Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REPRO flight jackets a little too good?

Grinder

New in Town
P5640blouson said:
For a reproduction high quality garment. I would say slight aesthetic imperfection is okay, measured by millimeters. It is a hand made garment but any seam/panel off more than a couple of millimeters shows poor craftsmanship for a fine handmade garment. Military manufacture garments are measured in centimeters or quarters of an inch in accuracy when it comes to aesthetics, and anything outright disfunctional is rejected, like a pocket flap that misses the edge of the pocket opening. Check out a Lewis, a Langlitz, a McCoys, or the high end fashion makes and you'll get a good idea of what is possible with fine handmade craft and quality of make.

Appreciate the input P564 - on the collar buttons it must be millimeters and not many at that. I think it's a case of everything was put in the right place but due to the grain of the leather or being off by 1 or 2mm on one side leads to a larger affect when finished. As it is I can't see where the measure is wrong.

With the hangar it is out by a few mm but it's at the back and functionality is unimpaired.

I checked McCoys prices and they kick in at twice what an Aero costs so I'm not sure that millimeter perfection is worth that.

For what I paid I'll take the accuracy over pure precision and perfection.

Fiver64

Practically Family
Handmade?

It just dawned on me after reading these great replies........... is there any garment (except socks maybe) that ISN'T "handmade???" Is there some factory somewhere where you shove a cow, or maybe a roll of tanned leather into one end of a huge machine and out pops a finished jacket on the other?? I think the term "attention to detail" or "craftsmenship" might apply better. Most textile and leather coats, that I'm aware of, are made with someone using a sewing machine and "handsewing" the seams, so it does seem rather silly that a company touts their item as better because it's "handmade." "Made by skilled labor instead of poorly paid, sweatshop children in a reeking backroom of some Malaysian opium den" might be a better label. OK......... so it's a little long for a tag! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails