Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

regarding sheepskin in the southwest

Hidebound

New in Town
So I live out in the southwest, where - as some of you may know - the weather can change on a five minute basis and even a relatively cool day can quickly become hot. (It does get cold during the winter mind you, just for a shorter period and there's a great deal of wind involved.)

Unfortunately I really like the soft leather of those vintage sheepskin jackets in the line of the B-6 and D-1 styles.

An alternative I've been looking at is a sheepskin vest (arguably not truly "vintage" but potentially wearable for more months of the year) but not sure if that would be enough to keep from getting heatstroke.

If anyone from the southwest has owned one of these (jackets or vests), what did you think of them? Were they too hot for our weather out here?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What about a C3 USAAF sheepskin vest? Eastmans & Aero both make them. Mine reminded me very much of my D-1 :)

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
I'm in Southwest Colorado and the only time I wear my b3 is deep winter and only when it's not precipitating as I don't want the sheepskin getting wet. In an age where you can find a jacket that is water resistant and a fraction on the weight of sheepskin it's hard to pick that heavy hide. It makes sense sitting still in a freezing cockpit flying over the Atlantic for sure.

Hidebound

New in Town
I'm in Southwest Colorado and the only time I wear my b3 is deep winter and only when it's not precipitating as I don't want the sheepskin getting wet. In an age where you can find a jacket that is water resistant and a fraction on the weight of sheepskin it's hard to pick that heavy hide. It makes sense sitting still in a freezing cockpit flying over the Atlantic for sure.

I suppose that does make a lot of sense! I haven't had any kind of sheepskin before, so it didn't occur to me that the rain might damage it.

Dav

One Too Many
Rain isn't going to harm your sheepskin, I've put a couple of mine in the washer without any damage being sustained, but that collar when wet is not a pleasant thing to have round your neck I must admit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB