Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Wolverine 1000 mile boots sole questions.

winterland1

Practically Family
OK I am looking at getting new boots. You guys are making me spend more money. Have to blame someone.
I like to get a good deal, limited funds so I have been watching sales, Ebay etc.
I have decided I like either the Red Wing Beckman rubber sole or Wolverine 1000 mile boot leather sole. In black. I am in Minnesota and want rubber on the sole. I need practicality not just style.
Has anyone had rubber put on to a leather sole?
My other option is to get the Wolverine Courtland which has a rubber sole but is moc toe. I don't know if I like it as much as non moc toe.
Went into a local Red Wing store to check my fit. The one thing about buying in the store is they said I can come in and have them cleaned for free. Price will be higher though.
I am going to try on the Wolverines soon.
Here are pics of all.
I open to any experiences or opinions of these type of boots. These are all about the same price.
beckman.jpg
Red Wing Beckman
Wolverine1000MileBlack_L1.jpg
wolverine boot
Courtland%20Group-Black.jpg
wolverine courtland

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
I have the Original 1000 miler's with the leather sole I love the fit and look of them. but they do slip on snow and ice..Maybe get a cobbler to add a rubber half sole, be about $35 around here..Great Boots though

Plumbline

One Too Many
You can easilly put a rubber cover sole on a leather sole ( would be glued though .. but no less wearable .. in fact it would protect the leather sole underneath).

The Beckman - which I have the 9035's and not the ones you show - is actually a leather base with the Vibram rubber sewn into the welt. They run true to size. They seem to be wearing OK and the rubber isn't noticeable in the summer ... I'm hoping it's much more practical in the winter.

Either is good .. and both are very wearable, the Wolverines are Horween the Beckmans Featherstone both are VERY good leathers ... the 1000 mile runs a little "long" about 1/2 a size IMHO.

HTH

I just bought a pair of Thorogood boots on Amazon.
I'd been following them for a while and they went on sale...$149.
They are made of Horsehide and have rubber soles. I'll write them up when they arrive next week.

***sorry, soles are Neocord? what is that anyway?

Dude59

New in Town
I have a pair of the 1000mile addisons, they are great boots and you can have a rubber half sole added for about $20. They wont be as deep a tread as those red wings, for that you would have to have the cobbler actually resole the boot with the rubber sewn on as plumbline said. They can do it and if you look at some other forums found through google you can see examples of it, but it is a little more expensive but not much.

As for being in Minnesota, you can again google and find many articles about weather proofing your 1000miles. I have used straight mink oil and I can walk through pretty deep water without issue(sorry, I dont get much snow in NC).

To me, the wolverines seem to be better built than the RedWings, but they don't fit me as well ....It's a shame 'cause I really wanted a pair of the shell cordovan 721s.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I have the Wolverine 1000 Mile and I love them. I tried on the Redwing Beckman BEFORE I ended up getting the Wolverines. In my opinion, the Beckman sole didn't seem very durable. I liked the look and feel, but I chose the Wolverines based on that fact. The fit and feel of the Wolverines are exceptional.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
They are made of Horsehide and have rubber soles. I'll write them up when they arrive next week.

I want a full review, man ;) Been eyeing these for a while now. Seems like a great option at this price point.

Other possibility at under $300 is a pair of used Alden's or perhaps some new Chippewas (eg the "iron works" boots they sell via LL Bean http://m.llbean.com/mt/www.llbean.c...s-katahdin-iron-works-engineer-boots&subrnd=0 )

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have the RW Beckman and the Wolverine 1000. I'm a size 10.5 and bought size 10 in both.

The commando sole on the RW lends it to more rugged wear. The RW is also quite narrow at the side of the boot (plenty of toe room though) and the side seam is slightly rough. After a few wears, the boot felt pretty good, but I have narrow feet. I don't imagine it would work well for wide-footed folks.

The Wolverine 1000 is more comfortable IMO. It felt great from day one and you forget your wearing boots. The soles aren't as weather ready, but I had a topy put on them. I wear them as a "dressy" boot with jeans & khakis. I'm not a lumberjack and feel no need to dress like one. The Courtland looks very nice.

I live in upstate NY and our weather is probably similar to Minnesota. For serious winter weather, I wouldn't recommend either, but the RW is probably a better pick due simply to the commando sole.

frussell

One Too Many
My Chippewa boots are just as well made as my Iron Rangers, at half the price. As far as adding rubber to a leather sole, I've done this to cowboy boots many times, and it's cheap and effective. Frank

My Chippewa boots are just as well made as my Iron Rangers, at half the price. As far as adding rubber to a leather sole, I've done this to cowboy boots many times, and it's cheap and effective. Frank
I was going to post something similar. My US-made Chip's are great boots. Nothing against the others, just sayin'.

winterland1

Practically Family

I wish they made these with a layered leather sole with rubber bottom. Not digging the white rubber soles.

winterland1

Practically Family
I have the RW Beckman and the Wolverine 1000. I'm a size 10.5 and bought size 10 in both.

The commando sole on the RW lends it to more rugged wear. The RW is also quite narrow at the side of the boot (plenty of toe room though) and the side seam is slightly rough. After a few wears, the boot felt pretty good, but I have narrow feet. I don't imagine it would work well for wide-footed folks.

The Wolverine 1000 is more comfortable IMO. It felt great from day one and you forget your wearing boots. The soles aren't as weather ready, but I had a topy put on them. I wear them as a "dressy" boot with jeans & khakis. I'm not a lumberjack and feel no need to dress like one. The Courtland looks very nice.

I live in upstate NY and our weather is probably similar to Minnesota. For serious winter weather, I wouldn't recommend either, but the RW is probably a better pick due simply to the commando sole.

I wouldn't wear these as outdoor winter boots. Have other insulated boots for that. An older Timberland insulated leather pair that have been lasting for ages. I treat them 2 times a year.
Being that, going from your car to work, going out on the town etc., you will be walking on ice, snow and wet snow throughout the winter. So far I haven't been a serious dress shoe guy. Been wearing Dr Martens for ages which have a sole that works inside and out. Looking for a little change.
I agree the Courtlands have been the way I have been leaning so far.

I am appreciating all the feedback.

Last edited:

winterland1

Practically Family
These are the Thorogoods in black

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006XGGBI0

I got the Boerum Hill which are brown.
I was looking at a different boot. http://www.amazon.com/Thorogood-Men...d=1376611706&sr=8-10&keywords=Thorogood+boots
I like yours better for sure. You will have to review them for sure. The cork sole is what is on some of the Red Wings. Better than leather but would still be a little slippery here.

Edit- I looked at the other colors and found this review.
"I called Weinbrenner USA to verify this boot was made in the usa and if it was even made by them. They said it is not one of there styles."
Who knows what is up with that? Either way they look like a solid boot. Would be interesting to see if Weibrenner, who makes Thorogood, actually makes them.

Last edited:
I read that and was confused because they got a pretty good review last year here on the Lounge. Well, with a sale and free returns I figured I'd give them a shot.

winterland1

Practically Family
I read that and was confused because they got a pretty good review last year here on the Lounge. Well, with a sale and free returns I figured I'd give them a shot.
Yes Amazon has a great return policy.

I am curious what Chippewa boots you guys have that are in this style?
I am all for going cheaper if I like them and made in USA or UK.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
The neoprene (cord) sole is what's found on Red Wing's Iron Rangers and some other Red Wing boots. This sole is treacherous on slippery surfaces so I wouldn't recommend it around packed snow, etc.

The recommendation to add a quarter rubber sole is a good one. I've added one to a rubber sole chukka that I have. The rubber protects the leather, only cost $35, and looks great. It's better than the neoprene or leather sole in slippery conditions but definitely takes more thought than a lug sole.

I have the Red Wings and don't like the fit of the Wolverine's so this may drive your decision if you don't have a strong preference.

Boyo's right - checking out White's is never bad advice.

Worf

I'll Lock Up

I got a pair of 6-inch chips that I spit polished to a nice, bright shine. If they weren't so damn hard to break in I'd wear em more often. Still lookin' to score some Heritage Beckman Chukka's one brown, one black. The leather on Chippewa's is outsourced but they are assembled in the U.S. of A.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk