regarding sheepskin in the southwest

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Hidebound, May 13, 2019.

1. Hidebound

Hidebound New in Town

So I live out in the southwest, where - as some of you may know - the weather can change on a five minute basis and even a relatively cool day can quickly become hot. (It does get cold during the winter mind you, just for a shorter period and there's a great deal of wind involved.)

Unfortunately I really like the soft leather of those vintage sheepskin jackets in the line of the B-6 and D-1 styles.

An alternative I've been looking at is a sheepskin vest (arguably not truly "vintage" but potentially wearable for more months of the year) but not sure if that would be enough to keep from getting heatstroke.

If anyone from the southwest has owned one of these (jackets or vests), what did you think of them? Were they too hot for our weather out here?

2. Mich486

Mich486 Practically Family

Southwest of where? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 One Too Many

I live in Iowa, where we routinely see teens & 20's all winter. I don't wear sheepskins.

4. Hidebound

Hidebound New in Town

Oh sorry, Southwest US.

5. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

What about a C3 USAAF sheepskin vest? Eastmans & Aero both make them. Mine reminded me very much of my D-1 :)

6. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado One of the Regulars

I'm in Southwest Colorado and the only time I wear my b3 is deep winter and only when it's not precipitating as I don't want the sheepskin getting wet. In an age where you can find a jacket that is water resistant and a fraction on the weight of sheepskin it's hard to pick that heavy hide. It makes sense sitting still in a freezing cockpit flying over the Atlantic for sure.

7. Hidebound

Hidebound New in Town

I suppose that does make a lot of sense! I haven't had any kind of sheepskin before, so it didn't occur to me that the rain might damage it.

8. Dav

Dav One Too Many

Rain isn't going to harm your sheepskin, I've put a couple of mine in the washer without any damage being sustained, but that collar when wet is not a pleasant thing to have round your neck I must admit.

Monsoon and Seb Lucas like this.
  9. Corky Corcovado

Corky Corcovado One of the Regulars

Yea, soaked sheepskin is not a good time.