Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's Buco J-24

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This just arrived. An unused older edition of RM's Buco J-24. The new 2014 model with black coloured lining is even slimmer. The chest measurement of the new model size 40 is equal to this size 38 older model.
IMG_20140630_233021263.jpg
IMG_20140630_233041139.jpg
IMG_20140630_233213293.jpg
IMG_20140630_233255242.jpg

Plumbline

One Too Many
sweet .. the J24 is one of the most iconic "W collar" M/C jackets of the 20th century ( if not the most iconic as it carries the Buco name ... yes, yes there are those who would argue that "Perfecto" originated in 1928 etc. etc. ) but the J24 for me ( and Rin Tanaka ..... ) is the quintessential W collar M/C jacket.

Great fit too ...well done, wear it well !

Fantastic, man! I'm jealous as hell. It does look trim, but the jacket fits you perfectly. Hard to tell from the photos so I've always wondered, is the chest pocket a bit angled?

About Perfecto, Schott claims that their first jacket, one from the 1928 was actually a D-pocket - and I don't think I've ever seen a Brando design that was dating back further than the late 40's.

Blackadder

Fantastic, man! I'm jealous as hell. It does look trim, but the jacket fits you perfectly. Hard to tell from the photos so I've always wondered, is the chest pocket a bit angled?

About Perfecto, Schott claims that their first jacket, one from the 1928 was actually a D-pocket - and I don't think I've ever seen a Brando design that was dating back further than the late 40's.
On the RM Buco chest pocket should be 90 degrees to the front zipper. It is very slim. If I buy the new 2014 model, I would need a size 40.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you, Blackadder. Oh, and thank you for the size recommendation, but don't worry about it. I would have to sell my bike in order to afford Real McCoy. :)

That reminds me - do the sleeves scratch onto those back passenger pockets on RM?

Blackadder

Awesome! Thank you, Blackadder. Oh, and thank you for the size recommendation, but don't worry about it. I would have to sell my bike in order to afford Real McCoy. :)

That reminds me - do the sleeves scratch onto those back passenger pockets on RM?
I don't think so but I just got mine, though I have tried on the J-22 and J-24 in the past and have not had that problem. Lol, trading a bike for a jacket... Come to think of it, you can't wear the RM on a bike as it is designed as skin tight especially the new model. Personally, I think they have gone overboard seeing that the new model size 40 is actually only 38 inches around the chest. From what I heard, mine is middle generation which is already slimmer than the previous one.

Last edited:

IXL

One Too Many
It appears the jacket has an action back. If so, I would think one in the appropriate size would be just swell for riding. Your jacket looks great!

Blackadder

It appears the jacket has an action back. If so, I would think one in the appropriate size would be just swell for riding. Your jacket looks great!
My chest is 38 and I can tell you that the action back is alreaady fully opened standing straight with my arms down. Compared to my Lost World J-23 size 38, this RM is a purely fashion jacket unless you are skinny and you size up. In any case, the sleeves are also very narrow hence also high armhole regardless of the size so it has to be skin tight.

Last edited:
Huh, I'm surprised to hear all this. I find it a bit strange to hear that the company that insist so much on the authenticity is producing this jacket primarily as a fashion item... Nothing wrong with that of course, but I still would expect it to be primarily a riding jacket. Definitely what I'd use it for. Man, size 40 having 38 chest... It's usually the other way around, and that's for a really trim jackets! Schott 42 has chest near 50 inches around. RM had to considerably alter the cut, then, as while Buco's weren't as boxy as some of the old MC jackets, they were still far from being skin tight!

Blackadder

Huh, I'm surprised to hear all this. I find it a bit strange to hear that the company that insist so much on the authenticity is producing this jacket primarily as a fashion item... Nothing wrong with that of course, but I still would expect it to be primarily a riding jacket. Definitely what I'd use it for. Man, size 40 having 38 chest... It's usually the other way around, and that's for a really trim jackets! Schott 42 has chest near 50 inches around. RM had to considerably alter the cut, then, as while Buco's weren't as boxy as some of the old MC jackets, they were still far from being skin tight!
The whole jacket is made to fit really tight and with the high armhole, sizing up might not be an option. Of course if you are one of those skinny model type then it will fit perfectly as a riding jacket. I guess RM has to struggle between authenticity and the fashion trend towards slim cut clothings of recent years. While they have kept to the authenticity in terms of materials used, they also slimmed down their N-1 since the 2013 Fall collection. In any case, their clothings are already slim by western standard to start with.

Blackadder

Most online shops have rather accurate measurements on the RM Buco J-24 but here is a measurement they most often miss- the armhole.
Measurement of the armhole is taken with the jacket lying flat and measured on the front side only. For comparison
Size 38 RM Buco J-24- 20.5cm
Size 38 LW J-23- 25cm
Size 36 Schott 1928H (Japanese Mod.)- 23cm
Size 36 Lewis Leather Europa- 23cm
Although the size 38 Buco fits almost the same as size 36 Lewis and Schott, it has even tighter armholes than them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112