Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Clouds Collective Waxed Cotton Dungarees

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
One of my first posts that is not for a jacket or boots. I have worn all manner of jeans, and Carhartt canvas pants for many years. Recently, while seeking out an alternative to the ubiquitous iron-free Dockers most of my co-workers wear every day, I came across a pair of these Red Clouds waxed cotton double-knee work pants at Fontenelle Supply in Des Moines, IA. They passed the "corporate casual" test for the place I work, but better still was trying on a pair in the store, which was a little more challenging than an average pair of jeans, I knew these were going to need a break-in period.

The part I could not swallow at the time is the price. I deliberated on that for quite a while, nearly a year in fact. After the sale of several jackets and pairs of boots, I finally bit the bullet a few weeks back and bought the black pair you see in the photos below, and what an adventure has been started.

DSC_0474.JPG
IMG_6686.JPG IMG_6688.JPG

Now please understand, these pants cannot be washed! Like Filson Tin-Cloth they can be re-oiled, wiped or brushed off, and that is all. So far, this is working out to be a non-issue, but it's something to be aware of. These photos show my Size 36 pair (and a length of around 35, which is perfect for me) with about 4 weeks worth of use already.

I have taken a real liking top these pants, and I found they have a little sale going on directly, and order a pair in Olive, which arrived today. The "cut" has changed a bit, and these are a little less trim fitting, which is appropriate with work-oriented pants.

Here's the new pair:

IMG_6695.JPG IMG_6701.JPG
IMG_6700.JPG IMG_6702.JPG

A few highlights for me:
  • Made in USA in Portland, OR - By Hand!
  • Old World level craftsmanship
  • Triple stitched and riveted at all stress points
  • Double-knee front construction
  • Great ability to make them your own though the break-in process
  • Very long lasting, yet not overly heavy 10 - OZ waxed cotton material
One point I have noted, these may be better for cool to cold-weather use. The waxed cotton is not super-breathable, so I will wear these a lot less over the summer. They will come back out when jackets do in the fall.

Look these folks up if you find your self interested. I got very good service from both and enjoyed the experience working with Fontenelle and Red Clouds Directly. I do not work for either company, just FYI. :)

https://www.fontenellesupplyco.com/

https://redcloudscollective.com/

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Would you comment on the pocket depth. It’s sort of a weird topic and not something any manufacturer advertises. Still, i like deep pockets.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
The front main two pockets appear to be around 8 inches deep. I also like deep pockets and these take my full hand in with no issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points