Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Repro 1930s Sears Original Hercules jackets; whose is best?

Whose is the best Sears Original Hercules repro?

• Total voters

schitzo

Suspended
Time for a poll!

For this thread I have three contenders in mind; Aero, Good Wear, and Bill Kelso. Rainbow County don't make the cut cos AFAIK theirs is not customisable.

I'm afraid the great Chinese firewall doesn't allow me to post pictures of anything, anywhere, atm. But if any public spirited & kind doer of good deeds feels like doing another... pls go ahead and post away. You'll be earning yourself some good TFL karma. In the absence of pics here are the links:

GW Californian Imperial: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152762088275676.1073741831.87454655675&type=1
BK Heracles: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.862960473734245.1073742089.540638042633158&type=1
Aero Original Hercules: http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/product-detail.php?id=1406

In my view, and it could be that owning one which I love has clouded my judgement (alternatively, it could be that I own one because I have excellent judgement) it's hard to look past the aero. I'm aware that choosing an aero over a GW probably reads like lunacy to most of you but bear with me for a moment. When I saw pics of the Imperial on our good friend Handymike, I couldn't help noticing the length. It seems to be a bit longer. And obviously the BK version is in a longer length too. With the aero I feel like this is the ultimate short fitted jacket. In fact, the fit of the thing feels to me like it belongs in their premium range - fitted but not skin tight, with slim arms and a comfortable half cord collar. But more than that, it's the rest of the details that I really think make it such a winner. The shiny gold hardware against the super grainy and pliable jet black FQHH (on mine it is) for example, really set it apart from other run of the mill black leather jackets that you might encounter on the high street. Frankly, that's a combination I wouldn't have requested but it works great. I also dig hard the cord lining, cord backed collar and the absence of a chest pocket. Granted those details are all customisable and obviously JC and BK can do that too.. but we're talking about the models as are i.e. in their current incarnation as presented to the market by the maker. I think they all have the hookless zipper, which is another detail I like a lot. In my deliberations this wasn't even a factor, but it can also be noted that the aero is by far the cheapest, and AFAIK is the only one available in black goatskin. A word about the Heracles before I go, which shouldn't be overlooked. It too does look like a belter with a stack of great details, but I just don't dig this jacket in this length as much as I would had they turned out a shorter version.

Anyway, please take a moment to vote in the poll and if you have a comment, add it below. I'll be interested to learn which one - based on the pics - you lot like most

Here's a thread with the review of mine btw, fit pics on pages 1 and 7.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?77180-Aero-1920s-Original-Hercules&highlight=

*NB. Obviously the older generation felt mine was 3 inches too short, but that one is as Ken presented it WITH half an inch added. Remember, we are talking about the stock versions of these models as brought to market by each maker. Granted, we are short on fit pics here but don't let that stop y'all from jumping to conclusions!

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Can't vote. They're each great and very different. I think the Kelso and Goodwear look more refined, but the Aero seems more wearable, in a good way.

schitzo

Suspended
Can't vote. They're each great and very different. I think the Kelso and Goodwear look more refined, but the Aero seems more wearable, in a good way.

Nick get off the fence and stop being such an old woman! I don't wanna hear any apples and oranges BS from you! Just pick the one you'd buy if you only had enough money to afford one, and if all other styles were off the menu. It's really not as difficult as you make it sound. Can I entice you with a virtual hug for your vote? ^_^

Here's my take:
If you want the closest in historical accuracy- Kelso. They nailed all the details of the original, and if you really want it shorter you can spec it.
The Aero and GW are not accurate Hercules reproductions.
Aero used production pattern elements from other jackets in their line-up. John's jacket is an amalgam of 3-4 jackets, and uses elements from an old Californian jacket. It's the result of my "Grail" musings and his artistry/ expertise.
It all comes down to what you're looking for in a jacket.

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
The Aero and GW are not accurate Hercules reproductions.
Aero used production pattern elements from other jackets in their line-up. QUOTE]

Really? When I went there Ken showed me an original, complete with wonky stictching that he had, which was a short jacket that looked like it was probably a 38. I guess it was since it was his jacket and that's his size. Anyway, my understanding was that aero simply cloned this jacket, but left out the wonky stitching and therefore made it to a higher standard.

Anyway, accuracy aside Handy, the question is which of the three choices most appeals to you. I guess that'd be the Imperial, right?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero's is based on an original they have in the factory - in fact, it's Ken's own original that he used to wear (I've tried it on myself) and the pattern is taken off it directly.

schitzo

Suspended
is there an echo in here?

Don't be shy to vote boys, I'm sure nobody will hold it against you. They're all very nice

But you can't deny the cuffs are the same as the 30's half-belt, the back yoke is set higher than the original, and the angles of the central back panel aren't as angled as an original.
Just know that I'm not knocking Aero's version. I even emailed Holly about purchasing one of their prototypes a while back. I'm just saying that it isn't "historically accurate" in the BK sense..... :)

schitzo

Suspended
But you can't deny the cuffs are the same as the 30's half-belt, the back yoke is set higher than the original, and the angles of the central back panel aren't as angled as an original.
Just know that I'm not knocking Aero's version. I even emailed Holly about purchasing one of their prototypes a while back. I'm just saying that it isn't "historically accurate" in the BK sense..... :)

Ahah, this is where it gets interesting. Me, idk what I'm talking about, I just know what Ken told me and when I saw it I didn't exactly study it carefully for I did not anticipate this conversation would come up several years later. I just noticed the wonky stitching and agreed that yes it did look rather crappy. Sloane, are you denying any of that?

Personally I need a closer look at some of these pics..

schitzo

Suspended
And, yes Schitz- the Imperial originated in my head, so it's the best jacket for me.

It makes sense. So go ahead and vote for your fave. For me it was touch and go with the aero and GW, but I went aero mainly on the length.
Am I correct with my assumption that the Imperial is a little longer? It is supposed to sit further down than a Ventura for example, isn't it?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Schitzo,

Your basis for exalting the Aero over the GW and BK does not make sense. As you correctly observe, both the GW and BK jackets are customizable and, therefore, the length is dictated by the customer (HM spec'd the length of the GW Imperial). One can order both jackets in any length, including shorter. Therefore, length is not a sound basis for concluding that one is superior to the other.

I agree with HM: the BK is deadly accurate and has some interesting finishing touches. On the other hand, HM's GW Imperial -- particularly his new one to be delivered today -- is also gorgeous. The GW and BK are very different, but both excellent in their own right. The Aero is also praiseworthy, but I personally prefer the other two a tad more.

I think Nick is correct in his answer:
"They're each great and very different."
just because they all have multi paneled backs, they aren't the same jackets.
Fit pictures will tell the story..... :)

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo,

Your basis for exalting the Aero over the GW and BK does not make sense.

I think it does make sense if you read the whole thing back. I'm talking about each maker's interpretation, not mine. BK have made a longer one, and good for them. Sure I could ask for it shorter, but then it wouldn't be the same as the thing they're touting, would it?. Equally I could ask Ken for another 3 inches which in turn would also make it a different jacket.

I can see that the intellectuals and pseudo intellectuals on here have enough rope to not vote.. but boys, FFS. Must we take these polls so seriously?! It's a matter of personal preference, granted, and I am merely enquiring about yours. So be a sport and let a brother know. Thanks

Looking forward to those fit pics HM

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Alright, I voted GW because that's the one I'd like to have tomorrow. But they're really apples and oranges. Radically different leathers for each.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk