Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reversal reblock

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I’ve been meaning to get to this for a while, and finished it last night. I’d put it the Conversion Corral, except that it’s not a non-fedora-to-fedora conversion. Actually, it’s a front-to-back (or back-to-front) conversion.

I had gotten this Fed III in well-used condition about a year and a half ago. It’s amazingly comfortable. It seemed to have been rebuilt when I got it because the liner has no markings of any kind (Akubra has their label in the top of the liner). The sweat band is also amazingly comfy. I don’t know if it’s because it’s the Deluxe sweat, or just a really good replacement.

The felt is worn pretty well in a few places on the hat, at the brim break, and at the top of the front pinch in particular. I don’t handle my hats by the pinch because I know what that can do to them.

A couple of months ago, the felt at the top of the front pinch was at that point where it was just a hair’s breath from forming a small hole. I put the hat away and made a point to do a reversal. I finally did it this weekend.

Normally, when I do a reblock, if the sweat is okay I just remove the liner, fold the sweat down, wet the felt, and slide it onto the block. Since I was reversing the direction of the hat, I removed the sweat, too.

Here’s the front. It’s wet here as I had just sprayed and put the final tweaks into the bash.

0226120058a.jpg

Here’s a side view.

0226120059a.jpg

On my head:

0226120950.jpg

And before the reblock, old front in the front:

0520001702a.jpg

It still feels like it did before the reblock, but to me looks markedly different. I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've been messing with this hat for about a week now. I've turned it about 30 degrees and relocated the bow. This necessitated removing and then reattaching the liner an ribbon. I'm much happier with it now. I love the new shape. Here's a similar angle picture for comparison to picture 3 in post # 1.

0414121604.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points