Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quintessential modern production fedora.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As the title states - what is the must have modern production fedora on the market today?
Years ago I would have told you an Akubra federation hands down. But the thread has been dead since December until this last Saturday.
I seem to be a little out of touch. Let's hear what the popular vote is today in late 2016?
Johnny

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
As the title states - what is the must have modern production fedora on the market today?
Years ago I would have told you an Akubra federation hands down. But the thread has been dead since December until this last Saturday.
I seem to be a little out of touch. Let's hear what the popular vote is today in late 2016?
Johnny
Stetsonian.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Low production, but the Penman "Everyman" is my vote for a factory produced hat.

Big name production hat? I'm still looking. I'm odd man out, but - honestly - my Imperial felt Akubra Coober Pedy is not what I was expecting. I do like the hat - a lot! - but the quality of the felt is not there compared to other rabbit felts I've seen. I'm honestly afraid to take it out in the rain. It just feels fragile to me... and looks like it was made from a slurry of wet cardboard and bonding agents. There, I said it.

Maybe the Fed IV is a better hat, but I'm not game to try. I'm sticking with customs or vintage from here on out unless I can handle the hat in hand prior to purchase.

I have the same gripe about Stetson. Maybe the Stetsonian is a better hat than my "Murphy," but I won't buy another one unless I see better up close and personal.

Knotten

Practically Family
I love my Stetsonian. The dimensions are classic and the construction is great. But it also costs a lot more than the Fed IV, which still is a great production hat. If you have a budget below $200 for a production hat, Fed IV is still the choice in my book.

I actually handled a brand new Stetson Whippet and their idea of a Stratoliner today. For a couple hundred bucks, I was underwhelmed. The construction and quality were there, but something just didn't feel right. I guess I have become a vintage snob expecting buttery felt and a sweat that does not look like it is paper thin. Nice hats, but I really think for the same money I could have a hat with better "hand".

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Fed IV or Campdraft would be my choice (by a wide margin).

FedOregon - when I got my Campdraft, about 5 years ago, I also thought the felt was like cardboard. With a lot of use (in the crappiest weather from tropical storm drenching, to snow, to 100+ degree sweatfests) it has softened up beautifully and is still as good as new.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Low production, but the Penman "Everyman" is my vote for a factory produced hat.

Big name production hat? I'm still looking. I'm odd man out, but - honestly - my Imperial felt Akubra Coober Pedy is not what I was expecting. I do like the hat - a lot! - but the quality of the felt is not there compared to other rabbit felts I've seen. I'm honestly afraid to take it out in the rain. It just feels fragile to me... and looks like it was made from a slurry of wet cardboard and bonding agents. There, I said it.

Maybe the Fed IV is a better hat, but I'm not game to try. I'm sticking with customs or vintage from here on out unless I can handle the hat in hand prior to purchase.

I have the same gripe about Stetson. Maybe the Stetsonian is a better hat than my "Murphy," but I won't buy another one unless I see better up close and personal.
I agree it can be hit or miss with Stetson.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Fed IV or Campdraft would be my choice (by a wide margin).

FedOregon - when I got my Campdraft, about 5 years ago, I also thought the felt was like cardboard. With a lot of use (in the crappiest weather from tropical storm drenching, to snow, to 100+ degree sweatfests) it has softened up beautifully and is still as good as new.
I would agree with Akubra also.
I love my Stetsonian. The dimensions are classic and the construction is great. But it also costs a lot more than the Fed IV, which still is a great production hat. If you have a budget below $200 for a production hat, Fed IV is still the choice in my book.
Absolutely that and the Camp Draft are the best bang for the buck. Unless you factor in my perfect $90 Stetsonian I stole from the outlet.

I noticed in another thread your Murphy is of Imperial Quality. I'd say that, if you go with Stetson, you should stay with Royal Quality or above. Most of the open crowns Stetson has on the market right now are Royal Deluxe - this is what the Stetsonian is. Their other production felts don't seem to be up to snuff.

Everything about my Stetsonian is top-notch. The felt is thicker than vintage, but it is soft, shapes easily, and is nice to wear. The sweatband is one of the most comfortable, and softest, of any modern production hat I have.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider