Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Bud Vase (as opposed to Redbud Vase)

sonsie

New in Town
Hiyas!

This isn't a wearable or something one keeps on their person like a lighter, so I hope it's ok to post about. If not, please let me know? I got sidetracked from the items I was working on. I thought someone from this worldly group might have information about it.

It's a bud vase that I remember being in my parent's home forever. If I had to guess, I'd say the era may have been the 40's. It may have been bought overseas, although that's an out-of-the-blue guess.

It measures 6" tall, 2 1/4" across the base, and almost 2" across the mouth. It's a deep red glass with trim - I thought I remembered admiring it once and my dad telling me that the trim was silver. So earlier tonight I tried silver polish on the base, and it went from a dark, dull gray to silver. I haven't polished any more of it yet. I thought he said it was sterling - can sterling be painted onto a surface? It's an actual layer of whatever the silver is. That doesn't sound very intelligent, but I just don't know anything about silver in this form. There are no markings that I can see.

This may sound a bit out there, but the trim around the bulb part near the base actually appears to be a scene. It looks like an outdoor cafe with 2 triangles of lattice work, and in between are a couple of table and chairs, a pole with stripes like an old barber's pole except it's not colored, and what looks like a gondola. Behind it all is the outline of big fluffy clouds. The next tier of trim, moving towards the top, has 2 more lattice works with a flower in the middle of each, and the last inch or so at the top has 3 flowers with leaves spaced evenly.

Now I'm wondering if it could be from Italy. hmmm...interesting. Any thoughts?

sonsie

th_RedBudVase.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto