Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restoring an A-2 advice/ recommendations please...

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi all,

I have picked up a Willis & geiger WW2 style A-2 in good 'nic' :eusa_clap, but I want to 'make it nice'... ;)
Who would you recommend to replace lining and cuffs?

What is the recommendation for a leather conditioner/ hide food? To soften and 'protect' the jacket?
Is there something that would also possibly 'darken' the hide at the same time (even just slightly)?

Then, where can I find a decent leather Blood Chit without paying more than the jacket?

thanks guys

armscye

One of the Regulars
I have not found that Lexol or Pecard's darkened goat or cowhide flight jackets to any significant degree for more than a day, but the one jacket I treated with Obanauf's did turn a definite shade darker, and also looked "thicker" as a result. I used the Obenauf's waxy compund in the tub, but preheated it in a microwave before applying.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
as far as The leather is concerned, It would like a nice Feed of Neatsfoot oil or just regular old mink oil would be a start.

neats foot oil I use because It soaks in deep and is less effort to work it in, my jackets seem to LOVE that stuff.

I will Treat my Jackets with Oil a few times a year, after a few years of this and your jacket will be soft and ply again.

my personal Sentiment about the liner and cuffs, Let it be. Get a jacket that is already NEW if you want it to look NEW!

wear it worn. wear it proud.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
actually, If the Waistband+cuffs+Liner are not Original to the jacket It would be obligated to find authentic Replacement. otherwise, In my oppinion your jacket has better character a little Rough around the edges!!!!!!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I have not found that Lexol or Pecard's darkened goat or cowhide flight jackets to any significant degree for more than a day, but the one jacket I treated with Obanauf's did turn a definite shade darker, and also looked "thicker" as a result. I used the Obenauf's waxy compund in the tub, but preheated it in a microwave before applying.

Yeah, but the oil in the solution Is what gives it that Darker look, when the oil Dries out the jacket may get back to its original hue, it could take a long period of time, I guess thats how I can tell its time for another Treatment to the leather on some of the more worn jackets, when I see where the finish has worn through more, means the oils Dried up and It could use a little drop.

thor

Call Me a Cab
Willis & Geiger A-2 jackets can be found in mint condition on eBay at good prices. I'd only restore an A-2 if it were very rare/collectible since re-doing a lining and/or cuffs can get a little pricey.But good luck on the restoration project friend!

Last edited:

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi all, been snowed under... I have not received the jacket yet... Will post pics once I get it. It seems in good all round shape. I have been considering a 'knock-around' A-2 to 'play' with, ie sew on a Blood chit or even paint on the back.... The measurements appeared perfect, so I went for it. Heres hoping! ;-)

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
yeah, Im gonna start painting flight jackets soon, I need to whip up a new portfolio in the meantime.

I should do Blood chits too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic