you trek to Italy and get one yourself---to the tune of at least $600. :eek: That is not for the best quality one either. :p

Regards to all,

J

P.S. Here is the inside of a 1960 Borsalino:
1960Borsalino.jpg
Notice any difference?

budward

One of the Regulars
James--Mine does look like that, and you're right, not vintage, alas. Interesting, now that you mention it, the button thing is part of a slip knot on a stretchy string. I'm not sure how that would actually function over the brim, though. Thanx for your post.

ginobarracuda said:
Interesting... I'd never heard of a wind trolley or wind string before...
where does that attach? On the collar?

It attaches to any handy button hole. It can be the collar but it was meant to be buttoned onto a jacket. The string uncoils from the hat crown. It gives you quite a bit of line. the button is then inserted in the button hole on the lapel---usually. ;)

Regards to all,

J

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
Oddly by coincidence, I'm reading ' Hatless Jack: The President, the Fedora, and the History of American Style' by Neil Steinberg. Today at lunch, on page 126, he talks all about the button in well made hats, wind trolleys, and lapel button holes...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy