Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

REQUEST FOR AFTER ACTION REPORTS: New Old Stock (NOS) vs. Used vs. Modern

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Howdy...

I bought a Stetson 25 Open Road at an estate sale this weekend for $5, and it got me started thinking about all of the comparisons between used vintage hats and NOS fedoras, not to mention the differences between modern hats and those from the "glory days".

Let's get some learning going...

I'm very curious to know how the Johnnyphi fedoras are holding up, after 1 1/2 to 2 years of loyal service to those of you who took a chance on them during the auctions.

If you own one of the Johnnyphi fedoras, give us an update.

Here are a few questions that came up when I started selling them:

• Have you had any problems?
  • Was the felt what you expected?
  • How is it holding up?
  • Is the sweatband surviving regular use?
  • How does your Johnnyphi compare to the used fedoras you've picked up?
  • How does your Johnnyphi compare to your modern fedoras?
Don't hold back...

•Have you had any problems? None
•Was the felt what you expected? Yes
•How is it holding up? Great
•Is the sweatband surviving regular use? Yes
•How does your Johnnyphi compare to the used fedoras you've picked up? Rare to find 1940s/50s NOS although it does happen on occassion.
•How does your Johnnyphi compare to your modern fedoras? I don't have any customs but they are much better than any modern production hat I have run across (common knowledge).

RobStC

A-List Customer
johnnyphi said:
Howdy...
If you own one of the Johnnyphi fedoras, give us an update.
Don't hold back...

Only one 'problem' (which actually isn't a problem for me.....;) )

On one of the Adams I got from you the brim binding became detached from the brim over a small length at the front of the hat. Looked like the stitching on the bound edge had just cut through the brim felt too cleanly and separated the binding from the rest of the brim.

Couldn't think of any way of re-attaching it that would work satisfactorily, so after racking my brains for months I eventually had to perform (shock, horror, sacrilege!) an impromptu brim trim. This led me to discover that the resultant brim of 2 1/8" was a very nice size for my proportions (5'11" and slim built). From a hat which was not being worn because of the detached binding, this has now become my most often worn hat.

So a very fortunate sort of 'problem' to have occurred :D

Apart from that, no problems at all, other than the occasional stitch securing a liner in place coming detached. They have held up completely unscathed to Scottish winter weather with its repeated bouts of persistent rain, as well as Scottish summer (with its repeated bouts of persistent rain :( ).

I prefer to wear hats of this vintage as my everyday choice, and see no reason not to continue doing so - certainly not from a hat-durability point. My two Akubras are getting very little wear indeed these days.
And the only reason I'm not buying more hats from you is that a) you don't seem to have any left in my size and b) I'm very happy with the ones I've already got!!

Regards,
RobStC

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
  • Have you had any problems? One - I don't have MORE!!!
  • Was the felt what you expected? I did not have expectations, but very pleased.
  • How is it holding up? Perfectly.
  • Is the sweatband surviving regular use? It is handling my sweaty head just fine!
  • How does your Johnnyphi compare to the used fedoras you've picked up? Most other used fedoras have been in lesser condition to start, but I have one solid contender. Like the Johnnyphi's, it was NOS (or suspected to be) and it is on par.
  • How does your Johnnyphi compare to your modern fedoras? Factory? Blows them away. Custom? Tough call, and it varies. But all in the same general ballpark.

Conclusion - Buying NOS vintage is, in my opinion, the clear winning move if you leave custom modern hats out of the debate. Custom just makes it a too-close-to-call finish. As for scooping up those Johnnyphi's; I have never regretted them for a single moment.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Great news...

Thanks, Mayser! I'm glad to know that you haven't had any problems with your hat.

mayserwegener said:
•Have you had any problems? None
•Was the felt what you expected? Yes
•How is it holding up? Great
•Is the sweatband surviving regular use? Yes
•How does your Johnnyphi compare to the used fedoras you've picked up? Rare to find 1940s/50s NOS although it does happen on occassion.
•How does your Johnnyphi compare to your modern fedoras? I don't have any customs but they are much better than any modern production hat I have run across (common knowledge).

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Perfect for Scottish Weather?

Howdy, Rob. Well done on the successful brim trim! I think I do better with a more narrow brim, as well. I'm also pleased to hear that the hat is holding up to the unceasing Scottish rain, and I'm sorry I don't have any more in your size!

RobStC said:
Only one 'problem' (which actually isn't a problem for me.....;) )

On one of the Adams I got from you the brim binding became detached from the brim over a small length at the front of the hat. Looked like the stitching on the bound edge had just cut through the brim felt too cleanly and separated the binding from the rest of the brim.

Couldn't think of any way of re-attaching it that would work satisfactorily, so after racking my brains for months I eventually had to perform (shock, horror, sacrilege!) an impromptu brim trim. This led me to discover that the resultant brim of 2 1/8" was a very nice size for my proportions (5'11" and slim built). From a hat which was not being worn because of the detached binding, this has now become my most often worn hat.

So a very fortunate sort of 'problem' to have occurred :D

Apart from that, no problems at all, other than the occasional stitch securing a liner in place coming detached. They have held up completely unscathed to Scottish winter weather with its repeated bouts of persistent rain, as well as Scottish summer (with its repeated bouts of persistent rain :( ).

I prefer to wear hats of this vintage as my everyday choice, and see no reason not to continue doing so - certainly not from a hat-durability point. My two Akubras are getting very little wear indeed these days.
And the only reason I'm not buying more hats from you is that a) you don't seem to have any left in my size and b) I'm very happy with the ones I've already got!!

Regards,
RobStC

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Outstanding!

Not-Bogart13 said:
Conclusion - Buying NOS vintage is, in my opinion, the clear winning move if you leave custom modern hats out of the debate. Custom just makes it a too-close-to-call finish. As for scooping up those Johnnyphi's; I have never regretted them for a single moment.

Wow... It sounds like you had the best possible experience. I'm still hoping to hear from folks who might have had a less-positive story to tell.

I did hear of one crumbly sweatband, but I can't remember who it was.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The hats the boy and I bought are holding up great and are my favorite vintage lids. My only regret is that I passed up a few others that I wanted, in retrospect they would have been worth acouple nights on the couch. [huh]

Doggone it Johnny,

I hadn't thought about getting another one from you till I saw this thread!

I have about 5 from you, some are put away for winter, have yet to get them out. They have all been great, mostly Adams, one really nice gray Stetson I posted on the Stetson thread.

I have gotten some nice compliments on the ones I wore last winter and spring.

Wore a silver belly Adam last week, looks good and feels great! I will probably wear another one of them tomorrow.

I have been very pleased and feel that the prices were very reasonable for
new old stock. I have been fortunate enough to catch a few on Ebay that were close if not completely NOS. I like them all.

I have a tendency toward the older hats, I just like the character, but these are the best of both worlds. Now I have to consider if I need another one!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Outstanding...

Thanks for the feedback, Bart!

Speaking of the boy... Can you give us more detail on how that Christmas present is holding up after more than a year? I'm sure he's highly disciplined regarding proper hat maintenance, but if he's anything like I was at that age... I'd imagine he's been a little rougher on his hat than your average Fedora Lounger.

handlebar bart said:
The hats the boy and I bought are holding up great and are my favorite vintage lids. My only regret is that I passed up a few others that I wanted, in retrospect they would have been worth acouple nights on the couch. [huh]

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Reminder...

It's time to unpack those hats for the Fall, and don't forget to visit Johnnyphi.com. I have quite a few hats left in your size, and I think this will be my last season in the hat business, so get them while the getting is good!

(Don't forget to use the coupon code "fedora" to get an additional 25% off of the listed price for each hat.)

hatophile said:
I have a tendency toward the older hats, I just like the character, but these are the best of both worlds. Now I have to consider if I need another one!

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
johnnyphi said:
Thanks for the feedback, Bart!

Speaking of the boy... Can you give us more detail on how that Christmas present is holding up after more than a year? I'm sure he's highly disciplined regarding proper hat maintenance, but if he's anything like I was at that age... I'd imagine he's been a little rougher on his hat than your average Fedora Lounger.

lol Great that you mention that. He has destroyed two wool Indy hats during the course of the last two years but his Christmas hat is holding up great. His hat has been in countless Nerf gun shootouts, light saber battles, and pillow dives off the couches. I give it a brushing every so often and pop the crease back in it when it needs it.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Awesome!!!

That is sooo cool! I'm glad you are BOTH enjoying the hat.

Do you think he's ready for a new... (OOPS!) OLD one? :D

handlebar bart said:
lol Great that you mention that. He has destroyed two wool Indy hats during the course of the last two years but his Christmas hat is holding up great. His hat has been in countless Nerf gun shootouts, light saber battles, and pillow dives off the couches. I give it a brushing every so often and pop the crease back in it when it needs it.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The two Schoble hats that I bought are happily displayed in my store. The quality is incredible.
The Stetson was given to my 8 year old who wears it when we go to the movies. It holds up great!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Outstanding!

besdor said:
The two Schoble hats that I bought are happily displayed in my store. The quality is incredible.
The Stetson was given to my 8 year old who wears it when we go to the movies. It holds up great!

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

It's quite an honor for those old Schobles to be on display in a modern hat store. I'm sure the Schoble family would be proud. In fact, I recently sold a hat that was given to Mr. Schoble's daughter as a gift. I asked her family to get me in touch with her, so I could get more information about the Schoble brand, but I haven't heard back from them.

I'm also glad to hear that the Stetson is holding up to the rigors of an 8 year old!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112