Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading Glasses

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Dear all,

Been quite some time since I stopped in here.

I've worn glasses for years and years, and the glasses that I've worn for decades are the old style Bausch and Lomb rimless glasses. I took them up as they're they only ones that would fit my face well and I had several pairs as my father had worn them. My regular daily rims were likely made in the 1950s, maybe the 1940s.

Anyhow, I recently reluctantly went to contact lenses for office use as my eyes have reached the point where I needed bifocals (not really a problem) for most things but different glasses for computers, and so I was changing my glasses about a zillion times a day as people came into my office. This way, I only have to change the 500,000 times a day as I still need computer/reading glasses.

I bought a cheap set of reading glasses but I hate the frames. Is there a place I can get a good classic set of reading glasses?

You can have lenses put in just about any frame you desire. May be more expensive than a cheap pair from the drugstore, but you can get whatever style you want. As for off the shelf style, I don't know you might have any luck, but there are numerous online retailers you might give a look. I went to bifocals last year myself.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Have a look at J. Peterman. You can also search eBay for "round reading" and see what turns up. I've gotten a few that way.
I broke down and got bifocals a few years back. No switching anymore.

Pat_H

A-List Customer
Have a look at J. Peterman. You can also search eBay for "round reading" and see what turns up. I've gotten a few that way.
I broke down and got bifocals a few years back. No switching anymore.

I have bifocals myself, and have for some time. At this point, however, I need bifocals for regular daily wear and reading glasses for the computer anyhow. It's aggravating. For some odd reason, when I have contact lenses on, I only need the reading glasses for both the computer and reading.

I'm so acclimated to my glasses that I switch back to them as soon as I get home and I don't wear them on the weekend. People have told me that I'll really like the contact lenses for outdoors stuff, but so far I haven't attempted that.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Shuron Rosnir's are frames for prescription glasses but quite reasonable priced. The up side is they some in many different lens diameters, bridge widths, and temple lengths. They will fit you if anything can.

...People have told me that I'll really like the contact lenses for outdoors stuff, but so far I haven't attempted that.

Doing outdoors stuff is the only time I wear contacts. I still play baseball in them (yes, even at my age), ride my bike, swim etc, and it makes wearing sunglasses more convenient. They are pretty good as long as I don't have to read anything, then I'd need the cheaters. For that reason I use the disposable contacts. They work pretty well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points