"Reveille and Taps: Daily Meditations" Booklet Issued WWII

Discussion in 'WWII' started by scotrace, Oct 1, 2018.

1. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

This was issued or given to my father sometime during the war by a Rev. George Smith. It was prepared by The Committee on Wartime Service of the Church, Dayton, Ohio, by the Church of the United Brethren in Christ.

Copyright 1943.

My father, when I knew him, was not a formally religious man. This just came my way from my brother, who found it among the things he gathered up when our mother died.
    It's a small booklet, maybe 5" by 3". It contains a meditation for each page, with a scripture reading. "The Candle of the Lord-- John 3:18 22." "I will Rejoice This Day-- II Timothy 1: 1-14," etc.

Anyone ever encounter one before or know more about it?
    Dad entered AAF after Pearl Harbor, transferred to infantry in the lead up to D-Day, Landed in ETA soon after and fought across Belgium through The Bulge.

IMG_3429.JPG.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG.JPG

IMG_3431.JPG.JPG

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Everett E. Harris was the editor of a United Brethren in Christ church magazine called "The Watchword" based out of Dayton. A lot of denominations put out little booklets like this one and distributed them to military personnel thru chaplain's offices or thru Gideon-like lay organizations.

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Deleted earlier post as inappropriate; apologies.

4. scotrace

scotrace Head Bartender Staff Member

I thought it must have come through a unit chaplain or someone like that. Thanks for the Watchword connection--that makes sense.

It would be difficult to trace who George Smith was. If only his name was Zbigniew Crumplesworth or something.