Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red lips with pink clothing?

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
I know that some of you ladies are bound to know this one: are red lips and nails taboo with pink clothing? [huh]

I don't wear a lot of pink, but I've got an outfit on the way that is pink and white gingham, and I'm wondering how bad it would be to just wear it with my usual nail polish and lipstick. Since so many of our (or at least my) reference photos are black and white, I really don't know what to do.

Personally, I don't think it looks weird or ultra-clashy (and I'll probably just do it no matter what you all say, because I'm lazy lol), but I'm still curious: did women of the 1930s and 40s wear red lipstick and nail polish when their outfit contained a decent amount of pink?

I look forward to your always-knowledgeable responses!

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
It's the hues. Pink can be worn with cool reds (no orange or brown in it). I wear pink eyeshadows with red lips, it's my signature look.

Coral would need the opposite, something with a warm orange or brown in it. There are coral reds out there that could look nice on some skin tones. Right now (with summer upon us), coral lip color shouldn't be hard to find.
If it's too harsh, go for a sheer color. Different shades of gloss can look good on almost any skintone, if it's sheer enough. I use to have a sheer brownish/red gloss, it was nice to wear in the summer.

ScotchWhisky

Familiar Face
^Thank you! I guess that's why my red lips never seem to look bad with pink clothing - because I can only wear cool reds. :eek:

Neither coral pinks nor warm, orangey reds look good on me, so I'm in the clear.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I do think you can use it together. I am not sure, but maybe match the undertones (warm red lipstick, warm pink etc.)

Here is a pic of me in a babypink dress with red lips. To me it looks fine..

pink.jpg

Elizabeth.F

Familiar Face
Darhling you look lovely! :eusa_clap

Personally I find nothing wrong with red lips and pink clothing. I think it looks sweet when done properly.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I think that Revlon's Cherries in the Snow is a fabulous red to wear with pinks. It is a pink-red; redder than magenta, but still containing pink undertones. ;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
In a vintage, lady correct style? I don't know.[huh]

But it's not a no-no in my book! In fact, I think the two colors can compliment each other if you get it right and that's going to be very individual based on what suits you. I often wear pink clothes and I often wear red lips and nails. so they're often together! I'm unwilling to change nailpolish more than once a week. The rest is touch up work.

Fx. I'll wear bright pink/hot pink top and coral red or Gosh Lambada 60 red lips and nails with it. None of my reds are blue-reds but I probably wouldn't wear my reds with softer shades of pink clothes not that I own any. Hmm...most of my reds are pink reds or warmer reds with a slight yellow/orange/coral undertone or they're closer to magenta and wine and my pinks are close to fuschia. I like the contrast of fuschia and bright red.:) I wore coral pink with the Lambada red yesterday. That worked if you ask me!:D

Antje

One Too Many
I do this al the time, I have a lot of pink clothing and I only have red lipstick and i never go out without red lips.

i even have orange red hair, but I don't mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner