Removing Sherpa lining

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TheMarriedHermit, Oct 3, 2018.

1. TheMarriedHermit

TheMarriedHermit One of the Regulars

I've been looking for a leather vest for quite a while now. I've come across one in a style that I really like, at a great price, but it's lined with that white Sherpa stuff. I'm tempted to buy it and rip that lining out. Raw leather on the inside would be fine with me, but I don't know how that lining is attached and what to expect (glue marks?) when it's out. Any advice appreciated.

2. Guppy

Guppy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Resist temptation, unless the price puts it in the throwaway range.

TheMarriedHermit likes this.
  3. TheMarriedHermit

It is in that range, although I'd hate to waste a good vest. I just don't need insulation, and I never liked that Sherpa fleece. It's hard to find a vest in good, thick, and brown leather that's not insulated and/or in the Western or the Orvis/LL Bean style.

Sent from my LG-SP320 using Tapatalk

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

My favorite stand alone vest is in brown duck with the white sherpa lining. I think it is L.L. Bean.

Now, I have about 15 other vests, but they aren't the stand alone chain saw type vest that I like so well about this one. They are made to be worn under an outer garment for layering warmth. This one is worn by itself, is tough and furnishes plenty of warmth when doing other activities.

If the leather vest is available at a good price, you may come to like the sherpa lining. I do.

5. Edward

Edward Bartender

What sort of style are you after? It seems likely that someone would know where to find one without the offending insulation layer if you can show us a picture.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim One of the Regulars

I've done it, but it was less than aesthetically pleasing. Glue had been used in assembly, so there were strips of glue and remains of the lining at the seams and in a couple spots on each panel of the vest. Removing the lining also changed the fit.

It could have been fixed by disassembling the vest, removing the traces of glue and lining, then re-assembling with or without a new liner. More trouble than it was worth. I think I finally wound up using the leather for other projects.

I've got another project going now, removing the sherpa liner from a denim jacket. If there weren't other reasons for doing so, it would be less trouble to start from scratch.

7. David Conwill

David Conwill Call Me a Cab

I've heard of fellows trimming down the sheepskin collars on flight jackets. Perhaps that's a route you could take to minimize the fuzz without compromising the vest entirely?

8. TheMarriedHermit

s-l1600.jpg #2.jpg

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

10. TheMarriedHermit

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try the custom route down the line, once time and knowledge of options clarify my vision of the best vest in the West. For now I bought the one in the pictures; it came closest to what I had in mind. It's worth fifteen bucks, plus shipping, to test the proposition of wearing vests, which I haven't done since the dinosaurs roamed the Earth, that's been bugging me lately. Who knows, I might even learn to live with the dreaded Sherpa.

Edward likes this.
  11. Guppy

Maybe instead of ripping out the lining, you could shave it?

Monitor and TheMarriedHermit like this.
  12. TheMarriedHermit

That is an option. Any suggestions as to how to do it?

13. Guppy

Try electric hair clippers, shortest setting. Then if needed touch up with a razor.

14. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Rip out sherpa.....said no one ever.

15. TheMarriedHermit

?