Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Regretting to put patches on my new Aero A-2......

Justhandguns

Practically Family
I have ordered a Aero A-2 jacket with the 506th PIR and the airborne patches. I got the jacket a few weeks ago and then sent it back for sewing the backordered patches on. The painted 506th PIR looks pretty good and accurate, but the screaming eagle patch is very very disappointing. First, they sew it on the wrong side of the jacket...... on the right arm.... not on the left arm, then it is the patch, it is just a bit horrible. I have taken it off immediately, but you all know all the stitch holes left on the nicely new smooth HH.

The way to sort this out, I would think, is to order a painted US stars and stripes patch to cover the holes up. I am going to order it from somewhere else. And I shall try to source a proper screaming eagle patch to for the left shoulder.

Umm, so a bit of advice for everyone, whenn you deal with Aero, make sure you instruct them to do exactly of what you want........ :eusa_doh:

andy richards

Practically Family
Sorry to hear this, mate.
I would advice to contact Amanda at Aero and discuss the problem politely.
She, and the staff, are very patient and helpful people.
If possible, please post a picture of your A-2.
Good luck,
Andy

too much coffee

Practically Family
Really sorry to hear about your dilemma JHG; maybe you already know this but in the U.S. Army an origanizational patch (101st Screaming Eagles patch) is placed on the right shoulder denoting former wartime service of the wearer to that unit. We call that a "combat patch."

I am only offering this to help you plan your placement of a future patch(es).

Best of luck and again, really sorry to hear about the misfortune. But like Andy says, maybe Amanda and Aero can somehow make it right.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Really sorry to hear about your dilemma JHG; maybe you already know this but in the U.S. Army an origanizational patch (101st Screaming Eagles patch) is placed on the right shoulder denoting former wartime service of the wearer to that unit. We call that a "combat patch."

I am only offering this to help you plan your placement of a future patch(es).

Best of luck and again, really sorry to hear about the misfortune. But like Andy says, maybe Amanda and Aero can somehow make it right.

Umm........ I didn't know. In that case, it should be on the right arm then? I have only been looking at some old photos.

Let me see if I can take some pics. It doesn't look too bad when I take it out to the sun.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Just stay away from patches. Sooner or later there will come the time when you will have to admit that you prefer your jacket without the patches.
Stitch holes (without the patch) are horrible on a leather jacket, in fact they can ruin the whole jacket for me. If you can't live with them either ask Aero to replace the sleeve panel. It shouldn't be too expensive and it's a relatively easy repair.

Edward

Bartender
For an "only A2", I'd steer away from patches myself. I have two, one an unpatched Eastman (though it does have the Army Air Forces decal), and one an Aero in goat, with a large fighter group patch on the chest. The latter is definitely a 'casual wear only' jacket as a result of that, whereas the former I would think nothing of wearing to the office on occasion, over a collar and tie. I would like eventually to have a russet A2 made up in a particular CBI, patched theme, but that definitely reduces the situation in which it can be worn. Not to mention that while I'm indifferent to "Indy" cracks, I suspect I might go postal at the first whiff of a "nice Top Gun jacket" comment.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Well, that's why I am happy to keep my ELC .50Cal patch free. The Aero A-2 is more like an experimental jacket for me..... thank God! It is more of my obsession of getting the late Major Dick Winters jacket. I think this further fuels my desire to get my next A-2. I am saving up for that one! Three choices, ELC Star Sportswear, Bill Kelso's Roughwear, or another Aero Russet?

Edward

Bartender
Ha, well... all depends on how much you want to spend. Money no object, join the waiting list for one of John's GoodWears (alas until we see another dollar crash like circa 2007, I'll not be able to stretch to that). Of the UK makers, ELC have the edge on accuracy, it seems, though in my experience Aero provide just as good a jacket in terms of a garment; whether the extra coin is worth it to you for the additional accuracy is a personal choice. I'm inclined to compromise a bit myself, being as I'm not a re-enactor, and in any case the most accurate USAAF uniform in the world won't disguise that as a middle aged, bald guy I'm certainly not 'period accurate' USAAF material. ;) The Bill Kelsos look nice and have received a positive reaction around here. If they worked out significantly cheaper than an Aero Real Deal, I'd be tempted to try one. At present they're about the same price, by the time you pay postage to London, what with the pound weakagainst the Euro. All depends what you want, really. To be honest, I can't see myself ever paying for an A2 what I could have the likes of an Aero halfbelt for, but again that's all subjective.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Just stay away from patches. Sooner or later there will come the time when you will have to admit that you prefer your jacket without the patches.
Stitch holes (without the patch) are horrible on a leather jacket, in fact they can ruin the whole jacket for me. If you can't live with them either ask Aero to replace the sleeve panel. It shouldn't be too expensive and it's a relatively easy repair.

I know it's personal taste, but I don't understand why anyone would put patches on a leather jacket.

442RCT

One of the Regulars
I know it's personal taste, but I don't understand why anyone would put patches on a leather jacket.

I love patched and painted leather jackets :D With that being said, I also own over 50 jackets, both A-2s and G-1s, and I 'usually' only patch or paint my second tier jackets, my Aeros, Eastmans and Real McCoys I leave....exception might be a personalized name tape. I do have Aeros, ELCs, and RWs that I've purchased pre-painted by the former owners.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Emailing Amanda to see what can be done. Apparently they treated it as USAAF patches, and not Army patches.
Worst come to worst, I would order two painted leather patches and stick them on both sides.

Updated....

Amanda insisted that it is correct. I don't mind really, but not the perfect jacket in my eye though.

Last edited:

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
I agree with the viewpoint that a patched a-2 is preferrable only when you have more than one a-2. I had original WWII 8th air corps & Army Air Forces patches sewn onto a vintage seal horsehide Avirex a-2. I have really enjoyed it on casual days off. I don't tend to wear it with khakis because it starts looking too close to a uniform. I have several other a-2s that I can wear to work/dressy situations. A couple of years ago I won an authentic G-1 on ebay that had lots of Navy patches on it. Despite the fact it looks cool (albeit Top Gun) I have never worn it because I have concern about looking like a "wannabe". That comes from being former air force and now a private pilot.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
This is the actual jacket. Actually, I really really like it. The fit is perfect, the leather is soft and nice. The only thing odd is just the Screaming Eagle badge on the right side instead of the left like in WW2.

IMG_01812.jpg

GoodTimesGone

One of the Regulars
Sharp looking Aero! Like the website says "these jackets are meant to be treated roughly". Aero horsehide is strong leather. Like you indicated another patch could be put where the screaming eagle had been. However, I've seen variation in patch placement in many photos of air corps pilots, so there could have been in airborne troops as well. Jackets done up like yours are a great way to honor a military unit you admire.
-Tom

Just ran across this while searching for a patch maker by the name of Aero-Patch and thought to add my 2 cents here. Regardless of what Amanda says, the 101st goes on the wearers left shoulder, end of story.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Just ran across this while searching for a patch maker by the name of Aero-Patch and thought to add my 2 cents here. Regardless of what Amanda says, the 101st goes on the wearers left shoulder, end of story.

I doubt Amanda's going to have the opportunity to give such duff gen again any time soon...

I didn't expect this to be dug up now.

Well, the jacket is still in my wardrobe... And well, as far as I remember, I protested a few times by email and 'the people in charge' at that time still insisted that it was on the correct side. I also remember I also gave them specific instruction from the beginning. But anyway, the Screaming Eagle patch was a total disappointment at that time. Actually, I have another set of patches from a2jacketpatches which I can replace them with....... just that I have lost a bit of my motivation already.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I had the same thing happen with another jacket maker. Put the squadron patch on the wrong side and refused to change it. Idiots, I've NOT purchased from him since...

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
Umm........ I didn't know. In that case, it should be on the right arm then? I have only been looking at some old photos.

A bit of understandable confusion here. If this is an intended reproduction of a jacket during the war, the patch, as a2jacketpatches said, goes on the left sleeve. If the jacket is being worn after the war, the patch would go on the right sleeve, indicating prior combat with the 101st. JHG, the photos you were looking at were probably taken during the war.

This is the protocol for patched jackets if the wearer stays in the Army after his combat service and is assigned to another unit, outside of the combat theater. After being assigned to the non combat unit, the patch of that unit would be placed on the left sleeve, and the 101st patch, the "combat patch," would be moved to the right sleeve.

If the wearer of the jacket does not stay in the Army, he can put his patches wherever he wants. Most, however, leave them where they were during their service. In my opinion, it would be logical to have the 101st patch moved to the right shoulder, indicating he had been in combat with the 101st. Leaving the 101st patch on the left shoulder would indicate non combat service with that unit. I doubt that anyone actually takes the trouble to do this, however. Many soldiers and officers getting out of the Army after WWII may not have even known there was a combat patch protocol.

Hope this clarifies the situation, rather than muddying it.

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab

And you'd know, right? What with your extensive 'service to your nation' making patches and all (rolls eyes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider