Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren's idiotic PRE-DISTRESSED fedora

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, a lot of the RRL line is some type of clothing attire that has a torn up old look to it, and for some reason people want to spend money on it. I notice the hat is wool, looks like a Bailey from the 1980's. Who was it P.T. Barnum, "A sucker was born every minute"?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The guys from consumer science need their successes, too. What greater success than making people shell out big bucks for something totally worthless they don't need and making them feel good about it?

Well, look at what they do with jeans nowadays. When I was a kid they were "self-distressed".

I could see doing that with a cowboy hat, but a fedora? Not only that, it's wool not even fur felt.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I bet the question of whether or not something will sell in its distressed form is applied to every item that comes out of 650 Madison.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
For that price I could get a custom hat from Optimo and distress it myself to my heart's content, and it would most likely look infinitely better.

But then I fail to understand a lot of modern fashion. For example, why would anyone who was willing to spend $10,000 on a suit go to Armani when they could afford Saville Row (not that Armani doesn't make a good suit, I just suspect that Saville Row can do better plus it would be personalised).

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
"This is Freddy Krueger's hat ... he bought it from Ralph Lauren..."

Freddy.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Back in my early 20s I thought about starting a business that sold jeans with real bullet holes in them. I don't see why it wouldn't work for hats. I thought the jeans we tested looked pretty good with .45 caliber holes in them, and would look even better if we could get a $100 premium for them. lol.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ