Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler Different from Wolverine 1000-Mile Boot?

South

One of the Regulars
I like the looks of the the Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler/Beckman/9011. (Have only seen it on the web.)

I already have the Wolverine 1000-Mile Boot. Is it much different, other than the sole?

Does the "Black Cherry" 9011 look very red? The picture on the Red Wing site makes it look more brown.

Red Wing:
RedWing9011.jpg

Wolverine:
Wolverine1000-MileBoot.jpg

Thanks.

blethook

One of the Regulars
don't know much about the Wolverine

but the 9011 would appear dark brown in most situations except under direct sunlight (only then you can see the reddish tone of the hide).

The RW GTs are also narrow...Very narrow for most people and it has the commando lug soles (quite discreet however), which for some people are a turn off.

As mentioned elsewhere about the RW GTs their sizing is a bit off. You need to get 1/2 size smaller than your usual. Best to try them on before buying if possible.

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I concur that the RW 9011 are great boots, however I found mine more 'cherry' than brown, particularly when worn in.

4620598803_e40273138e.jpg

4621211462_3d5a447431.jpg

Also recommend trying on before you buy (had to size down 1 and half sizes on a pair of RW Ironrangers!)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like the Wolverines a little better as far as style. Unfortunately, the Red Wings don't come in my size (14's) and due to inconsistent sizing, I would have to try ANY pair of boots on - in person - before making a purchase like that.

I have a pair of Carolina Loggers that I've been quite satisfied with, but I've always wanted to try Red Wings.

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I.
Love.
My.
Redwings.

I have them in black, size 8.5D and they are the best shoes I own, bar none. I wear the hell out of them. If they ever wear out I will end up getting another pair. That's a fairly big if as well.

apba1166

A-List Customer
While perhaps not as stylish as the GTs, I think the Redwings 202 (Moc toe) are a more supple leather boot--and less expensive. Great ankle support and they have the good sole--i forget which it is--that are easier on the feet all day than my other pair of Redwing workboots, 2156. I have a pair of Chippewa too I use a lot for work, very comfortable, also good cushioning sole, but the Redwings do give me the best real support for labor.

You have to try on Redwings...the toe boxes are all different (I use the moc toe 'cause I need orthotic inserts)...and they lace differently to provide tighter, looser fit at the top of the foot, depending....and you can finesse the interior width or room w/different inserts. Redwing makes a thin green insole that works great under the main insole if you want the boots more snug. Don't buy too wide, just endure the break-in---you can use their leather stuff if you want, it will darken the leather--and all will be well.

nabottle

A-List Customer
From all of the reviews I've read, it seems like a toss-up between these two. Wolverine uses Chromexcel Leather and has leather soles. Red Wing GT use Featherstone Leather(I'm really not sure what the quality is here)and has very thin Rubber heel and half sole. It appears to me that the Red Wing Rubber half sole would wear out a lot quicker than the Leather sole on the Wolverine. Based on what I've read, the Wolverines would be superior due to the fact that they appear to use better leather and a longer lasting sole. I'm actually trying to decide on whether to buy a pair of GTs, Iron Rangers, or 1000 Miles. I'm guessing after I buy one of them, I'll be buying a pair of one or both of the others. Does anyone have any data on what the life is on the soles of these boots?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have the GT's in the black cherry colour. Love them!! Have used them for hiking/camping too (that's where the commando sole comes in handy - the leather just wouldn't work at all. Bear in mind they 'are' leather soles with the inset rubber commando). The deep reddishness does wear off in parts as they get worn. But if you need 'grip' then you need some form of rubber sole.
DSCN71091.jpg

DSCN71071.jpg

boots.jpg

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Dunno Paddy they look good to me.I just ordered a pair of William Lennon's traditional workboot in a dark brown grain with a commando sole...as you say in the real world you need grip.if I am honest I'd love a pair fitted with segs and heel plates but know they'd be impractical.
As kids we used to have segs in all of our shoes/boots (Doc M's excepted) even the solid rubber soled variety as they'd make sparks when using your feet to brake coming down hills at night on yer bike!

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Paddy,
Awesome look to those boots, ...Beckman 9011's. The website for RW shows only D sizes. Paddy yours look wide, are they? Can the 9011 come in E? I love the Black Cherry. I tried on RW Chukkas at Nordstroms, too narrow, took em back. Salesman tried to make me understand, "they will break in". I was always told good shoes should fit good right out of the box.... Any input guys? Paddy?
Thanks
John

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I bought a pair of Wolverine Addison boots, liked them so much, I bought a pair of 1000 Mile boots for hot days on the motorcycle. Fit right out of the box and combatable, no break in needed!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Hobo Boots

Here are my Wolverine Addison boots. Very comfortable, and classy looking. You don't have to look like a Hobo when you work!
Addison.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I should have added, the Addisons are the most comfortable shoe I have ever owned, right out of the box! Makes you wonder why tennis shoes surplanted this style of boot?

jksu

Familiar Face
new to TFL and you guys are inspiring (and killing my bank account!)

to match my aero highwayman brown oil-pull horsehide, i just bought a pair of wolverine 1000 mile in brown -- can't wait to get them and break them in.

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
I bought a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots in rust this weekend. Love them. I'm also going to get a pair of Red Wing 606's for foul weather.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
After a 30 mile hike in Scotland :) And very comfy.

But Gents, I had to break them in, so they were not comfy straight out of the box for 'me.' But I never expect boots to be, so that's never an issue.

In response to the Gentleman (above) who posted about the RM's. I LOVE RM's. In fact I'm wearing a pair now. Again, depending on the 'style/model' some are immediately comfy (likes of the work boots such as The Yard and The Gardener). But the more 'dress' styles tend to be more 'hugging' to the foot (so will feel tight) until the leather gives (and it will). Once it comforms to 'your foot,' it will become like a slipper. Plus the leather is so great in these boots that the more beat up and patina they have the better they look, IMHO.

56d00243.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana