Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Replace A Stolen Jacket

timoto

New in Town
Hello All

I'm this lucky guy travelling around the world on a motorcycle, Europe, Africa and now South America.

However, I recently ran into a spot of bad luck when a crazy Brazilian woman stole all my stuff including my old leather jacket.

Here are some images of it:

t4.jpg

t1.jpg

t3.jpg

I'm guessing people on this forum are experts in the field and can probably tell me which year make and model it is and maybe where I can find another one. It was not a well made jacket, but I got attached to it and would like to get a close approximation.

If it's not possible to get the same jacket, perhaps someone knows a good alternative in the same style, colour etc.

The closest I found was a new and rather expensive, but probably very well made Air Comfort from Eastman:

AirComfortsmall.jpg

Thanks I hope you can help.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Crazy Brazilian woman? Nasty. Hopefully she was worth it. :D Shame about the jacket, it looks like that thing had character.

I assume you bought that jacket while thrifting? It's a bomber jacket style popular in the 40s and 50s, but also reproduced later on. Yours looks 1950s if i'm not mistaken? I like the piping around the pockets.

If you want to achieve the same look, I would try to find another vintage replacement. Search on ebay for 'horsehide jacket' or 'vintage sears jacket' and you might get lucky.

Also try this site: http://www.vintagetrends.com/Vintag...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Leather/Suede

timoto

New in Town
Crazy Brazilian woman? Nasty. Hopefully she was worth it. :D Shame about the jacket, it looks like that thing had character.

I assume you bought that jacket while thrifting? It's a bomber jacket style popular in the 40s and 50s, but also reproduced later on. Yours looks 1950s if i'm not mistaken? I like the piping around the pockets.

If you want to achieve the same look, I would try to find another vintage replacement. Search on ebay for 'horsehide jacket' or 'vintage sears jacket' and you might get lucky.

Also try this site: http://www.vintagetrends.com/Vintag...tage&CA=Men&SC=Jackets/Coats&ST=Leather/Suede

OMG she was totally not worth it, but that's a whole other story :)

Actually it was a previous ex who was thrifting and gave me that jacket in the first place, another whole other story.

Yeah I like that piping too !

Thanks for the details.

timoto

New in Town

timoto

New in Town
I've been to Brazil. You sure "she" was genetically a "woman"? Let's just say that the other person was a crazy Brazilian thief.

Ai ai, I'm not going to get into this story here, perhaps in my "memoirs of a maluca brasileira".

:)

JanSolo

Practically Family
The Air Comfort might be exactly what you are looking for. It's a well made jacket which is trimmer fitting than Aero's 50s Bomber Jacket which was brought to the market as an A2 alternative for more portly built individuals...
Also there shouldn't be a long wait period with Eastman as most of their models seem to be in stock at the moment.

Aero might also have just the right jacket for you but the 50s Bomber is not the correct stock pattern to start with. A FQHH A2 with different pocket would be better...

Hmm. That's what he gets for helping?
Good luck.

Remember: This is a polite place.:)

Fifty150

One Too Many
Since you're traveling, you probably do not have a fixed address for shipping. It also sounds like you're on a budget. But lucky for you, you're in a third world country. I'll bet that if you make inquiries, you could probably find a hand made jacket, to your specs, at a very affordable price from a local craftsman. I know that Brazil isn't known for tailors like Hong Kong & Shanghai. But I'm sure that they do have people there who work with leather. Try the bigger cities first.

timoto

New in Town
Since you're traveling, you probably do not have a fixed address for shipping. It also sounds like you're on a budget. But lucky for you, you're in a third world country. I'll bet that if you make inquiries, you could probably find a hand made jacket, to your specs, at a very affordable price from a local craftsman. I know that Brazil isn't known for tailors like Hong Kong & Shanghai. But I'm sure that they do have people there who work with leather. Try the bigger cities first.

Howdy there. :)

Actually I do have a fixed address for the next 2 months, which is long enough for such an order.

I was considering buying the Air Comfort, though a touch expensive, but that was my limit, going to an Aero with modifications is going way beyond.

I like the idea of discovering what jacket I actually had in the past and maybe hunting another one down, but I'm surprised I've not seen one yet.

Brazil is no longer a third world country, it is growing fast and the majority of the population is now in the middle class bracket, ie not living in slums. Home ownership is on the rise and money borrowing is through the roof to the great satisfaction of money lenders and investors. Brazil is the most expensive South American country and Sao Paulo the largest city in South America, where I am right now, is comparable to the price of living in London, my home city. When European comes here they complain about how expensive everything is and run out of cash before their holidays are over.

There are people that work with leather here, but not to anywhere near the standards of even the stolen jacket. I did actually find a guy who makes jackets for bikers and the like, but his prices were the same as in the UK with less guarantee of a job well done.

When I was in Africa it was possible to have all sorts of great stuff made to measure, tool rolls, journal cases, suits, bed linen furniture etc and with some pretty high quality people and extremely cheap. Brazil is not like that anymore.

Maybe if I go to Uruguay, Paraguay or Argentina there will be better chance there.

Oops sorry, I don't like to offend. Perhaps I was a little curt.

True it is a solution, but it is too expensive for me, and not the same colour as I would wish.

Thanks all the same

My opinion is that if one asks for assistance, and even if the given assistance isn't what I'm looking for, I'm still gracious for the help.
It keeps the place much nicer for all!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
What you had there was a generic bomber type jacket that will be hard to identify as it is not a classically well-known design.

I would go with the "Raider" jacket by Gibson and Barnes - similar to what you had and without those annoying cargo pockets A2's, G1's and Indiana Jones jackets have.

The Gibson and Barnes in goat will be nice to wear, very strong and last forever. It is also easy to order and will arrive swiftly.

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
I thought the jacket looked familiar. It's not an exact copy but a gentleman on this forum makes a very similar jacket. You'll have to inquire about pricing, not sure if they run cheaper or more expensive than Eastman, but maybe worth looking into it. Maybe he'll even add a bit of piping ... Check out the thread below and his website:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45010-40-s-bomber-jacket

http://superiorjackets.com/?page_id=89

It does look like a Fonzie jacket with a mouton collar. Aero also makes their Happy Days jacket, normally with a plain leather collar, but I'm sure they'd add it as an extra. I actually have an Aero Happy Days jacket -- it's great.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=23

Last edited:

timoto

New in Town
I thought the jacket looked familiar. It's not an exact copy but a gentleman on this forum makes a very similar jacket. You'll have to inquire about pricing, not sure if they run cheaper or more expensive than Eastman, but maybe worth looking into it. Maybe he'll even add a bit of piping ... Check out the thread below and his website:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?45010-40-s-bomber-jacket

http://superiorjackets.com/?page_id=89

It does look like a Fonzie jacket with a mouton collar. Aero also makes their Happy Days jacket, normally with a plain leather collar, but I'm sure they'd add it as an extra. I actually have an Aero Happy Days jacket -- it's great.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=23

Ooo yeah, now were cookin' with gas.

I'll post that guy a mail about his jackets, very close indeed.

Thanks garzo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points