Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resistol Beaver Twenty Project

Annixter

Practically Family
I swung by a thrift store today, and, to my surprise, found a Harry Rolnick Resistol Beaver Twenty in the hat pile. The sweatband/felt labels show size 7, but it is a large 7 and almost fits my 7-1/8 noggin. It was dirty, had the green sweatband reed corrosion saturated through the felt, had a hole punched in the sweat from the sales tag, and had totally rotten sweatband reed threads; however, the felt, ribbon, and sweatband are in wonderful condition. On sale for $5, I couldn't pass it up. I've been looking for a beater, so I figured I'd do a home-grown "restoration" (using the term loosely). I'm no hatter, nor do I have such equipment, so any purists will have to forgive my workarounds and realize I'm doing this to wear and not to showcase.

Today, I disassembled the hat and soaked the felt and ribbon in a cool water bath with Dawn detergent. I worked on the corrosion stain with a toothbrush. I can't tell until the felt dries, but it looks like I got most of it to lift. Filthy water at the start but clear at the rinse.

While I was soaking the felt and ribbon, I removed the sweatband reed stitching, cleaned the corrosion, coated the exposed reed in clear lacquer, and sewed in new thread using the existing holes, expanding the rear joint a little to enlarge the opening. Wanting to ensure the felt doesn't shrink, I made a cardboard template from a well-fitting hat. I don't have a stretcher, and I can't make one from wood because my tools are packed away for an upcoming move. I inserted the cardboard template into the felt for a snug fit, and the felt is currently drying. I'll post an update once the felt dries and I can reassemble the hat.

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations on the find and on your willingness to give the at-home overhaul a shot. You're doing what many of us recommend people interested in learning the hatting craft do: start with beaters. You're likely to end up with a hat that's better than it was when you found it, and even if you ruin it, well, you aren't out much.

Too bad you don't have a block, though. I'm hoping for the best, and perhaps your results will be passable without one. But putting that body on a block, ironing it (using a cloth between the iron and hat body), and leaving it there for a day or so would almost guarantee good results.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks, Tony. Yes, I wish I had some professional tools as well, but I just don't do this kind of stuff enough to justify the purchase. A couple years ago, I found a Royal Stetson in filthy condition, and I ended up removing the lining and ribbon to wash the felt; I didn't remove the sweat and simply flipped it up to keep it out of the water. After the felt dried, I packed a bath towel into the crown and then used an iron (with an ironing cloth like you suggest). I also employed a large wooden spoon as a type of dolly against which I would iron. I was surprised to have gotten decent results, so I'll employ a similar tactic this time around. It'll be interesting any way the hat turns out. It'll make a nice flowerpot if things go to heck:p

I'm impressed. I always pack them off for rennovation if there are sweatband issues, afraid to try my hand at sewing.

Take the plunge. I have little to no experience with a needle and thread, and tackled an old Adams Executive a few weeks ago. The sweat was actually pretty easy to sew in. I purchased a pre-made, pre-cut-to-size leather sweat off of Etsy, and it was a breeze.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Yesterday I cleaned and re-blocked an Appleby I bought off ebay for $39.99. Sweat and liner are in excellent shape but the body was rippled and the ribbon was wrinkled in spots and loose. I blocked it on a hat shaper and proceeded to start washing it with water and terry cloth until all the soil was removed and wetting the ribbon as well while smoothing out the wrinkles. I put it aside to dry. Once dried the ribbon tightened up and was smooth, I steamed the hat while working the felt with a cloth, no ironing was necessary, the brim flange retained it's factory shape. I paced a simple center crease in the crown. The hat looks as if it just came out of the box new, it is a very light felt, soft and thin. I bought it because several years ago I purchased another Appleby OR clone like new and was so impressed with the quality I took a shot this one and I am not disappointed .

Annixter

Practically Family
I had a chance to finish the fedora today. The last couple days, I let the re-sewn sweatband stretch out around a cooking pot that happens to be nearly my exact head circumference. I sewed in the sweat, followed by the ribbon, followed by the lining. I then spent time steaming and working the felt with my hands and a spoon. I plopped it on my head, and it fits like a glove.

The ribbon has a subtle stain near the bow, and I couldn't get all of the green corrosion stain to lift; other than those blemishes, the hat is in wonderful condition. Of course, just as I finished shaping the teardrop a drop of iron water landed on the crown and left a mark :eusa_doh:[huh] Interestingly enough, the bow is positioned further toward the back than centered on the side like all the side-bow fedoras I own/have owned; however, I placed tailors tacks at the corners of the bow before removing it, and aligned the bow to those tacks during reassembly to keep with the original position for old time's sake. Overall, I'm happy as heck with the end result and had fun.

Sorry for some of the picture quality, but the lighting in my place stinks.

Last edited:

Annixter

Practically Family
Thanks for the complements all. I'm hoping I run across another such project, although it took me years and good luck to find this one in a thrift store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider