Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reproduction Western Belts

Mr Badger

Practically Family
I did an FD search for this topic using such phrases as western belts and jewels belt but didn't turn up anything recent, so I thought I'd throw my recent experience into the ring!

Have been off work recovering from a trip to the dentist (root planing – as nasty as it sounds!) so, after some pain killers and a rest, I thought I'd crack on and start on embellishing a hair-on-hide western belt I bought with some jewels and studs...

I do already own a quite nicely done 'hot rod' / 'western' belt but, inspired by Marineabilly and Ace Western Belts, I decided to have a bash at a simple project myself. So I bought some awls off an old guy at a car boot sale (flea market), then ordered some 4mm, 6.5mm and 9mm two-prong dome spots/studs, four different colours of jewel spots, a 1.5" hair on hide belt and a plain square chap buckle off Ebay.

Obviously, being slightly befuddled by painkillers, and never having set a spot/stud before, I was learning as I went along... it turned out alright, I flattened the top of the studs slightly with the hammer, to give it a little more of a handmade/vintage feel, and the only real problem was getting thru the actually very thick belt... the prongs on the spots/studs were barely long enough to go thru the hide and the belt – this is something FDers who have considered undertaking this kind of basic leathercraft should think about – I'd recommend spots with two prongs, no shorter than 4-5mm in length, to go thru one decent thickness of full hide leather, let alone two...

I decided to use 4 & 9mm dome spots and green & red jewel spots for this project – start off easy, like! Whaddya think?

299704_10150857563510471_725635470_21106903_1226505873_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
[video=youtube;amicrtFYgVQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amicrtFYgVQ[/video]

mattfink

Practically Family
A.C. Lyles - yeah, that's not at all what's going on in the process of making a studded belt. I'm sure you had a good laugh.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Nice job! I make them through my company Warpath Leather Goods

Thanks for the kind words, I've got a helluva long way to go before I can match your artistry, sir! If it wouldn't be letting the cat outta the bag, what's a good, non-wholesale online source for studs, spots, etc? There's a pretty limited range on Ebay...

mattfink

Practically Family
There are some places, but you are going to have a hard time getting most of them to ship to the UK. Did you try Tandy leather?

Thanks for the kind words, I've got a helluva long way to go before I can match your artistry, sir! If it wouldn't be letting the cat outta the bag, what's a good, non-wholesale online source for studs, spots, etc? There's a pretty limited range on Ebay...

marineabilly

A-List Customer
I do already own a quite nicely done 'hot rod' / 'western' belt but, inspired by Marineabilly and Ace Western Belts, I decided to have a bash at a simple project myself. So I bought some awls off an old guy at a car boot sale (flea market), then ordered some 4mm, 6.5mm and 9mm two-prong dome spots/studs, four different colours of jewel spots, a 1.5" hair on hide belt and a plain square chap buckle off Ebay.

299704_10150857563510471_725635470_21106903_1226505873_n.jpg

Amazing Mr.Badger! In the process of making a belt and more wallets this very moment.

Here are some I've made for myself over the past several years - All the belts are made by me for me, but sometimes I just overwhelmed with too many in my closet so I'll put some on eBay. For the most part, though, I'll pretty much give 'em away or sell them for super cheap.
photo+1.JPG

DSCN3745.JPG

Picture2.jpg

I gave this one away on my blog and am thinking of giving a few more away soon along with other leathercraft items I've made.
d559c5b6.png

DSCN2275.JPG

DSCN2281.JPG

Mr Badger

Practically Family
There are some places, but you are going to have a hard time getting most of them to ship to the UK. Did you try Tandy leather?

I did have a look on their site but it's pretty run of the mill stuff, really... where did you get those conches with the 'card suit cutouts? And the brass-finished crystal spots? How did you tarnish 'em? Was it a chemical mix or simply burying 'em in the yard? Any help gratefully received!

Amazing Mr.Badger! In the process of making a belt and more wallets this very moment.

Here are some I've made for myself over the past several years - All the belts are made by me for me, but sometimes I just overwhelmed with too many in my closet so I'll put some on eBay. For the most part, though, I'll pretty much give 'em away or sell them for super cheap.

Just beautiful, chap, yourself and Mattfink are waaaaay ahead of me, and your respective blogs are always an inspiration!

Oh yeah, while you're 'ere, onna engineer boot tip:

I'm gonna get my no-brand black engineer boots rebuilt by a local cobbler, who'll put a double thickness leather midsole, leather heel block and Vibrams on for only $60! I did ask him about corded soles but he can't get 'em anymore – had a search online but no-one seems to carry 'em, d'you have any ideas? Would love some Cat's Paw heels, too!

And back to the studding & jewels, I seem to remember you posting some pics of a pair of boots that had a 'starburst' pattern up the front, rather than the sides, could you possibly find the time to repost 'em here? When I get the boots redone, I'm gonna embellish 'em... bought 'em from a boot barn out near Hot Springs, Arkansas bout a decade ago, they were the last pair in the shop, and they've done me proud!

307658_10150861348430471_725635470_21132360_2042971890_n.jpg

Last edited:

Gene

Practically Family

I gave this one away on my blog and am thinking of giving a few more away soon along with other leathercraft items I've made.
d559c5b6.png

I love that one! If you make another one similar in a 38 let me know I'd love to buy one!

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Matt and Marineabilly,
I've often wondered when pondering taking a crack at making one of these myself, what kind of leather do you use for the accent panels? Is it heavy weight stuff, or do you just use scrap upholstery leather or something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ