Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rathbone-Sherlock Holmes radio shows

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Most of the Rathbone-Bruce Holmes run, from 1939-45, is lost -- only about 60 are known to exist, most of them from the 1943-44 and 1944-45 seasons. Most of these were issued on cassette and CD versions in the 90s, under license from the copyright holders, but those sets are no longer in print. The best bet is to scout around on eBay for them -- they turn up quite often, and are of much better audio quality than the bootleg versions floating around.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I didn't realize that many were lost. I've collected some on cassette through the years. I even think I have one from 1946 in which Watson hands the reigns over to Gregory Hood.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

MEDIUMMYND

One of the Regulars
The BBC radio dramatizations with Cive Merrison and Michael Williams are supurb,they are the only two actors to have recorded all the Sherlock Holmes storeys i think they are avalible on CD and are often broardcast on BBC radio 7

As with all the BBC radio CDs the Merryson/Williams CDs are ludicrously expensive. I processed them from the BBC media player through some software on my Mac. This results in massive - but free! - files. Of course, they can then be compressed.

Some are apparently available for download. [note that i have not tried to download these but the links seem okay/live.] There are bound to be other websites out there offering similar programmes.

[Can't allow download links due to copyright issues -- please see Copyright sticky!]

bk

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
MEDIUMMYND said:
The BBC radio dramatizations with Cive Merrison and Michael Williams are supurb,they are the only two actors to have recorded all the Sherlock Holmes storeys i think they are avalible on CD and are often broardcast on BBC radio 7

They are superb, Merrison will always be Holmes to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk