Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reshaping the brim on a wool hat

jec

One of the Regulars
I have a wool outback-style hat (Scala/Dorfman) that I wore as my beater hat for the summer. It was the lid I grabbed as I would head out to the garden or to mow the lawn, and eventually it became drenched with sweat, sunblock and dirt. Of course, it became increasingly misshapen, as well, and I thought it was probably destined for the heap.

But then, figuring that I had nothing to lose (which is when creativity and nerve often intervene), I attacked the brim yesterday with a hot iron, water in a spray bottle and a tea towel (to protect the wool from scorching). After just a few minutes, I was able to take nearly all of the irregularities and waves out of the brim and give it a shape that is again acceptable. A bit of hat stiffener spray this morning has seemed to help firm the reshaped brim, too.

Sure, it will never look as nice as one of my Akubra country hats, but I can wear this one again.

NonEntity

Suspended
Thanks for that tip.

I, too have an old wool felt loden colored Dorfman-Pacific (someone once called it "Dork Man Horrific!") that, in my typical anal way, I have taken as good care of as my nicest hats.

Like you, I do yard work in it, so it's gotten hot and sweaty hundreds of times, and has been through twice that many rain storms.

The problem is that it has gradually developed a droop at the oval where the brim meets the crown, giving the hat a tired and haggard look, not unlike me when I finish a full day of raking and bagging leaves. Rest, Advil, and a few St. Pauli Girl Darks restore me, but they don't seem to do a thing for the DP.

I don't think your tip will rectify this problem, but do you or anyone else have any ideas? Other than this droop, it's still in remarkably good condition.

Yeah, I know, give it to the Salvation Army and just break down and wear my Akubra Angler to do the yardwork--I never seem to find a place to wear this good-looking but extremely casual hat, anyway.

Who?

Practically Family
Why not just wear the Akubras, and spare yourself the stress?

it seems odd that a beat-around hat like an Akubra is deemed “too good to wear”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran