Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommended cafe racer jackets

the loco

One of the Regulars
I'm looking to buy a cafe racer jacket, was initially looking to buy an Schott Easy Rider, but eventually decided the stripes are a bit too much.

So far, I think could go with 641HH which is more fitted then the 671 (easy rider), has a quilted rather then removable lining and is of horse hide.

Another option could the Alexander Cafe Racer, here I'm not sure if the CXL steer is better then horse hide Schott uses in the 641HH.

What other sharp looking cafe racers could also consider?

Hi!

Schott 641XX
641xx_brown.jpg

Your quest is complete.

Seriously though, while Schott 641XX is by far my favorite, did you consider a CR from Vanson leathers?

IXL

One Too Many
Vanson Model B, Mercury, or House jacket. Insurrection/Thurston Brothers carry some custom-made variants, such as the PLU-3, Model B Deluxe and House Deluxe.
I have the Schott Easy Rider and it really is a bit less "bright" in person than it appears to be in print.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking to buy a cafe racer jacket, was initially looking to buy an Schott Easy Rider, but eventually decided the stripes are a bit too much.

So far, I think could go with 641HH which is more fitted then the 671 (easy rider), has a quilted rather then removable lining and is of horse hide.

Another option could the Alexander Cafe Racer, here I'm not sure if the CXL steer is better then horse hide Schott uses in the 641HH.

What other sharp looking cafe racers could also consider?

Is it for riding?

I don't think there should be much practical difference between AL CXL steer and Schott HH. There was some talk about HH being a tougher hide but from what I gather, they're both 3oz and should be equally weatherproof (I can testify that Schott HH is just as good in rain as any CXL hide I've seen) so the difference between the two should be merely aesthetic.

Vanson is the best bang for your buck, if I am to be asked - extremely tough, thick, heavy and beautiful hide at the best price available. Will last you a lifetime. Also ages really, really well, much better than Schott steer. Keep in mind that Vanson makes serious MC gear, primarily with riding in mind, not just biker cosplay jackets, so if you ride you can't go wrong with them.

There's Langlitz, too, but they're pricey.

TBH, AL, Aero, RMC, Diamond, etc. are first and foremost all about repro's so yeah, Seb Lucas asked the right question.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So far the look of the Schott really grabs me but I prefer a vintage Brooks - for the non-rider it is light steer and versatile and has the period vibe that many of the repros don't have for me.

This is like the one I have

Brooks2.jpg

Attachments

• Brooks.jpg
    Brooks.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
between the chest pockets zipper slider/ puller closing to the side or closing to the center which one is more authentic or more appealing to you guys?

Brilliant! Aren't they hard to find?

That's what I thought but on the contrary, Rakuten is full of them in all sizes, and they're approx. 150 bucks cheaper than the 141/641, or any of the Perfectos for that matter. Other than that, these jackets are made from the same heavy steer Schott is using for their US stuff and are the most authentic looking CR's currently being produced (other than the J100 repros, but these are way out of my price range). Just a perfect deal all around! Brooks is a masterpiece, too. Would love to have one some day... And Becks. And Fidelity.

between the chest pockets zipper slider/ puller closing to the side or closing to the center which one is more authentic or more appealing to you guys?

Wow, I thought I was the only one wondering about that... Most oldies I've seen zip up toward the sides, but as you can see on the Brooks Seb Lucas posted, there's no rule to it. For me personally, it's more natural to zip 'em toward the center.

Sloan, now that's just plain cardsharping! :D

mendelboaz

One Too Many
I just got myself a Vanson Comet in dark brown cowhide, and it is slowly becoming my favorite jacket :) it's simple, clean, classic yet modern, totally badass and easy to wear (and a helluva lot cheaper than the Schott 641HH or Alexander CR).

Damo

A-List Customer
I just got myself a Vanson Comet in dark brown cowhide, and it is slowly becoming my favorite jacket :) it's simple, clean, classic yet modern, totally badass and easy to wear (and a helluva lot cheaper than the Schott 641HH or Alexander CR).

Did you go thru insurrection or Vanson and where are the pics?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ