Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recasting " The Thin Man" Article

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RECASTING THE CLASSICS: 'The Thin Man'
http://www.younghollywood.com/scene/recasting-the-classics-the-thin-man.html

Published on Friday, January 04 2013
Written by Greg McIver

This writer goes through the sort of exercise we do from time to time in recasting a classic film. I don't agree with his choice of Nora, but I thought I'd pass it along...

Almost a year ago, it was tentatively announced that Hollywood would be remaking the classic 1934 film The Thin Man, with Johnny Depp playing the lead role of Nick Charles and Gore Verbinski directing. Now, there is nothing necessarily wrong with any of these choices, per se; Depp is a fantastic actor who has been entertaining audiences for decades upon decades, and Verbinski directed Mouse Hunt. All in all, the project sounds like it would be in pretty safe hands. However, seeing as how The Thin Man is one of my favorite classic movies, and the remake is not set in stone, I thought that I would chime in with my own thoughts.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Indeed. As it always has been in Hollywood.

When I checked the link, it said Robert Downey, Jr. would be playing the role of Nick Charles. I feel sick to be honest. I can already see the over-production values....Especially with Helena Bonham Carter in it. I'm burned out on her. I can't believe that they chose her for Nora Charles! Ugh! What has hollywood come to? I miss the Studio system of the Golden era. Still, the prospect of the possibility of the Thin Man being remade is stimulating, if likely to disappoint....Thanks for the heads up sir! I've Always loved that film since I was a young child.
'

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Agreed.
I think Evan makes a good point about the studio system of the Golden Era. It's certainly not like that today.
Also, it's based on who's popular at the time, not who's right for the part.
I'd like to see Depp as the character, he's a good actor.
RJD? He ruined Sherlock Holmes IMHO. I got through 10 minutes and realized how much I miss Jeremy Brett.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'd honestly like to see Depp retire. Overexposed and in everything. Also Robert Downey Jr., and for heaven's sake give DeCaprio a rest.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
The Thin Man is one of my favorite movies and yet I think Loy is better cast than Powell based on Hammett's book. This hurts me to say because William Powell is my favorite actor of the golden age. The studio cast him because they knew he could play a detective, since he played Philo Vance before. Vance was quite a different character from Nick Charles. Charles was essentially a Sam Spade type hobnobbing with society because he married into money. Loy was cast because the assigned director, W. S. VanDyke liked the chemistry he saw between them in Manhattan Melodrama.
Powell and Loy are still a hard act to follow, though.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I checked the link, it said Robert Downey, Jr. would be playing the role of Nick Charles. I feel sick to be honest. I can already see the over-production values....Especially with Helena Bonham Carter in ...
'
Nope. That was the writer's preference. I believe that Johnny Depo still has the role, if it gets made.

Doublegun

Practically Family
Let's see Johnny Depp reprising his rolls as Capt'n Jack/Tonto/Mad Hatter/Willy Wonka this time as one of the best comedic rolls of the golden age. Gee, I can't imagine his interpretation.

It really doesn't matter who they cast as Nick or Nora, there is no way they'll have the chemistry that Powell and Loy had.

m0nk

One Too Many
I wish that instead of more articles giving opinions on casting there would instead be an article on some official casting. The Thin Man and it's subsequent sequels were some of my favorite movies and if there is to be a remake, I want to see it done right but also want to see it done by those that are fans of the original and not the typical Hollywood money-hungry execs... from what I've read, it's in good hands now, so the sooner it gets going, the better.

m0nk

One Too Many
Is this to be done period? Or is it to be "an ironic modern take on the classic original?" If the latter, forget it -- Nick and Nora have no place in the 21st Century.
From my understanding it will be period. This could change, and in that case I would be with you, but as long as it stays period, I'll watch it.

m0nk

One Too Many
If that's the case, then Guy Pearce as Nick and Amy Adams as Nora. If they modernize it, I fear we'll end up with Ryan Gosling as Nick and Ellen Page as Nora. And a pit bull will play Asta.
I would hate to see Ryan Gosling in this movie.... but then I also think Guy Pearce works better as a bad-guy. Amy Adams is a nice choice, though. I also wouldn't mind seeing Rachel McAdams as Nora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ