Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-sizing Down--Plastic Wrap

TipTop

Practically Family
After a brush scrubbing, and some steaming, but absent any felt strips, I was looking for a quick and dirty way to absorb the oversize of 7 1/2" Long Oval of my new, free Beaver Cattleman and happened across some plastic foam packing sheets in two thicknesses. The pink mics at 2.5mm and the white is 1.5mm; your attic finds may vary.

I cut one length of the heavier pink into an inch-plus wide, 24" long strip, folded down the leather sweat, tucked it in and presto, down-sized to 7 3/8! Below, I pulled one side out a bit for photographic purposes, but you get the idea.

Now, i can wear this a bit and decide if I want to invest in professional cleaning and resize. It brushed out fairly well, so the surface grit and dust is gone.

15370212-md.jpg

15370372-lg.jpg

job

One Too Many
Since I'm a 7 5/8 L, I am usually stretching rather than reducing. I find that the shorter the pieces the less chance of the sweat bunching up. One in front and one in back works for me. I don't need anything on the sides since my head in a long oval shape.

TipTop

Practically Family
Since I'm a 7 5/8 L, I am usually stretching rather than reducing. I find that the shorter the pieces the less chance of the sweat bunching up. One in front and one in back works for me. I don't need anything on the sides since my head in a long oval shape.

I think this one would fit you, surely more than 7 1/2 LO. I first tried the short strip method, using the white 1.5mm material, then doubled it, and there was still plenty of play. My usual area of "play" are the rear quarters; I am an egg-oval, with the (unequal) taper behind my ears, as shown in the Conformateur punched-paper in my profile. This thing was equally big all around, even after steaming the sweat yesterday. The stuffing gives it a cushioned fit, good enough for next-step decision-making.

EggHead

Practically Family
I bought a yard of wool material and cut long strips from it - 1.25" x 10" or shorter, depending on how much I need. Then wrap around the inside if the sweatband. When needed, add more layers. It provides smooth transitions, no bulky protrusions and wool sticks to the felt body. Sweatband does not wrinkle either. Because my hair grows fast and voluminous, every 3 weeks I may need to adjust. Works better than any other method I tried.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think this one would fit you, surely more than 7 1/2 LO. I first tried the short strip method, using the white 1.5mm material, then doubled it, and there was still plenty of play. My usual area of "play" are the rear quarters; I am an egg-oval, with the (unequal) taper behind my ears, as shown in the Conformateur punched-paper in my profile. This thing was equally big all around, even after steaming the sweat yesterday. The stuffing gives it a cushioned fit, good enough for next-step decision-making.

I have used some material very similar to help a large hat fit. As time passed, the hat actually started to shrink (eight years time, lol), but now I no longer need the extra "stuffing"....

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Hey Tip Top,

What brand, color, ribbon size and ribbon color is the hat in your avatar?

Looks like a perfect everyday driver!

Is that ribbon like an rusty brown?

TipTop

Practically Family
Hey Tip Top,

What brand, color, ribbon size and ribbon color is the hat in your avatar?

Looks like a perfect everyday driver!

Is that ribbon like an rusty brown?

Hi Rats, the initial report and follow-up on its rather tricky coloration is here.

It's a Canadian Biltmore that I purchased on ePrey from a fellow lounger. The Brim is 2 3/4, Crown is 4 7/8 rear, 4 3/8 front, with med brown ribbon of 1.5"; the brim binding appears a tad lighter than the ribbon.

Overall, I think the photo color is accurate, and would say it is a shade or two lighter and less yellow than my contemporary Stetson Catera in "bark."

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points