Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rant!

Rosie

One Too Many
I can't fully enjoy The Fedora Lounge at work anymore! :( I keep getting this message:

Symantec Web Security
This page will not be displayed because it contains prohibited words or it has exceeded its tolerance of questionable words.

What gives! I know you guys don't have potty mouth.

I'm so sad. I wonder if I'll be able to see my own post. :( :( :(

Now how will I pass the time?

Rosie

One Too Many
Well, I can see this thread.

I'm not blocked at the home page, just random threads. I haven't been able to read a thread other than this one all day. A technician came and hooked up a new laser printer yesterday and now I can't read anything.

Blasted printer! :mad: (I'll see if that "blasted" bans my sensitive eyes to this thread also)

Rosie

One Too Many
lacking a snappy signature line.

That's a pretty snappy signature line. lol

Now I've resorted to gathering my entertainment from signature lines, how pathetic. :eek:

Symantec uses a DDR score. If the number of questionable words on a page exceeds this score (usually 90 and above as determined by some convoluted algorithm) then the page is blocked. So if the word 'Nazi' appears in the title of a thread and the word 'lingerie' appears conjunctively in another thread, then the score could be exceeded (i.e. the system thinks, Nazi + Lingerie = Perverted Sex Site) As the titles in the forum change, you would think that the score would change and the system would let you in, but there are those nastly little things like cookies that hang around the system and make it think that the site is still questionable. You can always try to clear your local cache (Tools, Internet Options in IE) but sometimes the sysadmin has to reboot the proxy server.

Hope that sheds some light.

Regards,

Senator Jack

S

Samsa

Perhaps the word Lolita? (I certainly don't mean to pick on you Lolita Haze!) Just saying, in cyber land that word has certain....er...naughty connotations. Perhaps the program runs through all the words in a thread and bases its decisions on the quantity of certain words. If so, I'm guessing the word Lolita would not be understood by the program in the context it is meant here.

Just a guess.

I just realized that you cannot type the word Lolita in quotation marks without the laughing emoticon showing up - or even without them in lower case! How amusing.

Hondo

One Too Many
Its your "spam filter" software blocking out those words or pictures, unless your good friends or trust the person who is admin. of your system software, speak with them about it, to change, Allow access, like this website, else... don't get your self into trouble, using company PC, they will run a check , like emails, make sure people are working and not goofing off, be very careful where you trek.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
The Lounge is banned by our webmaster for "Message Boards and Chat Rooms." So I use it before and after work which sucks because I'll have a lot of downtime in the next week.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Samsa said:
Perhaps the word Lolita? (I certainly don't mean to pick on you Lolita Haze!) Just saying, in cyber land that word has certain....er...naughty connotations. Perhaps the program runs through all the words in a thread and bases its decisions on the quantity of certain words. If so, I'm guessing the word Lolita would not be understood by the program in the context it is meant here.

Just a guess.

I just realized that you cannot type the word Lolita in quotation marks without the laughing emoticon showing up - or even without them in lower case! How amusing.

No I definitely think Lolita is the reason the Lounge is banned at my work.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Symantec uses a DDR score. If the number of questionable words on a page exceeds this score (usually 90 and above as determined by some convoluted algorithm) then the page is blocked. So if the word 'Nazi' appears in the title of a thread and the word 'lingerie' appears conjunctively in another thread, then the score could be exceeded (i.e. the system thinks, Nazi + Lingerie = Perverted Sex Site) As the titles in the forum change, you would think that the score would change and the system would let you in, but there are those nastly little things like cookies that hang around the system and make it think that the site is still questionable. You can always try to clear your local cache (Tools, Internet Options in IE) but sometimes the sysadmin has to reboot the proxy server.

Hope that sheds some light.

Regards,

Senator Jack

The things you learn here! lol

Luckily I am not blocked, but have been so busy I can't browse in here as much as I would like to during working hours. :rage: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko