Right length of B-6 jacket

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Harris HTM, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

hello everybody!
    I am interested in getting a B-6 jacket. This will be my first sheepskin jacket and I was wondering what the correct back length is. I am a short and stocky guy, in my horsehide halfbelts and peacoats I had to shorten length and sleeves by 1 inch.
    Thanks!

2. mr_lits

mr_lits A-List Customer

Depends on the company but I will say that my B6 is an inch or two longer than my B3. Both are tagged the same size but from different makers.
    What company are you thinking of going with?

3. tonypaj

tonypaj Practically Family

Get a D-1. Sort out the specs with the manufacturer, there's no correct, what you like is fine. B-6 is tapered, not so great with stocky build...

JDelage likes this.
  4. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

I was thinking a Simmons Bilt. The typical length (collar to bottom) is 26inch.

Is it really a tapered jacket? do you think it will look saggy?

5. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

This is my ELC RW B-6 taken a couple of years ago.
    It's a standard size 42 - and I'm not a big guy either - I used to be 5'8" but was rather startled to discover that I'm now 5'7" at my last annual medical! I'm around 155 lbs and fairly proportional.
    I can measure the back of my B-6 tonight and give you the back length tomorrow, but for now, here are some photos. I apologize for the strange colour res. of the last few photos. Why my camera did that, I still have no idea.

B-6#1.jpg B-6#2.jpg B-6#3.jpg B-6#4.jpg B-6#5.jpg B-6#6.jpg

And I like the waist zips about 40-50% closed - so it's not as tapered as it could be. There's room for adjustment.
    I preferred this size so that there's room for a good sweater and my ELC C-3 vest too if I want and the jacket's just perfect with those too.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    alfyman, Monitor, w126c and 2 others like this.
  6. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Hey Stand By, this is a really nice jacket with an excellent length! I also measure 5'8'' so if you could measure it it would be perfect!

Stand By likes this.
  7. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Thanks - and no problem, Harris. Will have it for you tomorrow.

8. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Perfect! Thanks!!

Stand By likes this.
  9. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

I love the B-6. Along with the ANJ-4, one of my favourites. I prefer it to the D1. I just don't know how much use I would get out of it in Oz.

10. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

At least more than with an Irvin! 6 years in Melb and apart from the odd cold night over winter out in the garden, there was only one day where I wore it into work.

You'd get more use with a B-6 but really it depends on where you live. If you're in Vic or the ACT you'd probably get a little use out of one every year in winter.

11. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Good morning Harris.
    26"(from the seam where the collar meets the back panels to the very end of the hem - the fleecy edge).

12. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

Thank you Stand by!!!

13. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

ACT??
    You're welcome - glad to help.
    And what Tonypaj meant by a "tapered" fit, I think he was referring to the D-1's more "boxy" cut on the body (just like a B-3) compared to the B-6 which is a little more rectangular (as it's a touch longer in the body) and is cut just a bit trimmer and can be cinched in with the waist adjuster zips to seal out any draughts - so depending on your build and body-type (if you're a little more solid and square in the torso, say), a D-1 would be a good alternative to consider if it applies.
    I hope that helps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  14. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

15. Harris HTM

Harris HTM One Too Many

That's a great jacket, isn't it? I will PM Xopher about the length!
    PS - leather jackets are sooo addictive. By the time I get one I have already started looking for the next one. Not good for my savings though.

Stand By and RJR like this.
  16. RJR

RJR

Great looking jacket.

Stand By likes this.
  17. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Oh addictive indeed!
    For me, it can take just one vintage patch to set me off - a great, vintage patch that just needs the right jacket…! Oh dear.

Harris HTM likes this.
  18. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Not the most pleasant state or territory in Oz (IMHO) Stand By but it can get pretty nippy in the nights there over winter (by Australian standards anyway).

Nice B-6 BTW, one of the nicest that's been posted here ;)

Stand By likes this.
  19. Bunyip

Bunyip Call Me a Cab

Yep ACT right now. Spent the last couple of winters way up north in Mackay, and hopefully heading to Sydney soonish. Always trying to get further up! Shearling is too much of a gamble for me, as I could end up living anywhere!

20. Stand By

Stand By One Too Many

Interesting to know …
    And thank you kindly, Smithy! :) And I'm debating whether or not to put an original WW2 vintage patch on the front right breast (no shoulder patches - just the one) - it's a great design in orange and blue, so they're complimentary colours and it'd look great on the redskin leather, I think. I know the jacket's nice as it is - but I love this patch. Ah, the indecision! This is the closest anxiety I'll ever get to having a tattoo !!!