Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

replacing an A-2 Liner...can it really be doNe?

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
question about replacing a liner on a good a-2 jacket...found one i wish to buy, but the liner is worn through in a few spots, not just torn, so i wanted to know if a good leather jacket facility can replace an a-2 liner with the proper material, and do it so it looks as if manufactured with the new liner, meaning retracing thread into the holes that are already in the leather, etc., or is liner replacing always something that will leave tell-tale marks so it will be discernible as a relined jacket?

any info on this is appreciated, including things to be aware of, and looking out for when finding someone to replace a liner, if it indeed can be done properly without variations and marks the original didn't have....thanks

Juanito

One of the Regulars
Sure you can, but like everything else, it depends on what you want to pay. Generally, it is cost prohibitive and it is virtually impossible to get a tight stitch through holes that already exist.

Here is an example people regularly pay upwards of $800 for an A-2 Restoration from anyone of the reproduction manufacturer's like Eastman, Aero, or Lost Worlds--and that is resewing a liner, cuffs and zipper into a jacket--more like a refurbishment than a true restoration.

The two that I saw had some resewn stitching to the leather (sleeve in one and pocket work on another and the seamstress charged $2000 for a recreation of the liner and a "stitch hole" restoration.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Juanito said:
Sure you can, but like everything else, it depends on what you want to pay. Generally, it is cost prohibitive and it is virtually impossible to get a tight stitch through holes that already exist.

Here is an example people regularly pay upwards of $800 for an A-2 Restoration from anyone of the reproduction manufacturer's like Eastman, Aero, or Lost Worlds--and that is resewing a liner, cuffs and zipper into a jacket--more like a refurbishment than a true restoration.

The two that I saw had some resewn stitching to the leather (sleeve in one and pocket work on another and the seamstress charged $2000 for a recreation of the liner and a "stitch hole" restoration.

Wow! These prices are way off. ELC and Aero will replace the lining and knits for much less than this.

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
question about replacing a liner on a good a-2 jacket...found one i wish to buy, but the liner is worn through in a few spots, not just torn, so i wanted to know if a good leather jacket facility can replace an a-2 liner with the proper material, and do it so it looks as if manufactured with the new liner, meaning retracing thread into the holes that are already in the leather, etc., or is liner replacing always something that will leave tell-tale marks so it will be discernible as a relined jacket?

any info on this is appreciated, including things to be aware of, and looking out for when finding someone to replace a liner, if it indeed can be done properly without variations and marks the original didn't have....thanks

I had Shaul Dover at US Authentic refurbish my Eastman A-2. He replaced the liner and knits for less than $200US. Upon close inspection you can tell it's been relined although that's not to say it was poorly done. I think it would be difficult to totally disguise a relining job. In the end this is a garment and repairs will need to be done occasionally if you plan to use it...otherwise it's a museum piece. k

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Last I heard Good Wear (who literally IS John Chapman) was way too busy building new jackets to do restorations. This might have changed, tho.

Some guys have replaced their own liners, handsewing thru the existing holes (making new ones often weakens the hide). Handsewing takes plenty of time, obviously, but it's a mistake to think that it can't be done strongly and securely.

There are also sophisticated operations to learn, as in all men's clothing, where garments must be both sturdy and well-fitting.
-Most A-2s have 2 lines of stitching holding the liner and hide together - a reinforced seam and a blind hem just outside of that to make it look tidy. Both are invisible from the outside and have to be done with the jacket inside out. One or both typically go thru a layer of knit as well.
-The zipper, which is held in with the same seam that holds the liner, will have to be fully removed and reinstalled.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
Re ReLining.......yiKes!

thank all of you for the info...at the best it sounds like i'd end up paying at least as much as a used class act a-2 would cost me itself (around $200 the best quote i've heard) and you'd still not be able to have it look like it hadn't had a liner replaced, though the work might be excellent...

i saw a very nice willis and geiger in my size in the $225 range, great leather but liner ripping...sounds like my strategy would be more to find a used jacket i like in great shape inside and out and pay an extra $100 on the purchase price...starting to sound like a real deal versus $200 to $2000 (wheW!)

thanks for the info everyone

johnnyjohnny

Kevin Popejoy

One of the Regulars
johnnyjohnny said:
thank all of you for the info...at the best it sounds like i'd end up paying at least as much as a used class act a-2 would cost me itself (around $200 the best quote i've heard) and you'd still not be able to have it look like it hadn't had a liner replaced, though the work might be excellent...

i saw a very nice willis and geiger in my size in the $225 range, great leather but liner ripping...sounds like my strategy would be more to find a used jacket i like in great shape inside and out and pay an extra $100 on the purchase price...starting to sound like a real deal versus $200 to $2000 (wheW!)

thanks for the info everyone

johnnyjohnny

Well, the lining job itself was only $85. The total I gave you included some other work. Whether it's worth it depends on the jacket. I've had a few vintage jackets rehabed and consider it money well spent. Also consider a local tailor. The work we're talking about...re-lining, new knits, etc. is not rocket science. Most any skilled tailor that does leather work can do this stuff. I had a vintage G-1 done locally with new knits and new mouton collar for about $125 total. You can't see the repairs on that...other than it's an early 50's jacket with perfect knits and mouton of course. k

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925