Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Record Art

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Here are a couple of records that I think have cool art. Most of the ones that I like are from the late 50’s through the 60’s.

One of my favorites.
Latinfever-vi.jpg

This is a cool record (now on cd). I didn’t do many jazz records only because I know that there are probably plenty of guys here that will post them. Jazz records traditionally have had some of the all time great art.
jimmyknepper-vi.jpg

Elvis Costello’s first country record “Almost Blue”.
almostblue-vi.jpg

The Kenny Burrell record that “influenced” the Elvis cover.
midnightblue-vi.jpg

A couple of cool Tito Puente covers.
Tambo-vi.jpg

elreybravo-vi.jpg

KI_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V1126724451_-vi.jpg

Eddie Palmieri’s first record.
laperfecta-vi.jpg

Willie Colon was the first guy with “Gangster Style” (years before rap). He actually ran against Hilary Clinton for senator. I would have voted for him if I lived in NY.
wcthehustler-vi.jpg

crimepays-vi.jpg

Rundquist

A-List Customer
Continued

wcguisando-vi.jpg

thebigbreak-vi.jpg

wccosanuestra-vi.jpg

He’s got a trombone under his arm, not a machine gun.

Eljuicio-vi.jpg

There are literally hundreds of album covers that I would have liked to have put up but It would take me forever to hunt up the art. I also declined to put up some of my favorites that involved nudity (I didn’t want to give some of you a coronary). Cheers

Rundquist

A-List Customer
A few more

Almost forgot a couple of my favorite Joe Cuba's.
H4_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V1126727967_-vi.jpg

8N_01__SCLZZZZZZZ_V1124488759_-vi.jpg

Cal Tjader. Awesome cover and an awesome record.
tjaderSoulSource-vi.jpg

S

Samsa

Great idea for a thread! I'll have to think about my favorite covers and scan some...

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Mine look like this:

78brn4a.jpg

78sav1.gif

78voc1.gif

Actually these aren't mine, I don't have photos of mine, but I have labels that look like these.

(And a few that are prettier)

The Captain

One of the Regulars
"Exotica!"

Album cover art is among my favorite things. The advent of CDs has robbed me of the experience. The miniscule renderings or photos on them are too small for me, so I love this thread! Here is a little taste of some of my exotica covers. Tiki bars and exotica - made for each other.

68110277.cswGlypf.jpg

MAHALO!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
These are great album covers!

A couple of my favorite "revival" covers from the 1970's and 80s are

Linda Ronstadt's Lush Life where the record sleeve came out out of a slit in the hat box.

lushlife.jpg

Front

lushlifeback.jpg

Back

The Pointer Sisters--the photo I have for the back was the back cover but is now being used as the front cover of a compilation album (I'm not home to scan my own copies)

thatsaplenty.jpg

Front

thatsaplentyb.jpg

Back

Not quite Golden Era, but I love some of the covers for Lena Horne and my all time favorite singer, Ella Fitzgerald

stormyweather.jpg

givethelady.jpg

ella.jpg

And REALLY not Golden Era, but I think the constructivist inspired graphics used by Franz Ferdinand are fantastic

matinee.jpg

youcould.jpg

eleanor.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Hey Rundquist, great collection. All of those records remind me of my father. I grew up surrounded by his records and he loves Afro-Cuban-Latin Jazz. Around our house Cal Tjader and Mongo Santamaria ruled. Very cool pictures!:eusa_clap

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mrs Elvira Miller represents an all time cultural low, and not just in her use of that milk curdling tremolo.... Whay are her brownies green!?!?

ST_DoesHerThing.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ