Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road to Perdition, Tom Hanks Polo Coat - NEED HELP!!!

SappySwami

Familiar Face
I'm not sure who made it, but I remember hearing that they had to have the wool specially woven for it, and the rest of the clothes in the movie, in New York. I would love to get my hands on some of the clothes that were in that movie.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Swami's right, just about everything in the movie was custom tailored. I own the DVD, there's a long feature on the sets, clothes and cars...they wanted the look of the fabric to be perfect, so they had a mill produce all of the fabric for it. One of the primary issues was the fabric weight, which as I've said elsewhere, is severely lacking in modern clothing.

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
Perditions Coat

I posted on this incredible coat some while back and have been on the hunt ever since. At the time, some thought it was a standard Wool overcoat but hearing this it confirms there was something unique about it indeed.

If I ever do come across something close I'll be sure to share the source. I'm happily making do with a 40's full length overcoat that weigh's a ton :eek: but looks fantastic. It's a rusty dark red with muted red lines woven in. Until I find Perditions coat it'll do.

I'd post a pic but I don't know how :cry: . I even have a winter shot sitting in the computer. Can anyone explain how Fotki works (does it cost anything)...Ah...I'll try and look it up.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike Sullivan clothing (Tom Hanks) in Road to Perdition...

I just watch this movie now to look at the clothes. It's a pretty good reference film and often I'll just freeze frame it to look at things in more detail. Sad eh!! but it gives me ideas.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my 'wanna-be"..

I now have a slightly longer one of which I have yet to photograph. (I can shoot 'em, I just can't download 'em!). Great movie! Great wardrobe!

-dixon cannon

05976e74.jpg

...and Mike Sullivan
ea6186ac.jpg

Thornhill

New in Town
I have a Macinaw cruiser from Filson which is about the best wool coat I've ever worn. Why can't I find a calf length over coat made with this quality wool? All of the mens coats I see in stores are usually a wool/cashmere blend. This feels wimpy to me. I like my Mac cruiser because it is so thick and scratchy. If they had wool specially woven for one film, why couldn't someone like Magnoli do the same?

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Thornhill said:
If they had wool specially woven for one film, why couldn't someone like Magnoli do the same?

Budget. I've been looking into some custom fabric for a suit and often times, the minimum order is something like 3-10K yards. :eek:

You're right about the availability of wool though. Most of the "scratchy" stuff you're talking about is a wool/cashmere blend. The standard overcoat material I use is a 14oz 80% wool/cashmere blend with the typical overcoat flannel feel to it.

I do have some 75% wool in a 14oz herringbone weave, though it'd probably be better suited to, er... a suit. :eek:

Kind regards,
Indy

Thornhill

New in Town
Most of the "scratchy" stuff you're talking about is a wool/cashmere blend.

My Filson, which my cats found fit to use as a vomitorium last night :rage: , is supposed to be "100% virgin Wool". I assumed that this is why it was rough and scratchy, because it wasn't blended with a softer fiber like cashmere. No?

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
That's true; you can have relatively smooth pure wool or very itchy wool (think of tweeds, for example). But, what I meant was that the "itchy" overcoat fabric that most people are used to is this wool/cashmere blend.

Kind regards,
Indy

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Cuffs

I agree. In the UK we call those 'American cuffs'. I have a British coat from the 1940s that is virtually identical to the coat in Road to Perdition, but without the cuffs.

Alan

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you'll notice...

... in my previous picture post, my shorter coat has the cuffs and the longer version has no cuffs. Both items obtained in thift shops in and around Phoenix, AZ.... apparently no one ever actually needs such a coat in Arizona.....'cept for FLoungers like me!

-dixon cannon

The real Henry

Practically Family
@Indy Magnoli: You're right, that's one of the details that makes this coat so special. I also think the pockets and the rounded edges at the bottom are VERY hard to find on modern coats!

@Dixon Cannon: Don't get me wrong, I like your coats, but the style of those is completely different to what we see in 'Road to Perdition'!

Regards,
Henrik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points