Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick, low maitenece retro eye look for sensetive eyes

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
I am looking for a low quick, low maintenece retro look for sensetive eyes. I love the look of the old hollywood starlets, but can't wear mascara :(, every brand I have ever tried has bothered me, so that is out. Right now, an everyday look for me is red lipstick and some foundation. Can anyone suggest a nice basic eye look to go with this?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm really, really stupid when it comes to eye makeup. I just wear a little bit of Benefit High Beam (a sheer, pale pink shimmer) and mascara (just cos my black eyebrows get all dusty from my face powder).

I've fooled around with liquid liner before, but I have no idea what style to do it in to suit my eyes. I have big, kinda deep set eyes with heavy eyebrow skin, if you know what I mean (I'm not looking forward to when those start sagging!), so I don't even know if eyeliner suits me at all.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Hi Nic,

One suggestion is to get an eye lash curler, even though you can not wear mascara you can at least curl your lashes which will make them look longer and give you a more open eyed look.

I know you are into the 1930's so I will explain a 1930's look for day and one for night....

For a 1930's day time look for eyes: the eye lids were shiney and so were the brows, they applied petroleum jelly on the eye lids and the brows. Finnish by curling the lashes.

I dont use any products containing petro-chemicals so when I want to acheive this type of look I have a clear Aveda lip gloss (in a little round plastic container) I apply this to my eye lids and brows. If you do not want to use petro chemicals (which is not good for sensitive eyes) you can try a clear gloss like what I do or you can go to a natural grocery and get an unpetroleum product which is basicaly vasaline with out the petro in it. I learned the clear lip gloss trick when I worked for Aveda as a make-up artist and at that time I did a lot of stage work for the big hair and make up shows.

1930's night look for eyes: a light shimmery eye lid with a dark crease was the look back then. Here is how you would achieve this look, apply a light shimmer shadow over entire lid from lash line to brow, apply a dark shadow into the upper crease and smudge slightly. Apply white liner to the inner rim of bottom lid. Then curl lashes.

For a heavy lidded look apply a few false lashes at the outer corners of the lash line (the upper lid of course) then apply mascara which of course you would leave the mascara off in your case.

To complete your look do not forget your brows...
Brows were tweezed thin or shaved off and drawn on (which of course i would not recomend shaving them off) after they are tweezed thin or thinner if you do not want to go real extreme then use a brow pencil slightly darker than your hair color. Back then it was common to extend the brow line down and a little longer then the actual brow with your brow pencil (the idea is to have them narrow and long). Then shine up your brows with, petroleum jelly, olive oil or brilliantine.

Brooksie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff