Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate My Look

StanleyVanBuren

So, out of mostly my own personal curiosity, and perhaps somewhat narcissistically, I thought it might be interesting to post my daily wardrobe for comments and criticism. I'm not a huge vintage aficionado as many here are, but I am into all those things Classic Style seems to be on about with classic-inspired wardrobe, fusing the vintage and modern looks (and taking the best of both), and all that good stuff.

That said, I'm looking for opinions on how I'm doing. Good and bad, but mostly the bad, because I'm always looking to improve and no one ever improved by hearing "A+ for effort" over and over again. So don't hold back. I won't hesitate to disagree either, but even if so, the dialog/debate is always worth it. As a disclaimer let me just say that I have no feelings whatsoever, so you needn't worry about hurting any. They aren't there.

With that in mind, here is today's look. Hopefully this is a bit of vintage and a bit of modern. OK, so it's a lot modern, but here you go:

4_6_07__1.jpg

And here is the full-view:
4_6_07__2.jpg

If this shot looks a little awkward, it is because I am standing awkwardly. Trust me when I say this was the best of about 5 I tried like this. I will get better.

And those are french cuffs. You can't tell, but trust me.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I'd take my comment with a grain of salt, as the one pic on here of me wearing a suit looks an awful lot like I'm wearing pajamas (I'm no connoisseur) , but I find that the pattern on your shirt is very distracting to the eye. The eye (well, my eye anyways) is first drawn to notice the bold grid pattern of your shirt instead of the overall lines of your outfit.

It might just be because in the photography the details on the suit don't show up as well as they do in person. But to my eye looking right now, the suit is like a shadow, and the shirt (due to that particular pattern) stands out at the expense of the get up as a whole. Something about that tie I like a whole lot though. I think the texture is pretty neat.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I like the color/pattern combo, and I really like the tie. I can get passable knots, but never quite right.

Is it my eyes, or is there something going on with the stitching on your right lapel?

Brooksie

One Too Many
I have to agree with erik about the shirt, the pattern is distracting, if you are going to wear the shirt wear it with a blue suit and a solid blue tie.

I do however like the suit very much and at first I thought the tie was to shiney but I do think I would like it a lot more with a different shirt. Just my 2 cents...

Brooksie

Mr. Steve

New in Town
The knot used for the tie looks great. I am not a big fan of the shrit. I do like the tie, a solid shrit would go well.

Elaina

One Too Many
Looks to me like you're trying to get the 20's feel of the patterned shirt/tie thing going. Ok, fine. I'm awful about colors going together. I don't like blue and black together.

I like the shirt, in and of itself, and would love this ensamble with a blue or grey suit. This pic, for me falls flat. Pair it with jeans and a blusish/greyish tweed jacket and jeans, I'd say it was hot. Modern, but good. The way it is, I would find a solid shirt (as suggested) or if you're wanting the pattern, a little less graphic plaid in a contrasting color like plum, yellow or even green as a base color for the shirt. The white background and black is so contrasting, I'd keep them solid.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I like the fact that you have no head. Heads are distracting, useful only for holding up a hat. Leave the head at home and keep on trucking.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I like the shirt. I like the bold pattern and its high collar stance. I would not have gone with a lavender tie; I would have matched one of the blues of the shirt in a solid texture. That's just me though. I also have trouble wearing anything but silver or gray and white with a black suit.

The suit is cool. I like the details like the peaked lapels and the lapel stitching. You could easily get away with wearing that suit as a tux in a modern setting. Pair it with a simple formal shirt and a black tie.

The shirt looks a little long on your right hand. You are inviting us to nitpick though.

All in all, an excellent look. I think it would benefit from us seeing you looking confident or relaxed in it.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I am a straightforward guy...

So, let me dispense with the compliments and get right to criticism (as you have requested) ;) :

1. We need to see FULL length photos to judge the way the trousers break.
  2. You need to have ALL of your suit/jacket sleeves altered so that they drop to the same point on both right and left. (I'm 1/2" longer on the right.)
  3. Once the jacket sleeves are the same, pick a uniform sleeve length and stick with it.
  4. The pattern on the shirt is not just not right for this suit, it's so different from the norm as to be distracting; it's not solid, stripe, or check. (Maybe under a v-neck sweater, but not with suits.)
  5. The lavender tie is fine with the suit. It would work with either a complimentary solid color (light purple) or solid white.
  6. I'm not a big fan of either spread collars or windsor knots. Try a four in hand instead.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
Martinis at 8 said:
Ditch the shirt, learn to dimple your tie.
agreed. but, it's really hard to judge a man's look without seeing the shoes. maybe that's a chick's opinion, but shoes can make or break an ensemble.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
SpitfireXIV said:
agreed. but, it's really hard to judge a man's look without seeing the shoes. maybe that's a chick's opinion, but shoes can make or break an ensemble.

You are of course correct. Being ex-military, shoes are generally the first thing I look at. They need to be polished and serviced.

M8

rongoms

Familiar Face
SpitfireXIV said:

Nope, we need to see the shoes as well. Trouser break, shoe choice....

I must agree, the shirt is distracting. Solid colour, maybe a herringbone at the most.

i HATE big-knotted ties, but learn all the different knots and use the one that fits your body-type the best. You're a slim young lad, so that HUGE freaking windsor looks just that much more enormous.

Shoes.....wow. Well, as stated above, you seem to be a nice young man. Probably dating. There are two things that women (and gay men, as well) will notice immediately. Cheap shoes and a cheap tie. don't skimp on these and you'll come ouyt very much ahead.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I was thinking the same thing as some of the other post-ers about the shirt. What about something green to go with the lavendar tie?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Ok- first off, I love the tie. very traditional but the color makes it look more outstanding. I like the peak lapels. The pickstitching and hacking pockets are alright- trying a little too hard on one suit.
My overall criticism is that there is too much going on here at once. The suit is very extra-ordinary with the plethora of details (pickstiching, hacking pockets, peak lapels), the shirt's pattern calls too much attention to itself, and the tie's color also calls attention to itself.
Personally, I would like to see this with a four-in-hand, even with a spread collar. The cut of the suit is very slim and the knot wouldn't create such a dramatic horizontal cut right at your neckline. Of course, if a windsor knot suits your face more (which we cannot see) then toss that out the window, although judging by your avatar picture, you have a pretty long face, too. It looks too much like a small apple strapped to your throat, to be perfectly blunt.
I would also like to see a solid shirt in a complimentary color or with a much more subtle pattern, whether that be check or stripes, to go with the simplistic tie.
Basically, this suit is call for looking sleek and simple. The suit is fashionable enough in its details that you wouldn't get mistaken for an undertaker or secret service agent if you were wearing a a simple white shirt with a black matte or satin tie.
To correct the shirt sleeve length, I'd say go with sleeve garters...it's far cheaper than getting all of your shirt sleeves re-cut. I almost always wear sleeve garters with french cuff shirts, even if they were tailored for me. My suit sleeve lengths vary sometimes, so I use it to adjust how linen I want to show.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I would tend to agree with everyone else about such things as the blue patterned shirt not quite going with the black suit and the wide knot in the tie.
But I am fairly conservative as to matters of dress.
I like conservative color schemes with analogous accessories,...a solid or pinstripe suit such as yours, with a tone on tone or subtly patterned shirt,(always with French cuffs) and a bold patterned tie to add color and panache. :)
But that's just my personal preference. [huh]

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
As a matter of personal taste, I am not one for mixing those particular patterns.

I do like each garment and accessory on it's own merit, however.

Overall, good show, and better dressed than most in these modern times....

ilcatex

New in Town
I concur with the other comments re: colors and size of knot. But, remember we're talking about the 3% you are still working on... the 97% looks great. I can see the obvious care and attention you put into your appearance. Bravo!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana