Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reefer Madness Radio.

Wild Root

Gone Home
1121202img8de.jpg

This radio I have here is a 1938 Philco model 38-12. This particular set was painted in an ivory lacquer for use in a kitchen. Most 38-12?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s you find today are stained wood with veneer inlay. This however is factory and is completely original. I had fun with this radio! I took the chassis out and saw that there was NO RUST! That is very rare on most of these sets. Even the power transformer wasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t rusty. Still retained it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s original black paint which polished up like new. All the original cloth insulated wires are in perfect condition as well. I had the radio repaired by my friend and now it plays as good as it looks. Some have asked me if I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m going to restore the cabinet, maybe give it a new coat of paint. I say no way Jos?ɬ©! It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s not really bad when you look at it as being over 60 years old. I feel it has great patina. Also, the grill cloth is original to the set as well.

Now, to tell you about the reason I bought this radio. Any one here see the 1939 film ?¢‚Ǩ?ìRefer Madness?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢? It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a film that addresses the risk and consequences of using Marijuana. It urges parents and teachers to take action against this drug in their schools and homes even as early as 1938. This film was a low budget film but, it is rather funny and also very interesting to see how even back then it was starting to become a problem. For those who have seen it, there is several shots filmed in a kitchen. If you look closely, on top of the refrigerator there sits an ivory painted Philco model 38-12! So, when I found this one I had to buy it because it was exactly like the radio in Refer Madness.

Enjoy,

Root.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
That's a great looking radio, and no, you shouldn't repaint it, it wears its age well.

I love Reefer Madness (soon to be a musical remake). One of the things I like about low budget movies is that they are often shot in real locations so you get a glimpse into the unvarnished past. I don't know if the kitchen you mention was real or a set, but that's the kind of detail (along with vehicles, clothing, signage, decor, etc.) that pops up for those with eagle eyes and an interest in the everyday past.

Does your radio play faster faster FASTER FASTER!!!

;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, it's a great little radio. I have no intents to repaint the old set. It's such a rare survivor that I felt I had to rescue it from the radio shop. Another guy was looking at it and I knew he would repaint it or strip it down to bare wood and refinish it because he thought it was originally stained wood. I bought it for $50 bucks and put $50. into it to get it working. It sits in my kitchen now and looks very smart.

Yeah, the low budget movies are great for that reason you mentioned. I also love real photographs from the period. They truly show a window into the past of what people really wore and how their hair was done. Movies from Hollywood are swell but, over done some times and never portray real life in that time period. But, at that time they were an escape from the hard times most Americans were going through.

Cheers,

Root.

vintageredhead

New in Town
Thats a beauty!!! Perfect for a kitchen!

All I can say is it's a good thing we don't live near each other or we would be fighting over radios all the time!!!
An old radio gives a room so much character and warmth. Do you have any stations nearby that play the old tunes? We did, but they just decided that 'soft rock' is more profitable than 'Memories'. They used to play old radio shows every night at 10 pm. I don't know if I'll ever get over the loss!!!!!! I really miss hearing the big bands on my big Philco!!! (I can't bring myself to listen to the music/ news played now-it's seems sacriligious!!)
Cheers!!
Karen aka Vintageredhead

Wild Root

Gone Home
vintageredhead said:
All I can say is it's a good thing we don't live near each other or we would be fighting over radios all the time!!!
An old radio gives a room so much character and warmth. Do you have any stations nearby that play the old tunes? We did, but they just decided that 'soft rock' is more profitable than 'Memories'. They used to play old radio shows every night at 10 pm. I don't know if I'll ever get over the loss!!!!!! I really miss hearing the big bands on my big Philco!!! (I can't bring myself to listen to the music/ news played now-it's seems sacriligious!!)
Cheers!!
Karen aka Vintageredhead

Oh so true! There used to be a really good station known as KRJB 900 AM.
They played Big Band and swing from the 40's starting early at 6am and played till 12am. They were taken over by a Spanish station in 1994 just as I bought my first 1930's radio! I was SO MAD! I used to listen to KNX 1070 when they used to play old time radio shows but, now they don't do it any longer.

To hear modern music on an old radio is sacrilegious! I so agree with you!!! I need an AM transmitter to hook up to my PC and broadcast online radio stations.

=WR=

hotrod54chevy

New in Town
looks really cool.i have refer madness on DVD.picked it up at halfpriced books,they usually have a ton of em there.now that i think i fixed the problem with my camera i'll try to take some more pictures of my 54 magnavox and 60s RCA hi-fi for you guys..the hi-fi actually says "loudness" on it instead of volume :rolleyes: i'll be getting that up and running after the TV set,since the cable guy is coming this weekend to move our other current downstairs tv and cable box UPSTAIRS.the magnavox will be a daily set used by myself (dont think my girlfriend wants anything to do with the whole matter! :p ) but that just leaves more time for me.the hi-fi i want to get working and see if i can connect a tape deck and CD player to it and hide it somewhere either under it or behind it for parties ;)
frank

Wild Root

Gone Home
PrettyBigGuy said:
Hmmm,
The pic is showing-up as a big, gray box for me. Anyone else having trouble seeing this?

Try and copy the URL and paste it into the address bar then hit go. Or, refresh the page a few times.;)

That's all I can offer in way of advice.

I'm telling you, when I first saw this PHILCO model 38-12 I thought of the one I saw in Refer Madness! I had to have this little gem so, I bought it right up. When I got it home, I just couldn't believe how clean it was on the inside. Aside from the dust, there was no rust or chewed wires or anything! It was just pristine and I cleaned it up really nice.

Any one else having trouble seeing this image of mine?

=WR=

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Any one else having trouble seeing this image of mine?

=WR=
No, but on my monitor the second 'e' in 'Reefer' keeps failing to appear...could be the first 'e', though...hmm... ;) (Sorry, just had to, Root. ;) I thought this thread was actually about a 'refer a friend' drive. :rolleyes: )

J

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
Well, I miss spelled it because I'm no reefer user. :p Don't use it, don't know how to spell it proper see.

Any way, thanks for the correction chum.

=WR=
And thank YOU for having a sense of humor. ;) :cheers1: (Does ANYBODY still call it reefer?)

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have heard some people refer it to as "reefer". So, I'm not sure since I don't really hang out with that kind of crowd but, it's not really referred to as reefer much any more. I think it sounds better then what they call it today.

=WR=

chilidawgguy

New in Town
Very nice radio. I know practically nothing about them, but as a general rule, no antique or vintage item in good condition should ever be refinished. It destroys the value. As for the term "reefer", not that I personally know, you understand, but I have a third cousin whose next door neighbor's wife knows someone who said that her friend's housekeeper's son's college roomate smokes on odd Thursday's when the moon is in the right congress, and he still refers to it as reefer from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails