Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Remakes

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Yes or no? Sometimes i wonder what they are thinking when they remake a movie for the "modern" audience...
As my husband is found of saying, "Mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery"!!!
So i wonder what this one will be like.. Don't get me wrong i love sci fi myself. And the 1950's sci fi is some of the best!! LOL... Or maybe the worst?
The Day The Earth Stood Still(2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0970416/

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I think remakes can have their place. Lets face it, some movies do need to be updated, but to remake a movie solely off the original movies momentum is the problem.

Most remakes today are not remade from the source material, but from the market of the first film.

Case in point, Psycho.

Id love to see some bad movies remade, the Handmaid's Tale comes to mind. Amazing book! Horrid film. But there is no build in demographic in remaking bad old movies.

LD

Josephine

One Too Many
When people grumble about remakes I always like to bring up The Thing. :) I have problems when film makers just want to remake it to make money, because the time period is "in". (Dukes of Hazzard!)

dr greg

One Too Many
things

Ah THE THING! A masterpiece, I could never work out why Carpenter's version wasn't well-received, by coincidence I saw the original the other night" it was very much of its time, and cheesy to boot, but it had some nice flight jackets in it I never noticed when I saw it as a kid.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
I started a thread about this a while back, and of course The Thing has to be mentioned in such a thread. It follows the original source material far closer than the original version.

Also, one must not forget The Maltese Falcon. The superior 1941 version with Bogart is the one everyone is familer with, but there were two versions previous to it.

NH

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Also, one could consider The Magnificent Seven a remake of Seven Samurai and A Fistful of Dollars a remake of Yojimbo.

NH

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Nighthawk said:
Also, one could consider The Magnificent Seven a remake of Seven Samurai and A Fistful of Dollars a remake of Yojimbo.

NH

I think taking concepts of films is different.

The Cinderella concept has been done many times over, for example.

Using the same characters is a remake. :eusa_doh:

LD

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Heres another example...
I am Legand was a book written in 1954... It became The Last Man on Earth(1964) with Vincent Price, then The Omega Man(1971) with Charleton Heston and then it remakes again into I am Legand(2007) with Will Smith...
I have not seen the first and the third installments but the 1971 version was horrible.. I have seen that a couple times... The 1970's seemed to be an era of horrible post apocoliptic movies... The man threat to mankind was not from computers/robots or from outer space then, it was from within.. I mean we are our own worst enemy..
I just hope that nobody gets a wild urge to remake The Blob or The Creature From the Lost Lagoon.. Akkkkkkk....
Ok some b rated movies that got remade are:
The Fly
Planet of the Apes
And there were some tv to movie remakes too like:
Lost in Space
Miami Vice
Starsky and Hutch, yeck.....
Help me out here i am sure there are many many more...

Kassia

One of the Regulars
:eusa_doh:
On my gosh, i didn't realize that The Blob had been remade!!
And according to IMDB Creature from the Black Lagoon is due to be released in 2009... So sorry...

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
Kassia said:
... The 1970's seemed to be an era of horrible post apocoliptic movies... The man threat to mankind was not from computers/robots or from outer space then, it was from within.. I mean we are our own worst enemy..

Check out A Boy and His Dog after reading the novella on which its based. It's one of the best post-apocalyptic films from the 1970s.

NH

Naphtali

Practically Family
Nighthawk said:

NH
I strongly disagree. Remakes, by definition, have identical titles. Having written that, is the appalling "The Jackal" a remake of "Day of the Jackal?" The late Fred Zinneman thought so and induced the producers to change the remake's title.

Perhaps my enmity toward remakes as a group is the use of titles. Many remakes are, of themselves, not too bad. As remakes of superior entertainment, however, they do not measure up. Had they been titled differently and been permitted to stand on their merits rather than piggyback on the more entertaining previous motion picture, they would have fared better critically and in the marketplace.

Feraud

Bartender
Josephine said:
When people grumble about remakes I always like to bring up The Thing. :)

The Thing is great! I love the original but the remake did an excellent job of what it is supposed to do - tell an entertaining story.

If any remake does this then all is well. Remakes take nothing away from an original. In fact, a remake may well bring a generation of viewers to appreciate films, directors, and actors they may never have heard of.

It is a win-win situation.

Edward

Bartender
A touchy subject for me at present, as Lou Adler is yet again threatening to do a remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, and this time it looks like it might actually be more than just a ruse to raise brand awareness ahead of a new DVD pressing.

As a rule, I'm not utterly opposed to remakes. What I am deeply against is the paucity of imagination and hunger for a quick buck in present day Hollywood which has created a situation where so many new movies are lazy remakes, or poor lifts from television series. Some remakes could be done well (e.g. a Breakfast at Tiffanys which didn't sell out the ending in the book for some happy-dappy feelgood mush), but so many of them are really just cheap cash-ins...

Another one that's supposedly on the horizon, btw, is a remake of The Warriors, with the action moved from NYC to LA and a supposedly more "realistic" representation of gangs. Seems pointless to me, but there you go!

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
Another one that's supposedly on the horizon, btw, is a remake of The Warriors, with the action moved from NYC to LA and a supposedly more "realistic" representation of gangs. Seems pointless to me, but there you go!
Now this I will not tolerate! ;)

Staggerly

New in Town
Personally, I blame Michael Caine. Leaving Sylvester Stallone, Marky Mark and Jude Law to correct all his mistakes! Shameful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points