Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rick Deckard Costume, more than just a coat

griffer

Practically Family
First off, this is a costume thread about a future noir character- it is only tangentially related to this forum, and I will understand if other loungers feel it isn't appropriate.

So, I started a thread for my wife's half of the costume in the Powder Room, so I thought I'd start one here for mine. Basically, we want to put together a bang up couples costume impression of Rick Deckard and Rachel from 1982s Blade Runner movie.

I am going to give the Nepalese guy a shot on the trench coat, as he seems amenable to my changes/modifications and his price is right.

I also have one blaster in hand, and I am thinking about bidding on another, keeping the better of the two and flipping the lesser.

Blade_Runner-1.jpg

My questions are on the rest of the look; I have been trolling eBay and keeping my eyes peeled, but I only have two.

Starting from most unique (difficult) to least-

1- Hunter Style Sport Coat- half belted, ochre silk sport coat with patch pockets and turn back cuffs-
BR-dekjak-ft.jpg

2- Shirts- one black with small design, one with large muted color stripes
Lot113.jpg

Lot111.jpg

3- Tie- square bottom multi colored square pattern
Lot112.jpg

4- Pants- no good screen caps, but for all purposes they appear to just be a dark grey, possibly flannel. Not remarkable.

5- Shoes- Black, not remarkable.

If you guys see anything like these pieces, I would appreciate a lead. I only need one shirt, and I would prefer it to be the colored one.

I am looking for near facsimile here, not screen accurate fool Ridley Scott type copies.

Thanks!

Jovan

Suspended
Nepalese guy? You mean Baron Boutique? Do tell me how it works out. I think the best way to get the movie look would be to not get quilted lining, or get one that buttons out if you want functionality. Part of what gave it the charm in the movie was that it was imperfect -- wrinkled a bit and draped well.

I wish you best of luck on this project.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Plenty of people on this lounge love retrofuture.
Interesting project. Stylewise, I always thought Tyrell looked cooler than Deckard. I also liked what's his name, the Chinese (?) cop who doesn't speak English throughout the movie until the end when he says, "Deckard! Too bad she won't live forever! But then again, who does?" Perhaps his name was Gaffe?
Can't you get the tie made for about 20 bucks by a tailor as long as you find the fabric? I guess that's the rub.

Edward

Bartender
Jovan said:
Nepalese guy? You mean Baron Boutique? Do tell me how it works out. I think the best way to get the movie look would be to not get quilted lining, or get one that buttons out if you want functionality. Part of what gave it the charm in the movie was that it was imperfect -- wrinkled a bit and draped well.

I wish you best of luck on this project.

I'm no Blade Runner expert, but I knbow if I was trying to simulate the look, I'd probably be inclined to make sure that the coat was anything but well pressed - keep it in your lounge, rolled up in a ball. Use it as a footrest. Sit on it. Sleep on it. (I remember breaking in a biker jacket when i was younger, I got caught on and stopped by my folks trying to make the bed with it under the sheet - the plan was to sleep on top of it for a week! :eek: ).

Edward

Bartender
griffer said:
Yeah, it's more money, but if I am trying to save a nickel ...

Aye, now there's the rub... seems to me you'll have to decide whether this is a one-of you're gonig to wear noce (in which case go with the duster) or if it's something you really want to have together to wear again and again.... in which case, investing in the rightg thing might be your best bet...

Dr Doran

How much trouble would it be to get the cheap duster and just get the collar replaced with a full corduroy or whatever the devil it is?

griffer

Practically Family
not much i suppose, but there's the collar AND the cuff issue.

Also, i keep worrying about the back- if the rain cape is too big, i'll always look like a kangaroo herder from behind.

Sigh, if i take the expensive route, will I wear that one? it's far from a traditional burberry...

Dr Doran

griffer said:
not much i suppose, but there's the collar AND the cuff issue.

Also, i keep worrying about the back- if the rain cape is too big, i'll always look like a kangaroo herder from behind.

Sigh, if i take the expensive route, will I wear that one? it's far from a traditional burberry...

I like your project and I like your perseverance.
I guess these are the questions you might ask yourself:
1/ Can you do the adjustments yourself?
2/ Do you personally know a seamstress or tailor?
3/ Do you have a lot of money to blow?

If 1 or 2 are yes, and 3 is no, I'd buy the duster for $150 and do the ajoutements.

griffer

Practically Family
Well, more like No to all three.

So, I am shopping tailors this week (I am such an off the rack guy, I haven't needed a tailor of any skill until i recently lost weight. So needless to say I have a few things that need to be taken in.)

The flip side is that as a 44 Reg, I could always eBay the quality replica better than I could a duster.

I think I may take the plunge. I have the money to spend, I just don't like spending it. But, if the thought of the other leaves me with regrets and anxieties about cut and color beforehand, I don't think I can be happy otherwise.

I am even planning on cutting and coloring my hair for this. If I am going that far, I might as well go the distance.

Dr Doran

And getting contact lenses, I trust?

(Oh, and my present tailor is crap too ... all I trust him to do is pantscuffs, waist, and sleeve-lengthenings on jackets ... I need some buttons moved on a DB to make it fit me, and I do NOT trust him to do that.)

Edward

Bartender
griffer said:
I am even planning on cutting and coloring my hair for this. If I am going that far, I might as well go the distance.

Hell, yeah. and if you buy a decent coat, you might well wear it again - far from traditional, sure, but nonetheless a wearable everyday coat is probably worthe spending the money on rather than an expensive costume piece you won't wear again....

griffer

Practically Family
TM said:
Hello Grifter,

It's nice to see a healthy obsession!

Here's contact lenses for you:

http://www.9mmsfx.com/lenses.html

Tony

Thanks, but not quite.

Remember, "More Human, than Human". Replicants had regular eyes, Chew saw to that.

Hannibal Chew: I just do eyes, j'j'... just eyes... just genetic design, just eyes. You Nexus, huh? I design your eyes.
Roy Batty: Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes.

They did have a red glow inside. A contact would have to be a nautral iris, with some red pearlescent pupil treament.

I still think it was a classic lighting/red eye mistake that Scott liked and spun into symbolism. They are, afterall, organic beings- there are no electrodes or glowing red LEDs in a Replicant.

Feraud

Bartender
griffer said:
I still think it was a classic lighting/red eye mistake that Scott liked and spun into symbolism. They are, afterall, organic beings- there are no electrodes or glowing red LEDs in a Replicant.
Agreed. :)

MB5

One of the Regulars
Actually the shoes are special. They were identified as Adidas, I believe referee shoes. In some shots you can see the three rows of holes punched in the side. Though that level of detail certainly isn't necessary.

The closest off-the-rack shirt I have found is by Claiborne. I found it on clearance two winters ago.
BRshirt.JPG

Indy Magnoli was looking into making the tie.
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=22231

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Doran
I also liked what's his name, the Chinese (?) cop who doesn't speak English throughout the movie until the end when he says, "Deckard! Too bad she won't live forever! But then again, who does?" Perhaps his name was Gaffe?

Edward James Olmos played this character. Chang keeps running thru my mind but I'm not certain. Of course, anyone playing/dressing-up-as this character must be a wiz at origami.

BTW, I have a Polo tie that is made like this but it's dark green with red horizontal stripes. Don't know where I got it but this style of tie sometimes shows up on Ebay or in a thrift store.

Jovan

Suspended
If you can't get an exactly screen accurate tie in time, your best bet would be looking for any skinny square bottomed tie that simply looks like it'd be part of Deckard's wardrobe. There's any number of '80s made cotton knits you could find at a thrift store that would work -- I have one that would look excellent if you're interested.

Good work on the shirt. It's a dead ringer, even for a detail obsessed person like myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points