Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Engineer boot #25416

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Hi Everyone,
I picked up a pair of Red Wing Engineer boots with the style number 25416 at our local charity shop yesterday. I can date them to sometime between 1983 and 1991 based on the ANSI tag for their reinforced toe. Other than that, internet searches are turning up zilch. Anyone know any more about these beauties? The heel looks to have some of the green rubber in the stack. They left the heel/sole edges undyed, so the layers are visible. They appear to be essentially unworn and they fit me. New boots for a great price, and the $ goes to a good cause, it is a win-win :)

Chevalier

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the additional information. The boots do look just like the 2268 Engineer style. They still had the tags attached (and in English), so I don’t think it was a non-US style designation. In any case, they are a nice pair of boots. I’m getting on with the break-in. Ironically, the toughest spot is at the front and back of the top of the shaft. I need to wear taller socks :)
image.jpg

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That is to show that the 25416 is not a style number at all. If you search through the internet you can see various examples of the 2268 PT83. The style number was not printed on the boot or the tag back then. Style number on the tags came much later.
RW's tags are always in English. The same number is used anywhere but certain colour is only available to overseas because they only make them to order in volume by request of the local dealer. The roughout 2268 is 8268, Olive 2268 is 8273 etc. That number is universal. For example the Olive ones are just not available outside Japan. In any case, you won't find a Japanese tag on those. If they are available in the States, they would still be called 8273.
Over the years, Red Wing has changed the last of the 2268 whenever a new safety standard came out the ANSI number, PT 83, PT91 and PT99 hence these vintage boots are dated in periods according to the ANSI number. The exact year of manufacture can sometimes be found but the period is enough for most people.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana