Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Road Trip! Vanson's in Fall River 6/26/2013 (Pic Heavy)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As I mentioned before I and a Bud from work planned on making a trip from Albany, New York to Fall River Mass. to take in the Vanson factory and perhaps buy some gear. Jim, Deputy Director of my office, rides (he has no wife or kids but 6 Ducati's and almost as many Rice Rockets) and needed a new leather jacket as his previous Vansons had AHEM... "shrunk in the wash" particularly around his middle. Me? I just wanted to see one of the major specialty leather makers in Country. We got a late start from work but we were traviling in style in Jim's "35th Anniversary Yank Me Yellow Nissan 300 Z". 300 Horses and traveling through the Berkshire Mountains we used almost every last one of em.

AustinsZCar_zpsac4aff6d.jpg

Three hours of sturm and drang later (including 20 minutes of "I've been here a dozen times before" wandering) we arrived at our destination.

IMG_1075_zps8099dfb2.jpg

Nice warm welcome.

IMG_1076_zpsf04f504d.jpg

Words to live by but they should've included "abandon cash all ye who enter here!"

IMG_1077_zps7515bbdb.jpg

I've seen worse waiting rooms.

IMG_1078_zps6b52180d.jpg

Couch looks a little worse for wear.

IMG_1079_zps039dc3f8.jpg

Wall of fame, lots of famous autographs.

IMG_1083_zps5b7c5f0d.jpg

Despite coodinating a huge shipment to Japan the company owner Mike Van Der Sleesen took the time time to personally show Jim and I around the main floor.

IMG_1101_zps32193de1.jpg

Mike's better half Kim!

IMG_1086_zps91f95046.jpg

Racks and Racks of jacks! Come down, take a look, haggle try on... it's wonderful!

IMG_1087_zpsf0d78e80.jpg

When Kim learned that we'd made a 3 hour pilgrimage to the factory and that I planned to do a photo tour on the F.L (which they were thorough familiar with by the by), she asked their sales rep Constatine to show us around. Constantine was newly arrived from Greece via a multi-year stay in France but he knew the layout from stem to stern.

End of Part 1

Worf

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Part 2:

IMG_1088_zps6cc74a22.jpg

First step.... upstairs to where the real work is done.

IMG_1092_zpsfedf7413.jpg

Jackets ready for shipping.

IMG_1093_zps1ec7f2df.jpg

Some jackets still cut by hand!

IMG_1099_zps28f504b8.jpg

Computers to get the most out of every hide.

IMG_1102_zps345d2cbb.jpg

Some new colors for planned models.

IMG_1103_zps19875de7.jpg

"Ducati Red" and "British Racing Green"!

IMG_1105_zps075b59f8.jpg

Ms. Quality Control!

IMG_1110_zps4252c78c.jpg

The Full Monty!

IMG_1111_zps8f9b1de2.jpg

Last but not least "Tin Cloth" or waxed Cotton!

IMG_1114_zps6178ad5e.jpg

In Black too!

Final Thoughts:

This was a great trip... we were given a warm welcome, despite a million things going on, and shown everything and allowed to take as many pics as we wanted. Purchases? Well Jim bought a new jacket with convertible perforation that can be opened and closed at will to promote cooling, yet not compromise saftey. Me? That reddish brown "Ike" you saw me wearing was/is a "one of a kind" jacket. The hide is steer but a lighter and oiler finish than they normally use and they can't get anymore right now. Also the jacket has no zip sleeves. Because combined we spent so much dosh, they cut me slice off the price. So that jacket now resides with me. Great trip! If you're ever in Boston for anything make that hour drive it'll be well worth it.

Worf

wdw

One Too Many
Interesting report Worf. It's always good to see behind the scenes.

Congrats on the very fine new purchase.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Great stuff. Trust you'll give us some more pics of the jacket, too! :D

When the temps drop below 80 degrees and the dew point as well pics will arrive. I love the jacket. Sleeves are a little big around but the fit and finish is superb and the contrasting stitchin? Fuggedaboudit!

Worf

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I was just thinking about your trip last night a wondered what happened - and bang! A full report!

Glad you bought a souvenir of the trip.

How was the aroma?

John

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I was just thinking about your trip last night a wondered what happened - and bang! A full report!

Glad you bought a souvenir of the trip.

How was the aroma?

John
Not quite up there with a trip to a distillery or a crafter where they hand roll cigars but pretty damn close. There's no air conditioning in that shop... hence the open door so I was more concerned about melting... but when I first walked in the smell of tanned leather was quite beautiful!. Old converted, New England Mill, probably woolens built in 1897 our there abouts.

Worf

schitzo

Suspended
Worf, major kudos for thinking of us losers! Very well played indeed sir

That was very decent of them to let you take pictures at will. Re the new jacket, from that brief glimpse, I think, this one is my favourite of all that I've seen you in. I really am digging the colour, what is that?

majormajor

One Too Many
Good stuff!

I love the fact that all these small independent companies have such fabulous, dedicated staff!:D;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Worf

Looks like you had a great Trip. I love the textile "field jackets", they look great. You had a great way to get there too.

Later

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the love folks. Despite the squabbling and cat calls... this is the first place I visit every morning. I'll do a deeper in-depth of the jacket when weather and time allow. I don't know if anyone's ever done a pictorial of Vanson's before so I just thought I'd share. Schiz, I don't know the color or the exact name of the hide I was a bit overwhelmed but I'll call or email and get it. Contrasting stitching is... wonderful.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk