Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reactions from people...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I was dressed in a gray turtleneck, dark trousers, gray herringbone wool sports jacket and my gray herringbone B! Wear 8 1/4 cap, when I entered a donut shop last Sunday morning before church. My mission, to purchase some donuts and Kolaches for my family to sate their hunger before services.

Upon entering said establishment, I was met by stares from everybody in the store. You would have thought that I was wearing a red rubber nose and orange hair. There was general snickering and mumbled comments. I kept my composure, it was the Lord's day and I had been walking in the Spirit. I met stares with a smile and a nod. I even opened the door for a young lady dressed in PJs, while tipping my cap to her. She almost laughed out loud in my face.

I got my donuts and left. I was parked directly in front of the store and while I was getting myself situated for the ride home I observed the patrons through the storefront window burst into fits of laughter. How could these people be so rude. Where was their sense style?

Upon arrival home I related the story to my wife who pointed out my open fly and six inches of toilet paper stuck to my left heel.

Bebop

Practically Family
That is very funny, Bob. It is weird that we are sometimes self concious about the wrong thing. I have had the same thing happen having people stare at my fly. I of course, thought it was for a different reason :) than because it was wide open and showing my bright whites as if I were surrendering from down below. I let my ego get a hold of me and was quite proud that so many women seemed to be drawn to my fly until I got home and my wife zipped me up rolling her eyes :rolleyes: without saying a word.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob, I thought I knew where that story was going, and you knocked it over the left field fence!
AWESOME!!!!!:cheers1:
flat-top

Vanessa

One Too Many
In Chicago, I don't think you'd get a second glance, even if you were on fire.

Great story! I was thinking about writing some terribly condemning things about people today and their style ignorance and their infatuation with snickering at someone dressed so well. . .but well, yeah. :rolleyes:

My gramma always had a mirror right by the front door to check everything on the way out and make sure it wasn't "snowing down south" (which meant your petticoats were showing).

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You wouldn't get too many glances in my neck of the woods. Where the introverts stare at their shoes and the extroverts stare at your shoes.
You may get the occasional kid yelling, "Mommy! That man's zipper is down!", but that only because it's at their eye level.

Cheers!

Dan

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Something similar

I've noticed my zipper down at the end of the evening one time and when I mentioned it to my cohort he said it was like that all day. He didn't tell me because he didn't want to embarrass me. Which is more embarassing: being told early on or realizing that it was like that all day.
Bob, at least they weren't laughing at a snazzy outfit.

The Wolf

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Vanessa said:
In Chicago, I don't think you'd get a second glance, even if you were on fire.

Great story! I was thinking about writing some terribly condemning things about people today and their style ignorance and their infatuation with snickering at someone
Is that because the toilet paper would have blended in with the snow and the open fly would have been covered with a big overcoat? Speaking of toilet paper, I once had a guy come to my door trying to sell glow in the dark toilet paper (what a novelle concept!) but that was just a hook and he wasn't really selling the TP but the Dallas Morning News or magazine subscriptions of some kind instead. I told him I would have maybe bought some of the TP but I wasn't interested in buying a subscription.

Bob, that is a funny story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey considering what most younger men look like with a ball cap on sideways like Rootie Kazootie and sloppy clothes appearing as though they'd been rolled by a bunch of angry hookers ain't nobody got nuttin' to say.:cool2:

koopkooper

Practically Family
Recently I was walking along the street wearing my fedora and this girl walked past me and said sarcastically "you look like Dick Tracy" to which I replied "you look unemployed" She had nowhere to go with that one.

One other time I was in KFC and the pimply 16 year old boys asked me if I was from the past. I told him that yes he was correct as where I come from Colonel Sanders had not yet invented the 11 secret spices for his tasty chicken that thanks to my Tardis I was able to enjoy the refreshing taste of Kentucky fried chicken in 2006. He stood there with his mouth hanging open, which dropped even further when I told him to get the manager who I then proceded to rip into as I don't come to his store to be made fun of by his minimum wage slaves.....yes the tongue is rather sharp at times.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
Yesterday, I went to the supermarket. A worker there came to me, and said "I always love those ties and hats you are wear". The funny thing is, I usually only wear the same tie, and hat there.

On another occasion, I went to a drugstore. A worker there complemented me, but they continued. They also said I looked smart (which I replied with a thanks, but I added that I don't think I am very smart).

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This thread was such a funny read, it wasn't until Retro Spectator's post that I realised it was eight years old. But then, good humour is always funny. There's a guy who works for me whose elderly parents have a large garden, mainly grassed over for ease of maintenance. The old couple also have a couple of cocker spaniels who use the grass as a latrine. When my employee goes round to cut the grass for his parents, his first task is always with the pooper scooper.

On this particular day, he had cleaned up first as usual, cut the grass, collecting the cuttings in the grass box, he then took the grass box off and mowed up and to create stripes on the grass. Dutiful man bids his parents goodbye and calls into the supermarket to buy a few groceries, as his wife had asked.

He said later, that he had that strong smell of cut grass about him, he didn't think it that offputting but everyone in the supermarket was giving him a wide berth. Later, on arriving home, to be greeted by his wife, she said in an offhand nonchalant way, (his words, not mine)
"You've got sh*t on your shoulder, dear!" That's what happens when you miss a poop with the scoop but get it with the mower, having first taken the grass cutting box off.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I had two people complement my homemade golf necktie last week while visiting relatives on the cape. The first guy is a member of a band (he used to be the leader), and he is in his late 80's - Early 90's. He complemented both my tie, and my clothes. Later in the week, I got a second complement from a guy on the sidewalk stating "Nice tie".

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
That' was a very funny story, but also recalls a somewhat traumatic experience I had in high school. One day every year our ninth grade science teacher would put on a demonstration where students were allowed to make molds of our hands by dipping them in paraffin wax. Well I decided to make molds of both my hands at the same time, and you can guess what happened . . . just as soon as I had both hands covered in very hot, melted wax, someone pointed out that my fly was open. I found myself sitting there in school with a very open fly and no way to zip myself. I couldn't seem to find anyone willing to do me the favor either. I just had to suffer the embarrassment for about another 10 minutes till the wax fully cooled and hardened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112