Rand's Custom Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by DnSchlng, Jul 25, 2009.

1. DnSchlng

DnSchlng One of the Regulars

I think I've read some things about them here but couldnt find it in a search, anyway does anyone have any hats from Rands? so far there one of the only custom hatters that send out a catalog that I know of. They mostly deal with cowboy and western hats.

2. DnSchlng

thanks for the link i actually havent heard of them before now

3. K.D. Lightner

K.D. Lightner Call Me a Cab

I have a Rand's hat I got off eBay, of all places, a couple of years ago. I think they were selling off some hats.

Don't have a photo of it in my collection, but if you go to:

http://www.randhats.com/catalog.cfm

... the cowboy hat shown at the top left hand corner is my hat. It is called a Gus Chisolm or a Gunfighter. It is an 8X beaver and a sand color.

A wonderful hat and I got it for a pittance. It has my name stamped in it, has a silk lining.

karol

4. DnSchlng

thats a nice hat but is water/weatherproof? or is your special occasion hat

5. K.D. Lightner

K.D. Lightner Call Me a Cab

I don't know, I haven't worn it out in bad weather, but if it is 8X beaver, it should have some protection. It think 10X is the highest.

It was supposed to be worn out in wild weather, thus the stampede strap.

Like most all cowboy hats, it is stiff. I wonder if rain would soften it.

karol

6. JPMcAdara

JPMcAdara Familiar Face

I do not have one of his hats, but I have talked to Ritch on numerous occasions. He is a really nice guy and is easy to talk to. He says he makes hats that are meant to be worn and will definitely stand up to the elements. He obviously know his stuff and really makes some of the finest hats.
    Another guy you may want to look up for durable western is Mike Moore at Buckaroo Hatters. He really makes some great stuff and also does a really nice fedora.

JP

7. High Pockets

High Pockets Practically Family

For anyone looking for an unbelievable hat in a western style, I'd suggest Mike's Custom Hatters:

http://www.mikescustomhatters.com/

I bought one of his "Gus" hats in 7x at a SASS event 6 years ago and that beauty is still stiff enough to park a truck on!

8. Aerol

Aerol A-List Customer

Hat saddles

I never bought a hat from them, but their Hat Saddles, while pricey, are the best thing in the world for hanging hats.

9. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

I don't know about Rand, but there are quite a few
    cowboy hat makers with catalogs online. I've always
    wanted to order from these guys, former Lounge members:
    http://www.rockymountainhatcompany.com/

I've heard good things about this current Lounge member:
    http://www.northvalleyhatco.com/

If you're gonna pay that kind of money for a felt hat, it had
    better be able to take some rain.

10. DnSchlng

thanks for more links guys. I dont know why but even though i could see things online anytime, I just really like seeing it in print.

11. Incoming:

0D5434F1-87BF-48E8-89E7-094C266FEB01.jpeg 66E24F52-795A-4238-AD68-7E1525B47633.jpeg

High hopes for this hat.

12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Anxious to get your review. Rand's hats are at the top end of the western price point scale. I follow them on FB and the pics they show of their refurbishments of some pretty nasty hats is amazing.

13. The hat looks to be in good shape, but their $150 renovation package sounds like a bargain, even their $200 worst case price is a good value if the felt is quality to start with.

I’m not looking to needlessly spend $150, but I’m tempted to try it to get basically a new custom Rand! I bought this hat “right.” :)

Desert dog likes this.
  14. Ross Young

Ross Young A-List Customer

I had randomly searched for a silversmith to punch a hole in my new hat band to extend it as far as it will fit, the closest one to my house was called Silver King. Sure enough, they’re long time western artists that partnered with Rand (among other hatters) to make their hat bands! Small world, and very nice people with exceptional products.

15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The guy that does the refurbs must be a master as the 'before' pics are some beat up hard worn abused western working hats and he turns them back to like new. Shows how forgiving a good fur felt can be.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  16. 55EBC962-D810-4F26-BEDB-68AEDB281AE1.jpeg CB03A741-0C49-43AB-B4F5-B972F01DA1B8.jpeg 32FF0336-F726-4D9B-B387-A3F7CA7799DD.jpeg 5383C2C2-90E4-41F7-B7FA-3576E1B00DD4.jpeg 0E5253D6-3207-410C-A65E-2DC9B15F0384.jpeg C0533B16-B09E-443A-B667-AF211020984A.jpeg B4FA8FA2-70F9-4C64-9D36-03E429DCB9D1.jpeg 60537547-F8A1-4F5C-A738-A4B3DCE24E7C.jpeg

I’m not hugely impressed. There isn’t a quality/felt designation on the hat, but I feels like rabbit and/or a rabbit hare blend. It’s not particularly dense and the whole feel of the hat is a resounding average. I changed the brim and after taking it to open crown I re-creased it. The felt reminds me of 1970s 5X hats from Stetson and Resistol. The build quality is fine, the pouncing is even, and the leather sweatband is supple. Nothing wrong with the hat, but nothing special either. I assume their higher tier hats are more impressive. It’s also a bit smaller than the seller stated, and that makes it even easier to move it on to someone else.

Attached Files:

17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

That is at least a $500 hat you have there if I remember correctly as that is about their entry level pricing and it goes waaay up from there. Nice looking at at this distance.

18. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi
    If I didn't have 3 rough-rider styled hats from Mike Moore (Buckaroo) and one from Tony Bruener (Tumwater), I might be interested. I like the wider ribbon.
    Later

19. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Hey all!
    I found this Rand while out thrifting today. Unusual color on a Western.

20210108_163911.jpg 20210108_163859.jpg 20210108_163848.jpg 20210108_163838.jpg

No liner, tag or sticker. Here's the stamps.

20210108_165333.jpg 20210108_163820.jpg 20210108_162722.jpg

The last pic explains the very small size.
    Measures 7 1/4" by 6 1/8". Brim is 3 3/4", the crown 5" at highest point as creased. 206g. The felt is nicer than my 3X Resistol.
    I'm guessing Holly paid some serious cheddar for this one new...
    Not sure what to do with it being so small. Maybe it will fit my younger niece...