Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's, Buzz and original N-1

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The one on the left is RMC and the right on the right is Buzz
WP_000980.jpg
RMC's outer shell is smoother and slightly finer than Buzz's
WP_000981.jpg
RMC's lining is 100% alpaca and Buzz is a mixed Alpaca/wool/mohair. RMC's alpaca strand is longer and finer than Buzz's
WP_000982.jpg
here the picture is reversed so the zipper on the left is Buzz and RMC is on the right. RMC's zipper is heavier and sturdier than Buzz's. The stitchings are comparable. Both very neat. Buzz has leather pull whilst RMC uses jungle cloth pull.
WP_000983.jpg
Here is the zipper of an original N-1 with jungle cloth pull.
WP_000994.jpg
String on top is Buzz and it also feels weaker than the RMC's
WP_000989.jpg
Stencils on the Buzz is sharper than the RMC in naked eyes whilst the RMC seem to have sharper reflection on the lens with flashlights
WP_000991.jpg
The alpaca lining of an original N-1 is also quite long and fine
WP_000995.jpg
RMC's lining is much closer to the original than the Buzz's
WP_000996.jpg

Last edited:

Blackadder

The RMC n-1 is a size 38 A/W 2013 model. The Buzz is a size 34 A/W 2013 model and the original is a size 36. Both Buzz and RMC Navy are slimmer than their khaki siblings. The 2013 A/W RMC is a tighter fit than the Buzz, it also has shorter sleeves. I feel the RMC size 38 more an equivalent to a size 36 Buzz having tried both (I bought the size 34 Buzz after trying on the size 36).
Buzz's collar is smaller (narrower) than the RMC and the original.

Last edited:

Tadite

Familiar Face
Great post! These are the types of things that make this forum useful. Man that TRM looks warm (I say this after just getting another 5 inches of snow).

Thanks again!

Ishmael

Practically Family
Good review. But should be noted that you are reviewing the cheaper Buzz model. Would be more appropriate to do a comparison of RMC and the Buzz Demotex model.

Blackadder

Good review. But should be noted that you are reviewing the cheaper Buzz model. Would be more appropriate to do a comparison of RMC and the Buzz Demotex model.
Unfortunately, none of us has a demotex. Those who are willing to pay the extra all went for the Real McCoy's (the main reason is the tighter fit, narrower shoulder, shorter sleeves etc of this season's RMC's N-1). [huh] Other obvious reasons being that at the same price as the RMC, the Buzz demotex lining is still wool/alpaca/mohair lining, the zipper pull is still leather and not jungle cloth.
Same main reason for not getting the Toys McCoy's N-1 which is the same fit as Buzz's. I have only tried the Toys on at the shop, so no photos. The Toys McCoy's N-1 also has longer 100% alpaca thread and they are grey like the original. But as said, no photos, so can't compare the details. There is another brand called Pherrow's that produce repro clothings. I just bought a tanker from them. Good quality, prices comparable to Buzz. Drawback is almost all of their military repros have patches of their own designs i.e. not real military issued patches.

Last edited:

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
Tried the seawater wash (ie Demotex) Buzz. But found it about a size smaller than the regular Buzz N1 which is a perfect fit, without the extra sleeve and back length I'd have had going up a size on the more expensive Demotex. Haven't seen the Pherrow's jackets in the flesh but got one of their Sweats (think its loopwheel rather than 4 needle) Slightly tighter fit than my Buzz Sweats. Old problem, of course, is the apparently false insert in the newer Buzz sweats.

Blackadder

Fitting of Buzz N-1
Navy demotex > Khaki demotex
Khaki demotex = Khaki regular
Khaki regular > Navy regular
Navy regular > William Gibson

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member