Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Reveille and Taps: Daily Meditations" Booklet Issued WWII

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
This was issued or given to my father sometime during the war by a Rev. George Smith. It was prepared by The Committee on Wartime Service of the Church, Dayton, Ohio, by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.

Copyright 1943.

My father, when I knew him, was not a formally religious man. This just came my way from my brother, who found it among the things he gathered up when our mother died.
It's a small booklet, maybe 5" by 3". It contains a meditation for each page, with a scripture reading. "The Candle of the Lord-- John 3:18 22." "I will Rejoice This Day-- II Timothy 1: 1-14," etc.

Anyone ever encounter one before or know more about it?
Dad entered AAF after Pearl Harbor, transferred to infantry in the lead up to D-Day, Landed in ETA soon after and fought across Belgium through The Bulge.

IMG_3429.JPG.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG.JPG

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Everett E. Harris was the editor of a United Brethren in Christ church magazine called "The Watchword" based out of Dayton. A lot of denominations put out little booklets like this one and distributed them to military personnel thru chaplain's offices or thru Gideon-like lay organizations.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I thought it must have come through a unit chaplain or someone like that. Thanks for the Watchword connection--that makes sense.

It would be difficult to trace who George Smith was. If only his name was Zbigniew Crumplesworth or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points