Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rework off center pinch or not?

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
My BG Campdraft is my first bash. When I seat the hat where it is comfortable the pinch is off center to the left. So, should I steam and try to rework it or is this just part of the character of a non-factory bash?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451503599.732374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

job

One Too Many
If you don't like it then change it. I like a center crease but play around with it. You won't hurt it. You may like a c crown. LIGHT steam will help a lot to work it and to set it.

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
If you don't like it then change it. I like a center crease but play around with it. You won't hurt it. You may like a c crown. LIGHT steam will help a lot to work it and to set it.
What's the difference in a teardrop and a c crown?

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It depends on what you are comfortable with but since you posted the question I assume you are uncomfortable. The fact is that we all have odd heads. Very rarely are we proportionate left and right so this indicates you are larger on the left side of your head ( think center line) than the right , pushing the crease to the left. In my world I simply twist the band block to center the crease but in your case, as suggested by Tommyk, mist and straighten it out that way. Good luck

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
It depends on what you are comfortable with but since you posted the question I assume you are uncomfortable. The fact is that we all have odd heads. Very rarely are we proportionate left and right so this indicates you are larger on the left side of your head ( think center line) than the right , pushing the crease to the left. In my world I simply twist the band block to center the crease but in your case, as suggested by Tommyk, mist and straighten it out that way. Good luck
I'm not necessarily uncomfortable with it. As far as wearing, the hat is starting to fit great to my head and be very comfortable. Looks wise, I'm just new enough to hats that I'm still debating on what looks "right."

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
wear what you are comfortable with

you will know when both you and the hat are happy

don't look for perfection...

... and character is always good

some of my hats seem to never be "complete" ... I find myself often sitting in conversation just handling them and unconsciously molding them like clay

if something bothers you ... change it ...

but.... I always go by the old Duck Dunn proverb

safetyfast

One of the Regulars
Moon, I always admire your hats. I've fiddled with this one a bit and it seems to just want the crease there. I kind of think it suits me, though I think the brim could use a little work.

If you are noticing it now, you will continue to notice & know it...I always mark my nose with a paper clip on the hatband or ribbon if possible, use a chalk mark if not, so I can line the front crease or pinch up with my nose when the hat is on my noggin.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Moon, I always admire your hats. I've fiddled with this one a bit and it seems to just want the crease there. I kind of think it suits me, though I think the brim could use a little work.

it will get there my friend ... listen to what the hat wants ... it will never lead you wrong

and have fun with it ... an enormous part of the enjoyment of hats is personalizing the shape

I recommend not getting caught up in symmetry ... that always looks forced to me ...

looks great already ... and will only get better

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I did a little more work with the steamer and think I'm a bit more satisfied. View attachment 41130

Looks good. I agree with what the others have said and advice offered. My first Fed IV took several attempts to get it just right for me. I have found the mister with distilled water worked best when I placed the hat on my head and used the mirror to put the pinch in during the rework phase. The great thing about hand bashing is the personality that you give the hat.

humanshoes

One Too Many
In my later years I have embraced the Japanese concept of Wabi-sabi and, for the most part, prefer my personal hats to have a lived in and lived with look. One can always "bend" a good hat to one's will, however, every hat I have owned or made seems to have a voice of it's own and I try to listen to that voice and just let it sing it's own song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
The Campdraft offers you the potential to be what you want it to be. I like the tall crown and ability to shape and reshape it. I would explore higher crown and various shapes to see how they work with your face and body.

Actually, we could not see the crown crease from your front view photo, but the side vents did not look even in the first photo. That just takes practice and you have the best hat for learning.

Enjoy the experiences of boldly learning and wearing that beautiful BGCD.

Fed

What's the difference in a teardrop and a c crown?
As they say, "A picture is worth 1,000 words", so...

Teardrop_C-Crown_zpsumviyymq.jpg

As you can see, a Teardrop crown is essentially shaped like what we commonly associate with the shape of a teardrop. But a C-Crown has a noticeable "break" in the shape between the front and rear of the crown. And here's a more practical visual example, also with a Teardrop crease on the left and a C-Crown crease on the right:

Teardrop_C-Crown_Hats_zpskgpk9e3a.jpg

The difference can be more subtle or more defined, but it's obvious once you know what you're looking for.

Getting back to the main topic, I agree with the previous comments that centering the pinch over your nose is really a matter of personal preference. It's your hat--shape and wear it however you want to.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
if you put your hat on by holding the bash with one hand (like bogart did) you will find the hat is sitting a little crooked anyway. If you want it square on your head it will take some practice or using two hands on the brim. Looks good either way. Wear it in good health.
Johnny

Reactions: RJR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana