Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RMCNZ B3 Whiteskin

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Just received my new B3 Whiteskin by Real McCoys New Zealand. I have waited years to find one in whiteskin, though strikes fear me to have a white leather jacket. Quite happy with the fit and feel, I think I will end up living in it this winter. The leather is soft and smells like heaven. Sleeves are a bit long but I haven't rolled the cuff yet and think I could take up the slack that way in a jiffy. I will post up some detail pics this evening.

IMG_3642.JPG
IMG_3664.JPG
IMG_3666.JPG
\

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Lovely. What's the finish on the skin like? Is it shiny or suede-ish? I think they look great but I'd fear getting filthy walking from the house to the car...

mr_lits

A-List Customer
It is a suede-like finish, creamy white in color. And yeah... it scares the hell out of me and think that in time I will just need to embrace the way it will take marks.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Best way to approach it. I've handled an original and they are very cool, but they certainly don't look 'as new'.
You have handled an original whiteskin B3!? Holy crap that's like riding a unicorn to take a swim with a narwhal!!
I have a B3 photo archive and this one matches the 1937 SFAD almost to a T.

Attachments

• B-3.jpg
    B-3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 374
Just received my new B3 Whiteskin by Real McCoys New Zealand. I have waited years to find one in whiteskin, though strikes fear me to have a white leather jacket. Quite happy with the fit and feel, I think I will end up living in it this winter. The leather is soft and smells like heaven. Sleeves are a bit long but I haven't rolled the cuff yet and think I could take up the slack that way in a jiffy. I will post up some detail pics this evening.
That jacket looks like it will serve you well in Alaska man. I agree with your sentiment. Wear it like it was meant to be worn and it'll be all the more genuine. That's an absolute fortress!!!

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Thanks Tony, it is a beast for sure.

Here are a few more shots of it with some of the details. I like the Talon zip but it is a bit finicky. I'm hoping that with a bit of use it will smooth out a bit.

Still trying to figure the use of the buckle on the chest though.

IMG_4624.jpg
IMG_4625.jpg
IMG_4626.jpg
IMG_4628.jpg
IMG_4629.jpg
d

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
mr_lits said:
And yeah... it scares the hell out of me and think that in time I will just need to embrace the way it will take marks.
Once it's worn in and worn out and marked up it will look amazing and everyone will try to steal it from you. It's only going to get better with age.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
mr_lits said:
Still trying to figure the use of the buckle on the chest though.
I suspect it's a way of securing the collar down when the collar is closed. One of the two loops on the collar might fit into it. Experiment.

alfyman

One of the Regulars

View attachment 58114 View attachment 58115 View attachment 58116 \
Wow! I love it, very Nice..Wow.. :)

HPA Rep

Vendor
I suspect it's a way of securing the collar down when the collar is closed. One of the two loops on the collar might fit into it. Experiment.

Absolutely correct, Doc, that is what the chest buckle is for! This early design didn't have the press studs mounted on the upper chest found on the next B-3 generation, which allow for the collar to be secured to the jacket body to keep it from flopping around in the wind in open cockpits or if near an opening in the a/c while in flight.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Congrats! That is a real masterpiece B-3 that seems to be executed to near perfection. I have owned three of these civilian-contracted vintage B-3's (not the depot-made versions as produced by SFAD), all manufactured in 1937, and I've handled about three more, all being the same regarding spec., though made by three different contractors. Buzz Rickson's made one many years back that was perfectly detailed and based on the mintiest one I owned (still has the large inspector mark in a blueish ink on the outside of the lower hem sheepskin panel) and I wish I had gotten one from BR; they made very few and found it too costly to make it worth offering again.

Those Talon and Hookless zips with the large fantail puller and riveted base can sometimes be stiff. I've written about these in at least one other thread and all of those that are problematic I've seen were readily fixed by simply resetting the gap between the two halves of the slider (it's usually too tight).

It's great to see someone offering this B-3 that was still sparsely but noticeably worn in combat in WWII (even by VIII Bomber Command), but I thought RMNZ was gone. Have they resumed ops now???

Good luck!

Last edited:

kowalski

Practically Family
Hi Mr Lits
Absolutely beautiful jacket , these jackets won the 2WW ;)
(for the love of them i decided rebuild my original B3 :cool:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112