Ride in Style - Show your vintage motorcycle riding gear

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Antique Indian Motocycles, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Antique Indian Motocycles

Antique Indian Motocycles Familiar Face

As we started to talk about kidney belts, or riding belts, as they were called also, let’s put a light onto that one I am wearing on this photos.
    3C3FA5A7-B348-4812-ACD3-338A85A7D5B7.JPG EFB44526-FCCE-42CF-85D9-F21A19442C35.JPG

2. Antique Indian Motocycles

Those belts were customized and adorned to the owners pleasure mostly. In the mid 1930s motorcycle companies and aftermarkets took their chance to launch decorated belts.
    Here you see the “Indian head” chain leather belt, offered by the Indian Motocycle Co. in 1948. This belt and the “Indian Ranger” leather jacket are the most iconic assessors that were offered by Indian now and then.
    It´s very comfy to wear because of the chain leather design and still very soft.
    It hides a secret,too........
    Enjoy the photos.

IMG_1355.jpeg IMG_3408.jpeg IMG_3424.jpeg IMG_3355.jpeg

3. 41eiffel

41eiffel Familiar Face

little ride last weekend ! great thread :)

FB4E301B-75D5-45CD-ACA6-AC6C34087E7E_1_105_c.jpeg

lina, Canuck Panda, photo2u and 12 others like this.
  4. jonbuilder

jonbuilder My Mail is Forwarded Here

definitely stylish I found the 40s gloves with the fine stitching around individual fingers gave me great deterity

5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

very striking look, both bike and the riding gear and you pull them off naturally, it is a challenging thread to follow up with.

6. Antique Indian Motocycles

Salut! Great to see your post. Please tell us some details on your riding gear, if you want.....

7. Antique Indian Motocycles

Thank you. It´s all about fun with vintage riding gear. Please do not take any pictures as a score...or a challenge.

Edward likes this.
  8. Edward

Edward Bartender

Great looking belt! Are the brown sections in the 'chain' shape where black dye has worn off over time, or were they part of the original design? (Looks uniform enough both sides it can be the latter). I've seen a few kidney belts with that style of construction, as distinct from single pieces of leather the full width of the belt. Clearly a much more complicated construction process, but looks fantastic and I can completely see how it would play to comfort. Lovely piece. The idea of the fluorescent paint being used is an interesting concept - I wonder was the intent purely cosmetic, or are we looking at an early example of visibility as safety factor?

9. Antique Indian Motocycles

The chain belt is made of brown and black leather pieces. I have belts with 3 different patterns. Will show how it was tooled.

The fluorescent color was both, I think. This belt model is the only one known with this feature. Unfortunately it doesn´t shine at night anymore…paint is too old.
    Buco had reflecting ornaments on both kidney belts and saddle bags.

Indian also launched a leather jacket with reflecting collar and bi-swings in 1959.

jonbuilder and Edward like this.
  10. Edward

Edward Bartender

You know, it strikes me now that the plastic 'jewels' commonly used to decorate jackets back then would have served that function too.... Interesting, not something I'd thought about before beyond the aesthetics.

11. 41eiffel

41eiffel Familiar Face

Hello ;)
    I’m wearing my new grizzly from Mister freedom, bought on this forum ! And Larry is wearing a b2 from buzz !
    Nice belt, I have a few will post a pic !

12. 41eiffel

41eiffel Familiar Face

Some Harley, Indian, buco and beck ! Capture d’écran 2021-10-20 à 15.53.08.png

13. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Great hobby. I’d really to get into it. I love bikes but I’m a terrible mechanic. I’m guessing that bike requires regular love.

14. 41eiffel

41eiffel Familiar Face

don't !! it's a disease ... and then you'll never have enough money to buy drugs !

15. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

I won’t let that happen!
    Plus, i mean, i’m a REALLY bad mechanic. Every time I pick up a screwdriver the 4 nearest screw heads strip themselves. I’ll stick with modern bikes and continue to imagine I’m riding vintage.

16. Antique Indian Motocycles

WOW! Let's say you got it all. Impressive collection. Love the customized Indian DeLuxe and HD Rhino.

17. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Is the purpose to compensate for the lack of suspension?

Edward likes this.
  18. Antique Indian Motocycles

Correct 40s outfit and enjoying her Chief. Any guess on that jacket?

Lady rider.jpg

19. EAC

EAC New in Town

Looks like an aviator style jacket (no collar studs, no belt loops or attached belt, buttoned instead of zippered cuffs, likely a half-belt back); it could be a Block Bilt:

[​IMG]

Canuck Panda, Edward, photo2u and 3 others like this.
  20. Antique Indian Motocycles

I guess , you nailed it!

EAC likes this.